+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year

MRD

Happy New Year

Hope everyone has a happy and prosperous and healthy 2009.

What plans does everyone have to bring in the new year?

I have to work a big fundraiser, black tie party. Hubby and I never go out on New Year's Eve, so I don't mind working. I'm getting paid more than double time to work and the work is easy. I will spend most of the evening surfing the web. And I know the caterer, so I know I'll get fed well. It's just going to be a long night with me getting home after 2 a.m.

But the next day will be our tradional blackeyed peas, collard greens, cornbread and I'm foregoing the fried chicken this year for probably a ham.
    Can't mess with tradition (except the chicken, but the prep work and cooking is more than I want to do after a long night out.) Who knows just how bad my luck might have been this past year if I didn't eat the black eyed peas.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Happy New Year

I'll be the Scrooge here... I HATE New Year's Eve. I cannot remember a single one I've celebrated that didn't end in misery. So I go to bed early, sometimes let any kids who are home wake me up for the countdown, and then go right back to bed. I do make new year's resolutions - mostly to lose weight, spend less, etc. My least favorite holiday of the year.
    Count your blessings!

Just having some friends and family in to play board games and eat pizza. Happy New Year to everyone!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3258087;
    I'll be the Scrooge here... I HATE New Year's Eve.
    Right there with you. Lately we'd been having a small get-together with some close family friends, and that was fun (though I was sick for it two years ago, and exhausted last year), but that's on New Year's Day this year and I'm really just tempted to go to bed. Going out is an expensive, endlessly frustrating experience, and expectations for the night are set so high that it always ends up being a letdown.

And then it's January which battles February for the title of my least favorite month of the year.

I'll be drinking rot-gut whiskey all night No plans
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

LOL, Newfherder!
    I haven't gone out on New Years Eve in more years than I'd like to count and don't see that changing this year. In fact, I'm really not looking forward to it this year, as New Years Day will mark the one year "anniversary" of my ex telling me he wants to end the marriage ... nope, not really a day to celebrate. Although it hasn't really been a bad year, all things considered.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

We'll probably just be hanging out at home. Sarah's birthday is the first so we always watch her "birthday fireworks" I hate going out on NYE. Too many idiots on the roads. I feel much safer in my living room.

MRD

I used to celebrate New Year's back when I was single. Several friends and I always went to Key West every year for a few days and we used to have a lot of fun. Then marriage and baby made it not important to go out on New Year's. Now we call it "amatuer" night and we don't want to be out with the people who think it's a MUST to get wasted that one night of the year.

I usually am watching Rockin' New Year's Eve alone as hubby goes to bed although the past few years, my daughter would stay up with me and we would watch tv together.

We used to get together with friends early in the evening and do fondue, but everyone was home by 9 p.m. as no one wants to get out on the roads, but when we moved, that ended.

Personally, I like New Year's Day as we do our tradional meal and usually have friends over in the afternoon to eat and celebrate.

I used to love January as that is the only month of the year in Florida that isn't hotter than the 7th circle of hell. But here, it's always dreary and cold. However, I am looking forward to this January as there is a lot of stuff we still need to do inside the new house and it being nasty out makes it perfect to finish unpacking, decorating and getting our home all cozy inside. Plus, if my financial aid works out, then I will be starting classes on Jan. 12, so this year will be kind of busy.

I never make resolutions as I have found I don't keep them. But I do usually write down all the bad things that happened the previous year and then burn those on New Year's Eve as a symbol of letting the old year and the old hurts and resentments go along with the old year. It's actually kind of freeing, as corny as it may sound.

I'm really looking forward to working NYE this year. I will get to celebrate it somewhat, the work is easy and I'm getting paid a bundle. The only drawback is driving home at 2 a.m., but I live less than 5 min. away, so hoping to be extra careful and vigilant on the drive home. But the big money I will get for that night is what makes me look forward to working it. (and the food. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I will be drinking this year at home. I haven't done that for a good many years, but I have been wanting three different drinks, and figure, why the heck not. I'll probably read a book or two, maybe do some quilting, but I'm sure I'll enjoy myself!

Yeah, when we were younger, we always had a party to go to. Then came marriage and the kids. When we first moved into this neighborhood one of the neighbors always hosted a New Year's Eve party. Everyone just walked to his house and it was a nice time touching base with all the neighbors. Now he is long dead, half of those neighbors too, and others have moved away. No one does it anymore.

We will probably have my granddaughter sleep over here that night. On New Year's Day we will start taking down decorations. On the 2nd, we head off to Syracuse for my neice's wedding. I am looking forward to that more than NYE, as we will see my west coast sibs and their families and they can all see my granddaughter again (some have not seen her since 2005 and 2006!). I'll finally see my nephew, who returned from Iraq in October, and a niece who just returned from a semester in Paris.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that there are no pesky snowstorms to drive through!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast