+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone advise on how to set up newsletter

Can anyone advise on how to set up newsletter

Not sure if this is the right place, but I am wondering. I am trying to start a newsletter for the local library that I am on the board of. I'd like to be able to write text about upcoming events, book sales, author visits, as well as use pictures such as clip art. Does anyone have any recommendations on a program or such? Many thanks

Re: Can anyone advise on how to set up newsletter

I do our club newsletter in Word, and then convert it into a .pdf with Adobe Standard.

But I also know several who use MS Publisher and like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3274794;
    I do our club newsletter in Word, and then convert it into a .pdf with Adobe Standard.

But I also know several who use MS Publisher and like it a lot.
    Thanks, Schmoo. I am just not sure how to add in pics - any suggestions on that?

Publisher is a pretty good program for beginners because it has templates already set up for all different types of documents. So you'd just choose the newsletter layout you want, and then click in the appropriate places to add content.

You can also download newsletter templates for Word, though. I looked at a few of them and they are pretty decent.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Pictures - from on line, I right click, copy and paste right into the document, you can size it right there in MS Word.
    personal pics - open up in Paint or any other like software, then right click, copy, paste.

one thing, once you have the picture there, Double click right on it, go to Layout and change the wrapping style to Square or Tight - that way your 'typed' information will be next to, or around ,the picture. If you don't, then you only get one line of typing on the same line as the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;3274820;
    Publisher is a pretty good program for beginners because it has templates already set up for all different types of documents. So you'd just choose the newsletter layout you want, and then click in the appropriate places to add content.

You can also download newsletter templates for Word, though. I looked at a few of them and they are pretty decent.
    Thanks. i just can't seem to get the pics in with Publisher. I must be doing something wrong. I have read the tutorial, but I can't seem to get the pics in.

If you're in Publisher with a template open, just double-click on the existing picture in the template. A picture toolbar should show up. If it doesn't, go to VIEW>TOOLBARS>PICTURE and that will show a new toolbar. On that toolbar, click the first button (if you hover over it, it will say "Insert Picture".) From there it brings up a browse/explore window and you navigate to the picture you want. Click insert and voila! Your picture is there.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I used to do the newsletter for my former employer - we used a professional printer, so we (myself and the girl who worked with me on it) would do a "mock-up" with our articles and pictures to get the look we wanted. If you're doing it without the benefit of a professional, then I agree that Publisher is your best bet - we made some great-looking promotional material using that program.

By "adding in pics" do you mean photographs? Publisher will let you add any photos you have on your computer, and you can easily resize them in the program to suit your needs. It's basically the same way you change your avatar here.

ETA: What burnt said.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

THanks to both of you. I had double clicked on it and nothing came up. I wanted to add clip art and, perhaps some photos I have scanned into my computer. The clip art wouldn't work and as far as the personal photos, I was unable to then crop them to fit the size so they were too large. Do I need a separate program for recropping? And why can't I get the clip art in? Thanks

No, you can crop the pictures with the picture toolbar. There's a little crop icon, it's eighth from the left. Looks like two intersecting brackets. If it's greyed out, then just cut the picture and start over. To insert clipart, go to INSERT>PICTURE>CLIPART and pick one. Are you just not seeing any clipart when it brings up the clipart browser?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast