+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Where I went on my last vacation....

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2106721;
    I just got back from Amsterdam where I was over the weekend... However I was a bit uncomfortable walking through the Red Light District, coffeeshops with people smoking hasch and, the most uncomfortable part, brothels with the prositutes standing behind glass doors. It is accepted in Amsterdam but it still felt very wrong. It was an experience of the city maybe not the greatest feeling, but it is part of that city.
    I heard a serious news report that there is a large Muslim population there trying to enforce their Islamic beliefs in Amsterdam. They actually have set up residential gated communities that do not welcome others. Amsterdam is worried that if enough of them get into political power they could change what Amsterdam is about which is total freedom of the things you mentioned. And that would destroy their history and culture. Many feel that those who immigrated should either adapt to their culture, or in the alternative, just live how they want. But not to enforce their culture on their new country. Sounds like a mess is brewing.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

My last vacation was down to California for my cousin's wedding. It was Stockton, so not much of a big "WOOT!" factor there. But atleast I got to go to San Francisco.

That's my next vacation destination. I am planning on goin to San Fran for my spring break. One of my good friends and his boyfriend live down there. He wants me to move down and in with them, but I have to finish my schooling first and secure a job down there lol. But I love it there. The weather there is kinda what I'm use to. It's an artistic city, and alot of game manufacturers are down there.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2107034;
    I heard a serious news report that there is a large Muslim population there trying to enforce their Islamic beliefs in Amsterdam. They actually have set up residential gated communities that do not welcome others. Amsterdam is worried that if enough of them get into political power they could change what Amsterdam is about which is total freedom of the things you mentioned. And that would destroy their history and culture. Many feel that those who immigrated should either adapt to their culture, or in the alternative, just live how they want. But not to enforce their culture on their new country. Sounds like a mess is brewing.
    Like I said, I do feel like these parts are part of the city and its charms. One thing I like is that they have very restriced rules, ie. you cannot smoke weed outside of a coffeeshop (but there's plenty of them) and the prositutes cannot harass you, you must seek them up. I, as well as the city, think these rules are important (especially about the prostitutes) as it is keeping the things that make the city so unique but still not forcing these controversial (sp?) things upon anyone.

My family (husband and 2 college-age sons) went on our first cruise last December, just before Christmas. We went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel and had a fabulous time!! The boys had just gotten home from school and I had just completed my first semester as a doc student so we were all ready for a break....The weather was wonderful, even in the middle of December. The bad part was that my parents were supposed to join us and were not able to go due to some health issues with my dad. We're hoping to make that up sometime down the road.....maybe when I am a doctor......

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife;1444412;
    *mini thread jack*

I am planning a trip to Italy in November and was curious if anyone had been and if so, what recommendations you might have for "must see" sites since there's so many of them.

Not into the trendy and touristy stuff or group tours...much prefer the off-the-beaten path and local secret treasure stuff. (You know, let it unfold as it may and get out of the crowds....) I especially love taking in old, historic buildings and the breath taking beauty of nature (mountains, waterfalls, rolling hills, etc.)

If anyone has been, I would very much appreciate the info here or you can PM me. Thanks!
    This is probably too late to be helpful, but even though it's now a cliche, Tuscany is really beautiful. We were there in the summer when the crowds were also...in Nov. if things are open should be great. The little hill villages are terrific (steep tho!), and there's lots of countryside in between. It's kind of odd looking country...basically little pointed pimple mtns, each with village on it and then fields in between. Depressing history tho--every village seems to have been at war with all the other villages it could see constantly. Led to some nice looking walls and castles tho!
    And you can NOT go wrong on the food anywhere in Italy... even in gas stations!
    Cinque Terre (sp?) on the coast is also nice, and should be really empty in Nov.

Re: Where I went on my last vacation....

I'm back from our five day trip (two travelling days) to Lisbon. It was absolutely beautiful there; lots of hills, old houses, old trams. We got around a lot and looked at many different sites of the city, but I'm guessing there's still a lot more to explore, maybe some day in the future. The weather was great as well, a bit warmer wouldn't have been bad, but I'm not complaining now that I'm back in cold dark Sweden. At least we have fresh air here, the city was crowded with cars, many of them using diesel, that was one negative. Other than that it was a great trip with great food and port wine. I'm hoping to get some pictures up for you by the weekend (we took about 300 so there's plenty to choose from).

My last vacation was in late September. I went to Austin to visit my boyfriend for a week. It was nice not having to worry about work, and being away from family (especially my mother ). Hopefully, I'll be down for another visit after I graduate in March.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

That's where I went on my last vacation during August '07.

It was my first time ever on the east coast of the US. Before going to Florida, the farthest to the east I've gone is Nevada. It was so HOT there though. I mean, I knew it was going to be hot, but not that hot.

We took it day by day: first we went to Animal Kingdom, then Magic Kingdom, MGM, and lastly Epcot. The only one I didn't like was Epcot mainly because of Mission: Space. I really shouldn't have been on that ride. It made me feel sick for a couple of days. And we missed out on riding Fast Track, which I really wanted to go on. I did go on Soarin' though, which was okay. It was funny because we went "above" California, and I live there, so nothing was that new to me. I understand that they brought the ride over from California Adventure, but I was expecting for us to see the sights of Florida. That would have been better.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

MRD

August and September are the hottest most humid months in Florida.

For years, I refused to go near one of the parks between May and October. The heat is just horrible and its crowded.

The best time to go is October. The weather is warm, but not unbearably hot and its not nearly as crowded.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Our last vacation was at Yellowstone in July. I saw this right in front of my truck on my first day and it made my whole vacation.

+ Reply to Thread