+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas gifts for co-workers

Christmas gifts for co-workers

If this topic has been covered anywhere else, please forgive me.

Even though this Christmas will be a bit leaner compared to previous years, I've done pretty good at finding things for parents, child, stepchildren, husband. One of my most frustrating problems this year is what to get co-workers. Yes, I know in the grand scheme of the world, this is a non-problem and I hesitated to ask something so....petty, I guess. But, since the FoRTer's are the greatest minds in the world, figured what the heck.

My office setting: I work in corrections, but the majority of my time is in an office area. I have a personal administrative assistant plus there are two others I work fairly closely with. There are also two men in here, one is my "equal" and the other is the big boss of us all. This makes 5 people I work with all day, every day. I also have three area supervisors who report directly to me and they each have their own staffs. In years past, the main office area here have drawn names, done the "white elephant" thing, given to whoever they chose, etc. This year, we haven't even discussed it. I have NO IDEA what to get these folks. Homemade cookies? Gift certificates? Money? Scratch off lottery tickets? I am not crafty (cranky yes, crafty no!).

Relationship wise, I get along well with them all, although I don't particularly care for one of the administrative assistants. I do not see or talk to any of these folks outside of work, except on rare occasions.

We will be having a holiday luncheon here at work on the 19th and I will need to have something in hand besides a corn casserole by then. Anybody have any ideas? I usually don't ask stuff like this, but this year I am just strangely exhausted all the time and can't think straight. Thanks!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Re: Christmas gifts for co-workers

I like the idea of the homemade cookies - you could put them in those Glad or Ziploc containers. Just saw some nice-sized ones at the store last night (in a festive, holiday green color). Or maybe, if you can find some not-too-expensive ones, how about an ornament? The place I'm working right now has that has their "Secret Santa" requirement. They do 2 gifts - one is something "that tastes good or smells good" and one ornament, with a $10 limit on each.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Why not candles? They can be festive, smelly (in a good way), and relatively inexpensive.

I work in an Office and we usually do a secret Santa exchange. We normally set a limit of up to $15. This year however we had a voted and decided instead of exchanging gifts we collect the money and give it to a senior center our company adopted.

MRD

Get thee to a dollar tree. They have really cute kinds of containers (I saw some that looked like chinese food takeout containers, but had Christmas prints on the packages)
    and you can put cookies in them.

Do your coworkers like coffee or tea? How about some "gourmet" tea or coffee. I actually love receiving flavored coffees and I've seen several gift sets at places like Target, etc.
    You can give it in the package, or take it out, put in a coffee mug, wrap cellphane around it and tie a bow. In fact, you can get great Christmas mugs at the Dollar Tree for a buck each, split up the gift coffee sets and put 2 each of the coffee in each mug for a gift.
    Fairly easy, relatively cheap and usually appreciated. You could add a small thing of cookies or other holiday treats you either buy or bake to go with it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am generally opposed to intra-office gift giving. It's too easy for someone to feel slighted. A general gift, like a plate of cookies set out for everyone, is OK.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I usually buy little gift bags and fill them with baked goods and some candy. Everyone gets the same thing so no one feels better than anyone else.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I've noticed people seem to enjoy lottery tickets. The thought of possibly winning some cash spices up the day.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3249225;
    I work in an Office and we usually do a secret Santa exchange. We normally set a limit of up to $15. This year however we had a voted and decided instead of exchanging gifts we collect the money and give it to a senior center our company adopted.
    I love this idea. What a wonderful idea and a great way to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.

I think I'd probably bring in some homemade baked treats for the office, too--just as my personal gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3249306;
    I am generally opposed to intra-office gift giving. It's too easy for someone to feel slighted. A general gift, like a plate of cookies set out for everyone, is OK.
    I feel the same way. The last Christmas I was at my office, we did something similiar to MsDiva's experience. We all donated to wig program for the local cancer center. It felt a lot more gratifying than giving someone a cheap gift, I can tell you that much. As for me, I always just give cards. I think that presents can get far too expensive, especially when you're not particularly close to anyone there.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast