+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

Re: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

I was ready to stick my foot through the TV (except that I was laughing too hard) at that trainwreck of a Lifetime Movie (redundant, I know...) entitled Dick and Liz. I feel sorry for the actor who did a great job portraying Shakespearean-actor Burton having to play opposite Lindsay Lohan, who portrayed Elizabeth Taylor with a nasally LA-valley accent. It was like watching a very bad high school drama club performance.
    Really, what was the casting department thinking?
    just1paul likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I was ready to stick my foot through the TV (except that I was laughing too hard) at that trainwreck of a Lifetime Movie (redundant, I know...) entitled Dick and Liz. I feel sorry for the actor who did a great job portraying Shakespearean-actor Burton having to play opposite Lindsay Lohan, who portrayed Elizabeth Taylor with a nasally LA-valley accent. It was like watching a very bad high school drama club performance.
    I knew it would be awful. I didnt even bother looking for it.She cannot act
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor would have me rolling on the floor. She cannot act period.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor would have me rolling on the floor. She cannot act period.
    It would be worth bringing back MST3K just for this.
    candor and Jamie5632 like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I watched the first 5 minutes. It was more than enough!

FORT Fogey

It would be worth bringing back MST3K just for this.
    OMG, I miss MST3K--the best little cow town puppet show to ever come out of Hopkins, Minnesota!

Last year, I went to see a local showing of Manos, Hands of Death that was hosted by Joel Hodgson. Me and about a hundred teen/twenty-something fan boys. Boy, did I stand out in that crowd.

And I caught part of the Liz and Dick debacle and felt terribly sorry for the British actor who was trying so hard to sound like Burton, when Lindsay Lohan didn't even make the slightest effort to sound like Elizabeth Taylor. She was just who she always is, in a series of bad wigs.
    Ellen and beerbelly like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'd add to that any television show/made for television movie that decides to do yet another take off on A Christmas Carol. OMG, figure out a new ploy for your Christmas episodes! Dickens must roll over in his grave every December, because he didn't even like A Christmas Carol--and wrote it primarily because he had a bunch of hungry relatives to feed and knew a Christmas book would sell. Not keen on rip-offs of It's a Wonderful Life either.
    Interesting fact, thanks. Everything xmas has become old and tired. I would like to see Stephen Spielberg make a xmas movie that will change the focus to what xmas is today. He is the man to do it. I live in Florida and xmas decor down here looks ridiculous, same goes for Australia and New Zealand to name two others.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Personally, I like Florida Christmas designs! I'm not religious so lit-up dolphins and flamingos draped around palm trees appeal more to me than angels and mangers with wise men.

I know the origin of Christmas is religious but it eventually came to combine elements from other cultures and religions. Some people celebrate the holiday for being the birth of Christ, some celebrate it for Santa Claus, some do both, some do neither. The holiday means different things to different people so there's no one way to celebrate it.
    Ellen and Hyper like this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Personally, I like Florida Christmas designs! I'm not religious so lit-up dolphins and flamingos draped around palm trees appeal more to me than angels and mangers with wise men.

I know the origin of Christmas is religious but it eventually came to combine elements from other cultures and religions. Some people celebrate the holiday for being the birth of Christ, some celebrate it for Santa Claus, some do both, some do neither. The holiday means different things to different people so there's no one way to celebrate it.
    Christmas started as a pagan holiday and Christians tagged Christ's birthday onto it. No one knows when he was born.

I agree I love the decorations down here when climate appropriate. Palm trees wrapped in lights are beautiful. To see blow up snowmen on lawns is just silly! We never see xmas in the media outside the Dickens box; that is my beef.

I am an atheist. That does not mean that I don't believe in anything. The universe is an energy exchange, see my sig line.
    Ellen likes this.

I am Christian, but I enjoy all the non religious decorations & traditions just as much.
    I like the flamingo/dolphin/palm tree idea. It sounds fun, and location appropriate.
    I agree that it can and should be anything that anyone wants it to be. Have fun & be happy & enjoy it with your friends & family any way you feel like. Even if that is just getting the day off work & eating a fish sandwich together with a friend.

My problem is when people don't want to say the word Christmas. It's just the name of the holiday, nomatter what you do or don't do on that day. Kind of like Labor Day, even if you have to work.
    Personally I despise Valentines Day & feel it's a nasty holiday. I've never liked it, young, old, single, married. A day of unrealistic expectations, bitter disappointments, & mocking of those who aren't attached. But if someone says "Happy Valentines Day" to me I'm not offended. I smile & return the sentiment. I figure that person is wishing me a happy day. That's good enough for me.
    Then why are people afraid to say "Merry Christmas?"
    AmyKay, Hyper, Shoepie and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread