+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Where I went on my last vacation....

Re: Where I went on my last vacation....

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2762764;
    I am so jealous. YOu are going to have fun.

I have always wanted to go to Hawaii because I want to see Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial.
    I probably know more about the attack on Pearl Harbor than I do about any other point in history. WWII-especially the Pacific theater is going to be my special area of interest when I get finished with my studies.

Of course, while in Hawaii, I would love to see other things as well, but the Arizona Memorial tops my list.
    WWII Pacific is my favorite era, too, but I focus primarily on submarine warfare. I'd love to go see the USS Bowfin, which is near the Arizona The USS Batfish is in Muskogee, Oklahoma, and it was a huge thrill for me to tour it. I think I went through about 5 rolls of film that afternoon I should go back . . .

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2764705;
    WWII Pacific is my favorite era, too, but I focus primarily on submarine warfare. I'd love to go see the USS Bowfin, which is near the Arizona The USS Batfish is in Muskogee, Oklahoma, and it was a huge thrill for me to tour it. I think I went through about 5 rolls of film that afternoon I should go back . . .
    I knew there was a reason I liked you.

I have a friend stationed in Norfolk, VA and he says he can get me on the new USS Wasp whose home port that is. The helicopter carrier. My dad was on the USS Wasp as a pilot in WWII. That one has been decommissioned. I am primarily into carriers because of my dad.

My mom used to say that she thought she was a re-incarnated submariner as she loved to read books about submarines and watch submarine movies. As she was ALSO hugely claustrophobic, I had to wonder if that was true.

We are hoping to go to Ft. Bragg in NC in May for "All American Week". My husband was in the 82nd Airborne and I have never seen a huge jump before and they do a whole week of ceremonies, jumps, etc. It was cancelled last year because the 82nd was deployed in Iraq. Not sure if they are going to do it this year or not, because I don't think they are back yet. But if they do, we are definetly going.

Everytime we have planned to go to Ft. Bragg, a war has broken out. Maybe I should just stay away.

Most of my vacations in my life have centered around going to battlefields and museums about battles. My dad was a huge Civil War buff and he used to drag us all over the South looking at big empty fields and telling us about the battles fought there. At the time I thought it was horribly boring. But now, I find it fascinating.

OK, wait, I just re-read your post and there is a submarine in Oklahoma? Man, it must have gotten REALLY lost. Last time I checked, OK, was landlocked.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mr. C and I are booking today (fingers crossed!) a 7 day cruise in Hawaii, and since we're probably going to be flying into Honolulu a day early, I've already started planning out our visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona. I absolutely LOVE WWII history and I know that visiting Pearl Harbor and the Arizona are going to be a highlight for me. Unfortuantely, the cruise isn't until December . . . so that gives me LOTS of time to wait - and patience isn't my strong suit . . . I want to go NOW!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

OK, wait, I just re-read your post and there is a submarine in Oklahoma? Man, it must have gotten REALLY lost. Last time I checked, OK, was landlocked.
    Yes, it is a real WWII submarine that went on real war patrols, and has the distinction of sinking three Japanese submarines in the span of two days. I have a book that tells its war stories, and also the story of how it was transported to Oklahoma--it was not an easy trip!

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2766249;
    Mr. C and I are booking today (fingers crossed!) a 7 day cruise in Hawaii, and since we're probably going to be flying into Honolulu a day early, I've already started planning out our visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona. I absolutely LOVE WWII history and I know that visiting Pearl Harbor and the Arizona are going to be a highlight for me. Unfortuantely, the cruise isn't until December . . . so that gives me LOTS of time to wait - and patience isn't my strong suit . . . I want to go NOW!
    Lucky you, chrelsey!! That sounds like so much fun and SO interesting. I'd love going to Hawaii and visiting Pearl Harbor. I've never been on a cruise, so that would sure be an added plus!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Newbie

I visit Veega Land in last vacation with my family. Veega Land is one of the famous amusement park in the world. It was located in my home town Pallikkara in Ernakulam district of Kerala state in India country.

I saw this article in today's USA Today, I immediately thought of queenb and her travels and thought she might ne interested in it. I'm sure there are other FoRTer's who might enjoy it as well.
    Couple's RV pilgrimage never misses the forests for the trees - USATODAY.com
    Couple's RV pilgrimage never misses the forests for the trees

By Kitty Bean Yancey, USA TODAY
    Tuesday, Suzi and Fred Dow of Bisbee, Ariz., climbed into their 31-foot RV with their two dogs. The retirees — he's 73, she's 59 — are completing a 14-year mission: to visit every mainland U.S. national forest with a developed campground. By August, the authors of a website, guidebooks and blog plan to accomplish their goal in Alaska. USA TODAY spoke with the couple as they loaded up for the trek.

Q: What started this project that's taken you more than 255,000 miles so far?

Suzi: We wanted to go to a Scottish folk festival in Abingdon (Va.) and could not find a hotel. A colleague of Fred's recommended a campground in the Jefferson National Forest. Driving back, we started talking about how everyone knew about national parks, but not national forests.

Fred: I said, "I'm getting ready to retire (from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development). Why don't we look into researching national forest campgrounds as a website and guide?" That started another career in camping.

RELATED: RVs beckon baby boomers despite fuel costs

Q: That's funny. I read that you weren't always an avid camper.

Fred: I'd camped all over Europe in a pup tent (in the Army), so when we were dating, I told Suzi there were two things I didn't do: wash windows or camp.

Suzi: He knows I love it, and so we went camping for two weeks in Canada and had the best time. Camping is wonderful … the rocks … the trees. It's magical. And oh, the people we've met! I remember one guy in the Ozarks. He could identify any tree from 100 yards. And the "RV people" are great.

Q: So how many forests have you visited?

Fred: It will be 153 by August. We'll end with Alaska's Chugach National Forest and the Tongass National Forest. The Tongass is the largest (U.S.) national forest, about 400 miles long. We'll put the RV on a ferry and get on and off. Three forests we won't have visited: two without developed campgrounds and one in Puerto Rico. (When the Dows' quest began, the number of national forests was 156. Two were combined, and it's now 155, the U.S. Forest Service says).

Q: Can we follow your trip?

Suzi: On our forestcamping.com website. I'll blog as much as I can.

Q: So far, which forests are favorites?

Suzi: For scenery, the (lesser visited) north rim of the Grand Canyon is fabulous. We stayed at the Kaibab National Forest. And the Spring Mountains Recreation Area in the Toiyabe National Forest in Nevada is amazing. You're up above the desert and you can see the stars and the glow of Las Vegas.

Fred: I would say the Jefferson and George Washington national forests in Virginia. There's so much history (in the area).

Q: On your website, you allude to scary moments during trips but don't elaborate. So?

Suzi: We were hiking and the trail gave way, and Fred fell at least 20 feet onto cement. He ended up with bruised and contused ribs. It could have been worse.

Fred: I had a (Washington) Redskins hat, and we were up on a mountain in Colorado. My hat blew off and went down a cliff. I said, "I'm not going to lost that hat!" I climbed down to get it and couldn't get back up. Suzi, being as smart as she is, got a hose and tied it to the bumper and threw it down to me. I climbed up with my teeth gritted. Luckily, the hose held.

Suzi: You know what's also scary? Gas prices (at 7-8 miles per gallon). And going to a strange dentist and getting a haircut (on the road). You have no idea how frightening that can be!
    Here's a link to Suzi's blog. She has some great photo albums there. Camping, an experience for the whole family

Here they are with their dogs.

Last edited by Unklescott; 04-18-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2930080;
    I saw this article in today's USA Today, I immediately thought of queenb and her travels and thought she might ne interested in it. I'm sure there are other FoRTer's who might enjoy it as well.

Your right Unk, those folks sound like me, riding around looking at 'stuff". Thanks!
    What you probably don't know that this partsounds just like something I'd do too.

Fred: I had a (Washington) Redskins hat, and we were up on a mountain in Colorado. My hat blew off and went down a cliff. I said, "I'm not going to lost that hat!" I climbed down to get it and couldn't get back up. Suzi, being as smart as she is, got a hose and tied it to the bumper and threw it down to me. I climbed up with my teeth gritted. Luckily, the hose held.

Wait, I did post that crazy pic of my sister hanging over the side of the tidepool, trying to pry the starfish.... And you know, this apple did fall off the same tree.

Right now I'm watching prices looking for somewhere my sis and I can take her two teen boys who are having fits to fly in a plane. They aren't all that big on lots of riding in a car, so we're not sure what, exactly yet. But, I'm ready-come on June!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My older sister and hubby got back from a short trip to Lake Louise in the Rocky Mountains. It's gorgeous there. Here's an amazing shot from inside the Chateau. And a close-up of a boutiniere.

I encouraged her to buy the same camera as I have. It didn't fail her at all!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MissKitty, that pic of the mountains is gorgeous! Oh how I love the mountains!

So tell me if this sounds a little cliche or cheesy but we decided to go to Disneyworld for a vacation in December. We just want to be like little kids again and I can't think of a better place to do that, lol! Its pretty reasonably priced to go around 2nd-3rd week in December since most families still have kids in school and stuff.

+ Reply to Thread