+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34344454647484950515253545556 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

Re: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

So, if it's both an adjective AND a noun, how is that a corruption of the language?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    So, if it's both an adjective AND a noun, how is that a corruption of the language?
    That's right, Critical. It isn't [corruption]. It's evolution. Change, evolve — living languages do those. Hence the frequent updating of dictionaries and style manuals to reflect the changes that become standard use in respected and widely circulated publications.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I used the word "corruption" as hyperbole in an effort to sympathize with Scarlet. Evolution would have been a more descriptive choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    That's right, Critical. It isn't [corruption]. It's evolution. Change, evolve — living languages do those. Hence the frequent updating of dictionaries and style manuals to reflect the changes that become standard use in respected and widely circulated publications.
    The same dictionaries that approve books being authored? Who authors these dictionaries

With regard to the commercials ... how about Farmers University?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I used the word "corruption" as hyperbole in an effort to sympathize with Scarlet. Evolution would have been a more descriptive choice.
    Yep, I consider it a corruption, and an abomination. You have no idea how many times I've darned near screamed "nonprofit WHAT? nonprofit WHAT? nonprofit WHAT?" But since the dictionary now considers it acceptable I guess I'll have to learn to grit my teeth & accept it. Eventually I'll have my teeth ground down to stubs. It's like saying you're going to the store to buy a "green". I guess that one's next.

The whole evolution of our language is something I've never been all that fond of. Just because people abuse our language so often that is becomes common, doesn't make it right.

It's no wonder the English language is supposedly the most difficult to learn. Just about the time you think you have it right, it changes.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    The whole evolution of our language is something I've never been all that fond of. Just because people abuse our language so often that is becomes common, doesn't make it right.

It's no wonder the English language is supposedly the most difficult to learn. Just about the time you think you have it right, it changes.
    While I agree with you that some of the evolution of language is hard to accept, it is however reality in all languages, not just English... look at the difference between American English and United Kingdom English, heck look at the regional differences within the country.

My mother was born in the Netherlands. They moved to Canada when she was 5 and her parents rarely spoke Dutch in the home once they learned English. When she went for her first visit 25 years later, she was told that her Dutch was old fashioned. The language had evolved, but because she was removed from the evolution, her Dutch did not. I was amazed that the changes were so noticeable in just 25 years.
    spockwhat and inthegarden like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Yep, I consider it a corruption, and an abomination. You have no idea how many times I've darned near screamed "nonprofit WHAT? nonprofit WHAT? nonprofit WHAT?" But since the dictionary now considers it acceptable I guess I'll have to learn to grit my teeth & accept it. Eventually I'll have my teeth ground down to stubs. It's like saying you're going to the store to buy a "green". I guess that one's next.

I agree with you in some ways, but disagree as well!

Sometimes I find people who change up the English language can do so in a clever, witty way. It can be amusing, or even bring deeper meaning to situation. The combining of words to create a new word is an example of that.

(As an added note, sorry if this is poorly written. I often just jot stuff down online. It's tedious to spend so much time checking my grammer... I was done writing English papers twenty years ago, and I don't intend to go back! )
    inthegarden likes this.

Unless you speak Middle English, then you're speaking an evolved language. Language is always changing. That's the way it's always been.

I think we've done enough grammar talk in here. Let's get back on topic!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Groovy, man. I'm hip with that.
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Progressive "rate suckers" that attach themselves by the mouth to a moving car. Just disgusting.

I just saw this commercial and yes - it is DISGUSTING!
    Hyper likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread