+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas gifts for co-workers

Re: Christmas gifts for co-workers

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3249323;
    I've noticed people seem to enjoy lottery tickets. The thought of possibly winning some cash spices up the day.
    We used to do the scratchers for Christmas but one year someone won $500 and other people felt left out. It's dumb, I know but I hate having anyone have hurt feelings even if it is a "lottery".
    Yup, with donuts!!

We had our team holiday potluck breakfast this morning (my feta and rosemary biscuits were the first thing to run out ) with a secret random gift exchange, value $15 tops. I received a cocktail shaker set, which I am very pleased with, and my boss ended up with the item I contributed, which is a lap desk (pillow bottom, hard top, for resting your computer or book on while sitting on the couch or in bed). Anyway, after the whole thing was over, there was the inevitable discussion about gift quality, and chocolate (Godiva or other decent quality), wine and useful items were all conceded to be good gifts. Mugs with coffee company names, even if they come with bags of coffee, fancy spoons and cinnamon sticks, anything with a Christmas theme or insignia, anything perfumed (many people have allergies), and anything not re-giftable to someone you actually like were deemed to be not good
    choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3249331;
    We used to do the scratchers for Christmas but one year someone won $500 and other people felt left out. It's dumb, I know but I hate having anyone have hurt feelings even if it is a "lottery".
    Actually, this is why I wouldn't give lottery tickets. I know myself well enough to know that I would be bitter and resentful if a ticket I gave to someone else came in big. I am otherwise a decent person who wishes well for others, but lottery winnings are the one place where I want to stamp my feet and yell "it's mine, it's all mine" like Daffy Duck on a pile of gold coins.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I always used to re-gift items I received at company exchanges unless it was alcohol. My husband received the wine rack I got one year and we still have it on the shelf with our wine in it!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Wow, you guys came up with some great ideas! I think I can incorporate one or two of those into my plans, especially the homemade cookies or other treats. I had already mentioned the scratch off lotto tickets to one of the other ladies, she said the same as buglover - what if someone wins a large amount of cash and the others got zippo? These folks already keep tabs on what the others get or don't get from others around here.

Wish I could give wine, but I am absolutely clueless about vintages, good ones, bad ones, etc. And I do work in a prison, so we can't exactly bring alcohol past the razor wire fences! (We can't even bring anything alcoholic or anything that could be used as a weapon into the parking lot)

I work in an Office and we usually do a secret Santa exchange. We normally set a limit of up to $15. This year however we had a voted and decided instead of exchanging gifts we collect the money and give it to a senior center our company adopted.
    We have actually already selected an "angel" off the angel tree at the local Salvation Army and everyone is participating in bringing in clothing, small gifts and other things for a very young child. This is something we do every year.

Rattus, how about passing along your feta and rosemary biscuit recipe. It sounds like something the cheese lovers around here would scarf up in a hurry. Care to share?

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your suggestions. Can you tell that I surf the FoRT while I'm at work just a wee bit??
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I think food is a good idea simply for the fact that you work in a high security area and shouldn't bring in anything that could be taken and used as a weapon. Everyone loves food!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Wish I could give wine, but I am absolutely clueless about vintages, good ones, bad ones, etc.
    I can help you out there--if it costs more than $2/gallon, you're just paying for the name on the label Oh, and another thing--that date on the bottle is NOT the expiration date :nono
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Newf, why don't your sell your bathtub wine-I bet you could get at least $3/gal!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3249384;
    Rattus, how about passing along your feta and rosemary biscuit recipe. It sounds like something the cheese lovers around here would scarf up in a hurry. Care to share?
    Done. I just posted it in the Just Recipes thread. I also noted that five people who had been at the breakfast, and who actually ate some of the biscuits, asked me for the recipe.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

With regards to wine, I usually go to Trader Joe's or BevMo and ask someone there to recommend a good wine that isn't too expensive. They are usually spot on and everyone enjoys the wine.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3249412;
    With regards to wine, I usually go to Trader Joe's or BevMo and ask someone there to recommend a good wine that isn't too expensive. They are usually spot on and everyone enjoys the wine.
    Trader Joe's is also a good place to get candies that you can gift at great prices. Or nuts. They have a nice variety of spiced nuts, interesting trail mixes, honey nuts. Mmm. Oh, and they have their own low price version of Moose Munch!

*drives to Trader Joe's for lunch*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast