+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Landlord/Tenant question

Re: Landlord/Tenant question

I never wanted to be a landlord, but when we moved to our condo, the twin home prices , along with the other home prices, sank. And my daughter still needed a place to live. yeah, she's 25, but still in school.

so, her boyfriend pays us rent (yeah, a little lower but it will be going up next year) - and a coworker of hubbys needed a place just as we were getting ready to rent the other side - but little things needed done and he is a handyman type. so, gave him a break for a few months. He loves it and is already talking about buying it in a couple years or so.

If it wasn't for the $$$ we are doing to improve the property, it wouldn't be too bad. 'friend' keeps it neat and tidy, Daughter is another story. oh well, kids.

but, at least I don't have to deal with strangers, which was going to be my biggest problem (I was completely dreading it). I'm thinking it will all work out. Daughter is getting married next year, but they are talking several more years (school, student loan, save up for a house).
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3530282;
    Wow! You sound like the perfect tenant, gabriel! They're lucky to have you. I'd give you a break in the rent, too, for all that. I would never want to have rental units. I've heard too many horror stories.
    Actually I do things that I do simply because I want things to be a certain way, without the hassle of owning a home. I can keep my apartment as I want and yet if something major happens, like water heater, furnace problems etc., I do not directly have to pay thousands and thousands to repair/replace stuff.

We've had tenants ask if they could paint the walls a different color. Depends on how long they have been tenants.....and how long they plan on staying! If the color is too bold, or strange, they are told that they will have to paint it a more neutral color before they move out.

They can also put in different fixtures but they have to put the old ones back in when they move out. Only fair, they bought them because they liked them. May have even paid a pretty penny for them too. As long as the next tenant has some lights or faucets, etc., we are happy.

The lady who has been there 27 years pays the cheapest rent. She's also the oldest tenant, the one who mails us the next month's rent during the third week of the previous month. Never fails. Hubby will go down and put in her box air conditioner in the spring/take it out in the fall. Other more able-bodied tenants can do that kind of stuff on their own.

Another guy does do a lot of the yardwork and gets a cut on his rent.

Our kids, I am pleased to say, really do keep their house nice and clean. They mow the lawn, shovel the snow, clean the gutters. All that sort of stuff.

All the sites I checked out indicated that the landlord isn't responsible for changing the locks, but my son talked to the lady tonight and she was aware that there are extra keys out there and offered to change the locks herself. He didn't even have to bring it up. I think she's just glad that she's getting the old tenant out. He owes her over $1500 and since the monthly rent on the place is only $250, he's been behind for awhile. I have to say, I'd have kicked his butt out long ago.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I probably would've too, Lil Bit. The problem is when you're out of state, you have to hire someone to do all the legwork (usually an attorney), and then someone separate has to be your representative. Apparently lawyers can't deliver the eviction notice directly. At least that's what they told us for Ohio.

Now of course, our tenants have decided not to move out last weekend, becuase they were "too busy". So they're moving out this weekend. Since they moved in a week before they were supposed to, they owe us extra rent. But I doubt we'll see it, unless we take them to court. Not sure if it's worth it.

You shouldn't have to hire anyone to be your instate rep. You can serve people any notice thru certified mail to their last known address (usually the one they are renting from you..lol) and it is considered legal. You do not have to be at court dates because once a notice has been "served", the attorney can now act as your representative. On the lease, it should have the exact start date of the lease, and the exact ending date as well. Check and see if there is a move out notice clause. Move out notice requirements change from lease to lease sometimes. They are responsible for paying the rent thru the move out notice, as well as any days over that time. If the lease expires on August 31st, and they move out August 12th, they are still required to pay the rent thru the end of the lease. I hope this makes sense.

No I am not an attorney, just to be clear, so your rules and laws maybe different in your state. I really wish I knew landlord tennant law in all the states...it would come in handy more often than not. lol

Thanx, Kewtiebaby.

This attorney I spoke with said we would have to get a representative, and while it could be a family member, I wouldn't want to subject my busy daughter or my step-dad to all the legwork required. Perhaps that was the attorney's was of trying to get more $ out of us.

Our tenants move in date was 8/1/08 and they moved in AN HOUR after we moved out on 7/25/08. Hadn't even had the carpet cleaners in yet and they knew that. Technically, they're supposed to pay until 7/31/09, however, they want to move out a month earlier so they could get this bigger place. I told them they could move whenever they want, but they're still legally responsible for paying July's rent, which of course they disagree with.

I'm just not sure it's worth all the hassle to take them to court for 1 week + 1 month rent. Their deposit should cover all the crap they pulled out of my house illegally.

We're going back home tomorrow. According to my step-dad, the house is pretty clean and they re-painted everything. However, the brand new carpeting in Bedroom 3 (which we installed weeks before we moved, and after our daughter moved out) is a mess they said, and the basement apparently has never been cleaned.

Of course, we didn't get a check for the carpeting the DID rip out illegally, or the rent they owe, or the Captain's rail they ripped out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011