+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

FORT Fogey

Re: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I am Christian, but I enjoy all the non religious decorations & traditions just as much.
    I like the flamingo/dolphin/palm tree idea. It sounds fun, and location appropriate.
    I agree that it can and should be anything that anyone wants it to be. Have fun & be happy & enjoy it with your friends & family any way you feel like. Even if that is just getting the day off work & eating a fish sandwich together with a friend.

My problem is when people don't want to say the word Christmas. It's just the name of the holiday, nomatter what you do or don't do on that day. Kind of like Labor Day, even if you have to work.
    Personally I despise Valentines Day & feel it's a nasty holiday. I've never liked it, young, old, single, married. A day of unrealistic expectations, bitter disappointments, & mocking of those who aren't attached. But if someone says "Happy Valentines Day" to me I'm not offended. I smile & return the sentiment. I figure that person is wishing me a happy day. That's good enough for me.
    Then why are people afraid to say "Merry Christmas?"
    I agree. People get too hung up on words. It doesn't matter. Just stop the Victorian presentation. Hahahahahaha!

I could not agree more about Valentines Day. Manufactured by Hallmark, I am sure.

I'm not offended by "merry christmas", I just don't understand why others are offended by "happy holidays". December 25 is christmas, so merry christmas is entirely appropriate then. The rest of November/December is a variety of holidays, so happy holidays is entirely appropriate for the other 61 days.
    Last edited by Rattus; 12-06-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Ellen, Lil Bit and burntbrat like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    My problem is when people don't want to say the word Christmas. It's just the name of the holiday, nomatter what you do or don't do on that day. Kind of like Labor Day, even if you have to work.
    For me, "Happy Turkey Day" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's THANKSGIVING. No matter what your religious leanings - or even if you choose to have none - it's a day for giving thanks for the good things in your life. When people say "Happy Turkey Day," it feels to me like the only good thing in that person's life is turkey.

I don't know why it bugs me, but it really does!
    karalott and just1paul like this.

FORT Fogey

To me, "Happy Turkey Day" always sounds a little juvenile. And I agree that I've never much cared for Valentine's Day. It seems far too manufactured a holiday, like everyone has to remind the people they love that they love them on this particular day, even if it hasn't got much of anything to do with the relationship they share with them, unlike birthdays, anniversaries etc. It's like the romantic version of all thoroughbreds turning one January 1st, regardless of when they were born. Besides, I don't care for red or pink all that much, and for some reason, I'm often sick on Valentine's Day, so my personal associations with it aren't all that pleasant.

I don't really mind what decorations people choose for the month of December, but I do prefer the displays that choose a theme and stick with it. I find it personally jarring when they muddle everything up together, so it ends up looking like Frosty is the fourth wise man in the nativity display. Oh, and if your decorations are still up by the time Easter rolls around in the spring, it's way past time to take them down, unless the winter has been so relentlessly awful weather-wise that it's been impossible to get them down.

The other day, someone wished me a happy December. I guess that pretty much covers everything. It did occur to me that it was also broader-based time-wise. He wasn't wishing me one particular happy day but an entirely happy month. Kind of appreciated the expansiveness of that possibility.

Another bit of holiday trivia: Abraham Lincoln is often given credit for declaring the first official day of thanksgiving in America. Technically, that would have been Jefferson Davis, earlier in the Civil War, when things were going a bit better for the confederacy. And it was moved from the fourth Thursday in November to the third by FDR to expand the holiday shopping season to help retail merchants during the depression. That's why there's so much college football on Thanksgiving--the games were originally scheduled to be after Thanksgiving so as not to conflict with the holiday, but there was no convenient way to reschedule them once the holiday was suddenly moved, and then the tradition of football on Thanksgiving just kind of stuck (and for a while, some people called it Franksgiving instead of Thanksgiving, because they were so irritated at the switch).
    Last edited by Tilden; 12-06-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Every time fake Emily Maynard appears on the screen I would like to put my foot through it!! DWTS? UGH
    Ellen likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Add me to the Hates Turkey Day list. Thanksgiving is more appropriate because that's what it is--a day of thanks. You can say it with or without turkey. If you sum up all of what Thanksgiving is into what food is being served, you're missing the point.

Valentines Day is hell on single people. We're already punished year round by not having found our soulmate, then the people who have found someone get to rub your nose in how happy they are. I didn't like it when I was in school because you either were required to send valentines to everyone in your class, which made the sentiment fakey, or you had to rely on getting valentines from others of their own volition. The popular people got all the cards while the unpopular people got none. IMO, everyone deserves love and appreciation, not just the popular people. I've heard of people sending flowers to themselves on Valentines Day so that they don't feel left out but that seems kind of pathetic to me.

I don't care if people say Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or whatever, although it is strange to me that the British say Happy Christmas instead of Merry Christmas. It's not wrong, just different. I've never heard anyone say Merry Holidays.

I said Happy Christmas for years.
    Ellen and just1paul like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I can't stand it when I see grown people who call themselves parents act so cruel to their kids. I don't usually watch, but caught a precious little girl who didn't win first prize in the beauty pageant try to appease her mom, who pouted like a spoiled child. She didn't even try to congratulate the child, who won $500.00. (Mom was ticked off she didn't get the $10,000.00) Stuff like that makes me furious. What's wrong with these people? It seems that mental cruelity of children is okay on reality tv.
    just1paul and AmyKay like this.

I've decided to go with "Have a jewel of a Yule" or "Have a cool Yule" this year.
    Ellen, Lil Bit, just1paul and 2 others like this.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I've decided to go with "Have a jewel of a Yule" or "Have a cool Yule" this year.
    I like those. They add a bit of humor into a nice greeting.

My problem with the whole "holiday" thing isn't the Happy Holidays greeting. I actually don't mind that. It's all inclusive.
    My problem is when the word Christmas is obviously replaced with the word holiday inappropriately. As in: Holiday Tree; Holiday Carols; Holiday Shopping; Holiday Cards; Holiday Eve (OK, I haven't heard that one but it's coming); Holiday Cookies; Holiday Ornaments. It's clear they're avoiding the word Christmas. That's the part that bugs me.

Also, someone else earlier mentioned "gifting". Lately I've been seeing a lot of commercials saying that too. It is irritating.

Well, we have 10 days to go. Where are those irritating diamond commercials?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread