+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year

MRD

Re: Happy New Year

Famita, what 3 drinks? I'm curious. Too bad we aren't closer and I didn't have to work, we could have a pajama party, drink and you could teach me to quilt! Wonder if drinking and quilting is how we got "crazy quilts"?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, I won't be eating feet-smelling legumes black-eyed peas; I didn't eat any last NYE and had a pretty good year! Hubby and I will have a quiet evening at home -- maybe a shrimp dinner, munchies and bubbly (Trader Joe's had some excellent blanc de noir which we had at Thanksgiving, then bought another bottle for NYE) while watching movies and then the ball drop. (I'll set an alarm in case we fall asleep!)

Then on New Year's Day, we'll go to the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a few nights. By checking in on New Year's Day rather than New Year's Eve, we get our very nice room/cabin at a 55% discount!!! (Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford it. We'd be looking at one night in the "bargain basement"-type room.) And that's also our Xmas present to each other.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We are debating whether or not to have some people over for New Year's Eve. I'm thinking it will be fun just to have another couple or two over for food and drink and Mr. M thinks it is too soon after my surgery. I am finally feeling much better, but he is still pretty wiped out from all of the trips to LA and back. Poor guy! During my last hospital stay, he made 5 trips back and forth for various reasons. We'll see what happens.

MRD

Ellen, if the black eyed peas smell like feet, then they are not being cooked properly.

But anyway, the eating of them is more of a Southern "thang" anyway.

However, many cultures and ethnic groups all have NY traditions that involve certain foods and their "power" to bring luck in the New Year. While I'm intelligent enough to know that my eating black eyed peas is probably not going to bring me luck, I also won't tempt fate.

Besides, the traditions we keep, help tie us to those that have gone on out of our lives, but who first taught us these things. It ties the generations together and pays tribute to those that have passed on. Or that's what I like to think anyway.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My S.O. and I always go to Shogun Restaurant where I always eat waaay too much rice with my food but its sooo good! We are one of those that risk getting out on the roads as the restaurant is about 90 minutes away from us!

We are usually back home in time for me (as he is usually conked out!) to watch Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve show. Its just not NYE to me unless I get to see Dick Clark's show!

We definitely do the black eyed peas for New Years Day! I love me some black eyed peas!

We had a lady in our Weight Watchers meeting yesterday talk about a tradition for them (she's originally from Pennsylvania) on NYD was to put a dime in their pot of black eyed peas and whoever found the dime would have good luck for the year!! I had never heard of that before!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3258558;
    . . . However, many cultures and ethnic groups all have NY traditions that involve certain foods and their "power" to bring luck in the New Year. . .
    I know -- with my peeps, it's herring and pickled pigs' feet. I don't eat those, either! (But my dad and sister do . . .)

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I usually get pretty tuned up on New Year's Eve.

This year instead of being in Central PA, I'll be in Southern California. I'm heading to the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day, so I have to behave myself a little bit. There is a PSU pep rally/New Year's Eve party that I might go to, but I think I'll probably celebrate East Coast New Year with some champagne and then go to bed. My body won't be ready for West Coast time New Year just yet!
    Wake up and be awesome

Aww, c'mon, AshleyPSU! You're not camping out on Colorado Avenue on New Year's Eve?

I'll be making a mess of greens at the restaurant ojust for the staff. I'll also make a pot of black eyed peas. Putting a dime in the pot of black eyed peas is a southern tradition. I'm surprised you've never heard of it bama.
    A Pot To Black-eyed Pea In :: The Memphis Flyer :: Food Feature :: Food & Wine
    The most common monetary tradition, however, is to hide a shiny new dime in the pea pot. Everyone who partakes in the feast can expect good luck, but the person who finds the dime will enjoy an especially large slice of the economic pie.

MRD

Did you know that the tradition of eating blackeyed peas started after Sherman laid waste to Georgia? He burned or pillaged all food except for the peas as he considered them to be "slave and livestock" food (Sherman may have been from the North, but he was not necessarily a proponent of the free black, he was a Unionist-but I digress).

The lowly black eyed pea that had indeed been livestock food saved the lives of many a Georgian during the end of the Civil War, when there was nothing else to eat. That was when people started eating them, but no one is sure when and how they came to symbolize luck on NY, but it was soon after as writings start to appear in the late 1860's about people eating them for NY Day. However, the Talmud has some writing about eating this pea on the start of the New Year to bring luck that dates back over 2000 years and Georgia did have a rather significant number of Jews who immigrated in the 18th centruy from Europe, so it may be a combination of there heritage and the fact that the black eyed pea was pretty much the only food available for a while that started that tradition in Georgia and spreading it throughout the South.
    The peas were originally imported from Africa by slaves like many of the foods we enjoy today, such as
    watermelon, rice, okra, yams, sesame and kidney and lima beans.

Collards had long been eaten on NY Day as a lot of Europeons brought over the tradtion of eating cabbage on Jan. 1 to symbolize prosperity. In the South, cabbage wasn't so readily available, but greens were. Writings of this tradition in the South go back to colonial days prior to the Revolution.

+ Reply to Thread