+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breast Reduction, Seriously

Breast Reduction, Seriously

This is kind of personal, but we're kind of like family, so here goes:

I have questions for those of you that have had or have thought about having a breast reduction. Although I know that technically men can have this sort of surgery, I'm really aiming this towards women. Sorry!

I am thinking about having a reduction done and have even scheduled a consultation appointment with a plastic surgeon's office for next week. Just about everyone I have spoken to around here so far knows someone who has had a reduction and absolutely loves it. Nothing about the actual procedure or pain, complications or scarring. What sort of questions should I be asking the surgeon during a consultation? Will he take measurements at that initial meeting or just ask me to lift my shirt? (I'm not shy about showing anything to a doctor, so I'll strip naked if need be.) What kind of recovery time would I be looking at? What kind of special bras or clothing would I need to wear during or after surgery? What should I be prepared for after the surgery?

I have read a little bit about the surgeon on-line and seen some before and after photos of his patients, they look much, much better in the after shots. He is board certified and has been doing this for at least 15-20 years.

If I haven't freaked or grossed anybody out and you have some wisdom to impart or advice to offer, please let me know. I appreciate it very much. You guys are the best!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Re: Breast Reduction, Seriously

I know a couple of people who have had reductions and are happy with the outcome. Their pain is less and they feel better with regards to their looks as well. I've heard that the recovery time is much longer due to the amount of surgery as compared to just having an augmentation. Good luck!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

My hairdresser had the surgery done about a year ago. She didn't say much about the procedure itself, but she was out of work for about 6-8 weeks. (Of course, being a hairdresser, she's on her feet all day, so I don't know if that had something to do with it.) She did say for the first week or better it was very difficult to lift her arms. But now she's completely recovered and is much, much happier. She used to have constant back aches from the weight in the front. Again, she was on her feet all day, so that may have made the back aches worse, but she said she doesn't get them at all any more.

Hope this helps, and whatever you decide, it will be the best decision for YOU.

One of my co-workers had it done this past summer. She did experience some complications - not to get TMI, so I'll just say she got an infection and suffered a drainage problem. Other than that, she recovered quickly and didn't seem to have a problem coping with the pain - like ScoutMom mentioned, though, she was somewhat limited at work because she couldn't raise her arms much for the first few weeks. (She had it done because she was suffering from severe back problems, btw, so she was willing to put up with short-term discomfort to relieve her chronic pain.) She is very happy with the outcome though she wishes she had gone a size smaller.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Wow, three replies just that quick! Thank you so much!!!!

A large part of my job is sedentary / chained to desk and computer, although at various times I do have to be all over the facility. If your friends had trouble for a little while lifting their arms, I wonder if I would be able to write and type?

6 - 8 weeks recovery? Hmm, I have been hearing 3-4 weeks about this particular surgeon. He is located in Fayetteville, Georgia - would it be against the rules to post his name Mods?

When/if I have the procedure done, I am definitely thinking about going a good bit smaller - without elaborating too much, I am currently a 42DD. I'm 5 foot three inches. Not gonna say how much I weigh, but I should weigh anywhere from 120-145. (Definitely don't, but that's another thread!) Definitely top heavy.

Keep the info coming, it helps me immensely!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I had the surgery twenty five years ago, so I can tell you the long-term repercussions - a certain amount of numbness in an area generally known for its sensitivity. That is essentially the only long-term repercussion aside from the scars that apparently won't ever disappear.

The only regret I have is that I didn't have more taken off. I would have been much happier over the past couple of decades as an A-cup as opposed to the annoying C-cup.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, thank you for your reply....but, isn't it probable that the methods of performing the surgery have changed so much in 25 years that sensitivity loss and/or scarring would be a great deal lessened? Are there different ways of having this done?

As for cup size, I would be happy with a B. I think.

Not to scare but I have heard that reduction hasn't changed that much over the years. It's still more difficult to perform than making them bigger.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

My neice and a friend had it done and my daughter wants it done. All suffered from back problems before. And because of that, they're insurance covered the procedure.
    Both had a lot of scarring.

I used to work for a GYN, so I've also seen others that had it done all had scarring. It's not hideous and most have said they can live with the scars because they feel better and are much happier.

My niece worked in an office and was back at work in about 2 weeks. She had pain when lifting her arms, but apparantly could type and such. It was just lifting arms about shoulder height and over her head.

I wish you the best. Everyone that has had it done that I've spoken to about it has just been totally thrilled with the outcome.
    Oh and yes, my neice did wear a bra for several weeks 24 hours a day. She said that it just felt better to be in a comfortable bra that gave support as when the bra was off and gravity took effect, it caused pain, so wearing a bra helped.

I know so much about her surgery as my daughter wants and needs it done and we've talked to my neice about her experiences.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks myrosiedog. I am making a list of things to ask the surgeon, so all of the replies are very helpful. The scarring doesn't bother me so much because 1) I am in a secure and committed marraige and things like that don't really bother either one of us and 2) most of the probable scarring can probably be concealed at the beach behind my very modest bathing suit.

I happen to be reading a Robin Cook novel right now about a bunch of staph infections in particular hospitals immediately following elective surgeries. Not the best thing to read right now, huh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast