+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Starting College or Going Back

Since I sorta hijacked the other thread with my college discussion, I figured a thread was needed. Except I don't have anything else to say currently.

I did go meet with an academic advisor this morning to make sure that I'm on track to transfer to CSU after I graduate from the two year college I'm currently attending. It looks like I have plenty of time to get my required credits in. CSU has a 60/60 agreement with my college that I complete 60 at FRCC for my associate degree and if I follow the right guidelines, I can graduate with my bachelor's from CSU with only 60 more credits. I'm currently set to finish early if I don't mess up.

The advising office is probably sick to death of me. I did horribly the first time I went to college. I was much too busy drinking, partying, and throwing away my full ride. Like Yardgnome said in the other thread, its a lot different when its your own money that you'd be wasting. Besides, my four kids would be kinda a hindrance to my old partying ways So I'm constantly in the advising office, making sure I'm doing what I should be doing. I just completed some intense career counseling to focus in on a major. I was torn between two things and finally was able to figure out the path I wanted to take. Its funny, I have a lot more considerations now than I did when I was 18. Now I have to not only think of a career that I want to do, but also one that would fit in with my family. I can't do something that will have me working long or late hours with four young children.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Kao

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Congrats to you, Stargazer! ^_^

I'm applying to two different grad schools in NY now and I'm nervous as hell about a) getting accepted and b) what sort of financial package I'm going to get IF I get accepted. Since there's a limit to how many scholarships one can get on the grad school level (especially for art school) I'm applying to every grant I can find in my field on the Web.

Star, I'm with you on the thinking of more than a career. My big thing that I think about is my retirement. I started building one before I started back up and it's something my classmates always give me a funny look about when I mention. For most of them, being a lawyer will be there first big job they've ever had. I've already had a career and started building a retirement, so the types of jobs I want to look for will have to fall into my retirement plan that I already started. There are many more things I think about with graduating then I ever did when I was doing undergrad.

MRD

Oh Star, that was me. I partied my way out of school when my parents were paying for it.
    Now I think I'll do much better as I really WANT it now.
    I'm not worried about anyone treating me differently, I get along great with all kinds of people. I just worry about handling the workload. And the math and science part. But I have a great in house tutor there.

I just want to start taking my major classes and get finished. I am even thinking about getting my masters after I get the BA. but we'll have to see how that goes first.

I currently work in a history museum and I'd like to keep doing that, but in a better paid position. If not, then I think I would seriously like to work in Veteran's Affairs. Or get a gig as a paid lecturer. I do a lot of lectures now and love it, but I don't always get paid for them. I just love having a captive audience.

Kao, best of luck on the grad schools.

Yardgnome, keep up the great work. You're more than halfway done now.

Star, thanks for starting this thread. I think it will help all of us. I think my biggest worries are that I don't want to screw up like last time. I'm more concerned about handling the work than I am about the people. Besides, the head of the history department knows many of the people I work with currently and therefore I either will be expected to be head and shoulders above everyone else, or have a great ally. She's already told me she prefers the "mature" students like me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Kao, good luck getting in and paying for it. I know its a tough wait, but hopefully one of them will pull through.

MRD, you're welcome. There have been times this semester when I could have used someplace to vent about all the work I'm trying to keep up with. Don't worry about being able to handle the work. Just GO TO CLASS! If you do that, study, and read your syllabus, you'll be fine. Plus, I've discovered that almost everything that I don't understand, I can find an explanation online. Also be sure to check out your college's writing/ math center if they have one. Almost every college has them and they will often tutor you for free if you're having a tough time in a class.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Yippee! I had my last two finals today, so I'm a free woman until January. Thank god. I had WAY too much to do this month as it was, with two kid's birthdays and Christmas.

Anyway, I think I'll end up with three A's and one B. Its a high B, but I couldn't quite wriggle the A out of the class. Oh well. I'm still happy with it.

Fantastic job Star! I'm really proud of you.

MRD

Way toi go Star.

I'm having issues with financial aid and if I can't get it, then I'm not going to be going back in Jan.
    I have been calling just about every day to check on it because the school told me to call them, so I have been.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Congrats Star!!

Good luck with your financial aid MRD. I remember having to deal with the financial aid system in college (I graduated in 1997) and it was always a nightmare.

My dad went back to college shortly before I graduated from HS and did great and is very happy in his new career. I always joke with people that my parents are the poster children for mid-life career change. My dad was in construction and is now a psychologist and my mom worked in a dental office and is now in a database programming position and picks up some college classes on the side.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

I graduated with my BS and immediately got a teaching job out of college. I decided to go back to school for my Master's while working. I couldn't get any financial aid for my Master's so I paid for most of it out of pocket or through loans. It was expensive because instead of taking some random video courses or whatever here and there (like a lot of my colleagues did), I wanted to get my Master's of Education from Penn State. I had to take my GREs and apply and get accepted into a Master's program. PSU isn't cheap. I hate that there isn't enough financial aid out there for people who want to go back to school. There are practically no scholarships or "free" money options for Master's candidates. Good luck on the financial aid journey. It sure is a pain.
    Wake up and be awesome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 123456789101151 ... LastLast