+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas gifts for co-workers

Re: Christmas gifts for co-workers

I do that too MRD during the holidays. If someone is freezing outside, I usually buy them a coffee or tea and give it to them. I hate to see anyone suffer no matter what.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I have a brother that is mentally disabled and has at times been homeless, so I always think of him and hope that whereever he is, someone is doing the same for him. Not even his grown daughter has heard from him in 2 years now. Which has us all a little worried as usually she hears from him every few months. We don't even know where he is. However, if anything had happened, we feel sure we'd know as he is also a disabled veteran and the VA has her information as next of kin.

But I try to help out the homeless when I can by buying them coffee or a sandwich or something.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Another great gift for co-workers is a gift card to a neighborhood eating place. Anywhere in the area of the office is usually a big hit.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3249498;
    I guess the thing here is we have downstairs two Timothy's Coffees of the World, several Tim Hortons, a few Starbucks and some independent places, plus we are all forever getting gift cards for Starbucks from various places for some reason (I, a non-drinker of coffee, personally have $40 worth of cards sitting in my end table drawer). Apparently coffee of all sorts is as common as water 'round these here parts so it's not much appreciated as a gift.
    Just let me know if you need my address to send those gift cards. I love Starbucks but its a big treat for me to be able to splurge 5 bucks for a cup of coffee. Oh but how I savor every sip.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3249306;
    I am generally opposed to intra-office gift giving. It's too easy for someone to feel slighted. A general gift, like a plate of cookies set out for everyone, is OK.
    YES
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;3249599;
    Just let me know if you need my address to send those gift cards. I love Starbucks but its a big treat for me to be able to splurge 5 bucks for a cup of coffee. Oh but how I savor every sip.
    You know, I actually would send them to you because you're the first person to ask (kudos on the cojones ), but I think they may only be good at Canadian branches. So if there's a Canadian out there who would like them, put dibs on them now. And assume that I can find them (I just cleaned my livingroom).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I once lost a gift card for 2 years and recently found it. It was for Target and it actually was still good! It only had $20 on it but it's better than a stick in the eye.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just posted my thoughts under current fads that should stop. It's great if you want to exchange with someone in the office after hours, but not because it's just become a "tradition".

My twin sinister is always stuck being the one to figure out what to buy for the boss, to find it, get it, collect the money for it, wrap it, think of a new way to surprise him with it, etc. It drives her crazy, and no, no-one else will do it. I hated when I had to do that at my office. It's even more difficult when the boss isn't liked very much. And we're talking big bucks here and hard to find items.

The other thing I notice, is that a lot of people in higher positions in the company usually receive the big corporate baskets, pointsettias, candy, corporate gifty, and such,but the people who have been working on that account, or helped that boss make the client happy don't get a thing! And the supervisor rarely shares with the staff.

I think it's always fun to give a small token of appreciate to all the people who don't get noticed; the mailman, the lady behind your cafeteria counter who serves you everyday, the people who come in and clean your office late at night. They really appreciate it and are usually so surprised, they can't even say thank you!

Other than that, gift away to whoever you want! And to whoever you can afford!
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

We have a gift-exchange during out Holiday party every year, but you only have to participate if you want to. This year we played the Right-Left game, and I made up a story to play the game because all of the ones I found online were too religious or just kind of boring. My story was about our organization and mentioned all of our employees. It was a big success, and everyone had lots of laughs.

Our school staff has an optional Secret Santa week. For 3 days you give a small gift with a clue and at the party on the 4th day (potluck - Yum!) you have to guess who had your name (drawn) or you can't open your big present. It has to go all the way around before you can guess again. It's a lot of fun and so much better than a Yankee Swap. I HATE Yankee swaps. Sadistic, they are.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast