+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breast Reduction, Seriously

MRD

Re: Breast Reduction, Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3297108;
    Thanks myrosiedog. I am making a list of things to ask the surgeon, so all of the replies are very helpful. The scarring doesn't bother me so much because 1) I am in a secure and committed marraige and things like that don't really bother either one of us and 2) most of the probable scarring can probably be concealed at the beach behind my very modest bathing suit.

I happen to be reading a Robin Cook novel right now about a bunch of staph infections in particular hospitals immediately following elective surgeries. Not the best thing to read right now, huh?
    I read that book to and there's a reason for the infections, but I won't give anymore away than that. Probably not a good book to read before surgery, you're right.

I have a horrible, nasty scar from my breastbone to my naval. It doesn't bother me as only one other person but me sees it. I've heard nothing but good stuff from the people I know that had it and said they'd do it again.

Good luck with your decision.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I dated a woman who had reduction surgery. Like others have posted here, she wished she had gone smaller. She didn't go into any real details about the surgery, but I can report minimal scarring One nipple was also less sensitive than the other, but it could still respond to stimuli.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

ElizabethG, my sister had this surgery done and is very happy with the result, and has very little scarring. She is a nurse and returned to full duty within a month. I would definitely ask for before and after pictures, and references. I wish I could get mine done now, but don't need to miss time out if work at this point. I'll get it done right before I retire, I think!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Elizabeth, I've known a couple people that have done it and they were all very happy with the results. When I was in high school, there was even a girl who had reduction surgery over summer break and was back in the flag corp by August (of course, kids heal faster). I'll never forget that girl. The poor thing had the biggest breasts I think I've ever seen in real life. I couldn't even venture a guess as to what size they were. They were just huge, huge, huge. She had them done for her 18th birthday (the earliest the surgeon would do it). She had a ton of teasing and tremendous back pain. I know she looked SO much better when she came back that fall and surprisingly, few people even noticed what had actually happened. She just looked like she'd lost weight. Anyway, she loved the results.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks everyone for your replies. Ya'll have made me feel a LOT more confident going into this initial consult next week. I'll try not to bring it up again (much) unless it all turns into a complete horror story. Thanks again.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I've never known anyone who's had the surgery although I know a couple who should have it. I personally have never had that problem.

I do wish you luck though. Keep us informed about your progress.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3298719;
    I've never known anyone who's had the surgery although I know a couple who should have it. I personally have never had that problem.

I do wish you luck though. Keep us informed about your progress.
    Yeah, i pretty much had the opposite problem. Even at my heaviest weight, not much happened there.

Now gravity has taken it's toll and if I ever considered elective surgery, I'd have mine put back up where they originally were at one time.

Elizabeth, let us know about the consult. That's what we're here for, to support each other. Do take before and after photos (clothed or not, your choice. ) and you don't have to post them here. But you might want them for yourself years from now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

my only advice would be to be aware that the doctor will only show you pictures of successful reductions. do some googling for the not-so-successful results, so that whatever your results are, you won't be shocked.

i knew someone who did no research at all, and went through a horrible depression because one of her breasts ended up very disfigured and she had to go back under to fix it. she assumed that the pictures her doctor showed her was going to be exactly what she was going to look like. her breasts were originally we incredibly sensitive and now, she has barefly any feeling at all.

she also wanted to be a C cup but ended up more of a B cup which also added to her depression.

but ... in spite of her disappointment, she's glad she did it. being a EE caused some major back pain and that's gotten better. she just wishes she went into it more prepared for a less than perfect outcome.

I've known of several who've had it and would do it again. And, the scarring was less than those who have the opposite procedure - enlargement. Also, keep in mind you will be able to jog better, dance better and not look like Dolly Parton. Most also told me tht they hated their chests being the first thing that people looked at. Primarily, though, they did it because of the extra weight they had to carry and what a toll it took on their bodies.
    Much good luck to you and remember, breast reduction is actually an easier surgery than breast enhancement.

O.k., here's an update: I went and had my consult yesterday and met with the surgeon and his patient coordinator. I toured the surgical unit, right on the premises, he took measurements, we talked a LOT, and I viewed many before and after photos. I had already checked the surgeon out before scheduling the consult - he is very highly recommended and has no malpractice suits or any negative findings anywhere. He was very, very nice and thorough and treated me very well. I expected to feel a little odd just letting it all hang out in front of a total stranger, but they made me very comfortable. The end result is that I have my surgery scheduled for the first week of April (first good appointment time that works with my schedule at work). And, this was not planned before, but we also discussed doing an abdominplasty (sp) or "tummy tuck" and I have decided to do that at the same time. (I have a bit of an "apron" ) Both he and his patient coordinator say that barring any complications, I should be able to return to work and light duty after two or three weeks. That works for me, I'm starting some management classes through my job that I really can't miss. I have only told one other person besides my husband. My husband was a little taken aback at first, but the more we discussed it and he wrapped his head around the idea that this is going to be done, he is very enthusiastic and supportive of going ahead and doing it. I am pretty excited.

The doctor and I discussed the fact that I am in fact now dieting in order to shed about 30 pounds and I asked him how or if that would affect the results of the surgery and he assured me that there should be no or very minimal effect. If I am still about 10-15 lbs. over my goal weight at the time of surgery, or if I lose any more weight after it is completed, I should not see or develop any additional "sagging" or loose skin. I have to get a letter from my primary care physician that my potassium levels are o.k. and I have to discontinue my water pill and 1 mg. estrogen pill approximately two weeks pre-op. I told them I get nauseous when I have blood drawn and when I go under general anesthesia but they said a lot of people do and they are prepared for any faintness or anything like that. For personal reasons I have chosen NOT to go the insurance route, and I will have to finance both procedures and THAT concerns me somewhat, but I do have some money saved for this and I have very good credit and my job is very secure.

I'm not getting any younger and I have wanted to look different for a long, long time. I have a digital camera and I would like to post a photo (clothed!) of myself here but I have no idea how to do that. If I figure that out, I will do so.

I know this has been kinda long, but I wanted to add one more thing....I really, really appreciate all the advice and encouragement all of you have sent my way. I know there are a lot worse problems in this world than getting some elective surgery and I don't want to seem vain or shallow - I'm really not that way. This is just a pretty big decision and I wanted some objective thoughts and opinions and ya'll are providing that. My computer "family" is amazing(Drink!!! there's that word again!) Thank you so very, very much.
    Elizabeth
    Last edited by ElizabethG; 02-05-2009 at 04:30 PM.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast