+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

Re: "I want to stick my foot through my tv screen when...."

There is a particularly nasty race here. Neither candidate tells us what they will do, just what horrible things the other does. You know, eats babies, clubs baby seals, etc. They make me want to take a hammer to my tv.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

So "gifting" appears to have replaced the word "giving." Marshall's is advertising "Let the gifting begin." Amazon's home page says Kindle is the "No. 1 most gifted product." Whyyyyyyy? It's as bad as replacing the word "sale" with "event." I work in marketing, but I have to confess, sometimes I hate marketers.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Oh, my, yes. I hate it when advertisers/marketers try to sugar coat something by playing with semantics.

I'm also frequently tempted to respond to people who say, "My bad" with "Your bad what? Mistake? Behavior? Choice? It's an adjective, not a noun."

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

This holiday season, I am HATING the Target commercials where they change the words of classic Christmas songs, making them full of bad-rhyming sales pitches. They're having the opposite of the intended effect for me. I will not be shopping at Target this year.
    Ellen likes this.

FORT Fogey

I see yet another channel running non-stop Christmas movies. Don't get me wrong. There are some Christmas movies I love and want to see every year--White Christmas, the original Miracle on 34th Street etc. (and I pretty much own the ones I love, so I get to see them whenever I like)--but Lifetime and Hallmark are taking it way too far this year. They've been running Christmas movies pretty much non-stop for the last week or two, which means, I assume, that they plan on doing it right up until Christmas, so naturally, a lot of them aren't that great. And personally, I just don't need to see that many Christmas movies. Occasionally, even in the holiday season, I need a little break from he constant emphasis on Christmas.

Too much of anything is just too much. I'd appreciate the Christmas movies more if they chose just a few that they felt really represented their networks--and Hallmark, for instance, has done some very nice holiday movies--and ran maybe one or two a week on a specific "Christmas-themed" night each week. But does every Christmas-themed made-for-TV movie need to be dredged up to fill up day after day of programming as cheaply as possible?

Time for my annual rant:
    I'm just so sick of "holiday" instead of Christmas!
    "Holiday" presents. "Holiday" shopping. "Holiday" decorations. "Holiday" gifts. "Holiday" songs. "Holiday" carols. Even "holiday" trees.
    This is stupid!!!!! The "holiday" has a name! It's Christmas, C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S!
    The fools (and that's the nicest name I can think of for them) say it's so no one will be offended.
    Who the heck is offended by Christmas?!?!?!?!?!?!
    If it's the people who supposedly don't celebrate it, then what the heck do they have trees for? Or songs? Or gifts? Or shopping? Or decorations?

BULLPUCKY!!!!
    The real reason is that Christmas has the word Christ in it. Heaven forbid someone says a word that is a derivative of the name Christ.
    It's the name of the "holiday", you fools!

For those who celebrate Hanukkah, I'm more than glad to say "Happy Hanukkah" to them. Or any other December day that you can think of. I'M not offended in the least. Why on earth should anyone else be?
    If they are, then tough luck. Grow up & try living in a world that doesn't center around your own petty, pathetic prejudices!
    If nothing else, I say Merry Christmas to them just to irk them.

And as of last year I moved my Nativity set from the top of my bookcase to the front window. And lit the window up big time.
    just1paul, AmyKay, nennie and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Time for my annual rant:
    I'm just so sick of "holiday" instead of Christmas!
    "Holiday" presents. "Holiday" shopping. "Holiday" decorations. "Holiday" gifts. "Holiday" songs. "Holiday" carols. Even "holiday" trees.
    This is stupid!!!!! The "holiday" has a name! It's Christmas, C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S!
    The fools (and that's the nicest name I can think of for them) say it's so no one will be offended.
    Who the heck is offended by Christmas?!?!?!?!?!?!
    If it's the people who supposedly don't celebrate it, then what the heck do they have trees for? Or songs? Or gifts? Or shopping? Or decorations?

BULLPUCKY!!!!
    The real reason is that Christmas has the word Christ in it. Heaven forbid someone says a word that is a derivative of the name Christ.
    It's the name of the "holiday", you fools!

For those who celebrate Hanukkah, I'm more than glad to say "Happy Hanukkah" to them. Or any other December day that you can think of. I'M not offended in the least. Why on earth should anyone else be?
    If they are, then tough luck. Grow up & try living in a world that doesn't center around your own petty, pathetic prejudices!
    If nothing else, I say Merry Christmas to them just to irk them.

And as of last year I moved my Nativity set from the top of my bookcase to the front window. And lit the window up big time.
    As far as I am concerned, there is way too much political correctness today. PBBBBBT! to all of that.Holidays greeting.jpg
    Ellen, Lil Bit and Shoepie like this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

As an atheist who doesn't celebrate any sort of religious event, but does celebrate having a few days off with a lot of food at the end of the year, I'm okay with "happy holidays" being used in a media message intended to reach the largest number of people, many of whom are not christian. As are the huge number of people I know whose non-christian religious events also take place in December and are looking to buy some stuff.
    Ellen, Lil Bit, Shoepie and 1 others like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

A person doesn't have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas. For many years Christmas has included Santa Clause, Rudolph the Red Nose Raindeer, Deck the Halls, Mickey/Minnie decorations and many many other non religious things.
    Like Rattus said, some just like the food & sales.

Christmas is a season & a holiday. Saying the word Christmas, or exchanging gifts, or having a tree doesn't have to mean anything religious. Just a celebration of a holiday of outwordly being nice to each other.
    People of no religious feelings whatsoever have been doing this for many years. Why? Because it's fun. And nice.

And that holiday has a name. It's Christmas. The name won't burn anyone's tongue off.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Again, I DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS. Christmas is religious. People of no religious affiliation have been having christmas foisted on their own end of year celebrations for years simply because we had no choice. Fortunately, the times they are a'changing.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread