+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Where I went on my last vacation....

Re: Where I went on my last vacation....

Also, figure out what type of plane you'll be flying and go to seatguru.com. There's helpful information on there too.

As a 6'3" guy I always get an aisle seat so I can stretch my legs out in the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2750272;
    Also, figure out what type of plane you'll be flying and go to seatguru.com. There's helpful information on there too.
    I second this wholeheartedly.
    Melitta, if you are getting a heavily discounted fare and don't get to choose your seats online when you buy, be sure to check in online before you even go to the airport--up to 24 hours ahead. That way you can make sure your seats aren't scattered all over the plane. I don't take a computer on vacation but always make sure to find one I can use 24 hours before I come home to check in for that flight also. I am not about to get stuck in a middle seat for 4-5 hours or more!
    Enjoy your trip.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Has anyone been to Hawaii recently?

We're going to Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu. We were going to go to Maui originally but that won't work out, which is too bad 'cause I hear it's less crowded etc. Oh well--that's OK. Anyhow, we will go see the Pearl Harbor Memorial...also wanted to do the touristy but (hopefully) fun luaus etc. Can anyone make any recommendations for fun things to do? (We're staying in Waikiki) Did you rent a car? Did you take group tours? Should you make reservations in advance, or can you book tours/luaus etc. the day of?

I've been to a lot of foreign countries, but never traveled to our 50th state! I'm looking forward to it...even though it's not our first-choice island (I know the flights from Oahu to Maui are really cheap, but I don't think we'll have enough time to get that done on this trip).

FYI: Depending on how full first class/business class is, sometimes you can upgrade from economy to those for relatively reasonable prices (e.g. cheaper than booking it in advance sometimes). Also, if you have frequent flyer miles, check to see if you can use those to upgrade your seat. It makes the flight a lot more enjoyable. I don't mind sitting in the middle seat if my husband or friend or another family member is sitting in the aisle...but I really hate climbing over people I don't know to use the lavatory etc. Most people are pretty nice about it but some are just downright mean! Gees! That's why when I have an aisle seat, I always try to be nice to people who need me to move so they can hit the restroom. Everyone has to go at one time or another for Pete's sake!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Lois...I went to Honolulu last year (my 2nd trip there).

You can rent a car and drive around the entire island in a days' time...I would highly recommend that. I've been to the Dole Plantation which was pretty neat. You can go to Diamondhead and climb to the top..the view from up there is awesome. We went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay both times and loved it....Hanauma Bay On your drive around the island, you can go to the North Shore and see some of those huge waves that surfers love there!

A website that might give you some ideas: Oahu Activities

This last time I went, I took a 2 hour tour by myself on a open air bus and it was great...I'll have to see if I can find which tour it was...it wasn't very expensive and I had a good time. We were there in October both times and the weather was great. Both times we went it was with a company convention so we didn't go to a tour luau because the company had their own luau so I can't help you with that.

This last time we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the first time we stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki.......both gorgeous hotels on the beach with stunning views!

I'm jealous you're going!

Have fun and take lots of pictures to share with us here.....

Aloha...............
    Last edited by bbnbama; 01-20-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

bbnbama, thanks for those tips! I forgot about the Dole Plantation!!!

Did you make advance reservations for these things...or because it was a company outing they had already taken care of it perhaps? I think there are some things I will make reservations for and there are some things we just may want to wing it...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 01-20-2008 at 09:21 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

None of the activities that we did required any type of advance reservations....we winged it each time we went....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2762714;
    None of the activities that we did required any type of advance reservations....we winged it each time we went....
    Thank you for letting me know! I like having the freedom to change my mind, you know?

MRD

I am so jealous. YOu are going to have fun.

I have always wanted to go to Hawaii because I want to see Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial.
    I probably know more about the attack on Pearl Harbor than I do about any other point in history. WWII-especially the Pacific theater is going to be my special area of interest when I get finished with my studies.

Of course, while in Hawaii, I would love to see other things as well, but the Arizona Memorial tops my list.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm jealous too. I want to go to Hawaii! Some friends of ours were married there in 2006 and their pictures were amazing. Have fun Lois!

We spent a brief honeymoon in Chattanooga, TN. a few weeks ago. Our hotel was wonderful and we always enjoy visiting the Aquarium there. We are headed to Charleston, SC this weekend for a family reunion/90th birthday party for my great-aunt. We love Charleston but hate the drive through Atlanta to get there! I'll post pictures when we return.

Happy travels!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread