+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

MRD, I really do wish there was something I could do to help you with the German and Statistics classes. Have you looked into finding a tutor, like queenb suggested? Sometimes some of the other folks in class might be willing to team up for extra study time, or you could barter your knowledge of history for someone that knows statistics backwards and forwards. Put a help/want ad on some of the bulletin boards.

Something I tried when getting my undergrad degree years ago and running into the same problem of trying to make appointments with the instructors: I marched up to my math instructor and said, "Hi. I'm sure you've seen my puzzled face in class and heard the confusion in my voice when you call on me. I am going to come by your office this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest and I need you to help me understand some of these equations and theorems. I'll bring the coffee, would you also like a snack of some kind?"

It worked, I went by that day and we spent about an hour going over some of the problems I was having. I took cookies.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

MRD

Thanks guys. I see now that it is normal to be told to seek help, but then not really get it. I have a German tutor lined up, but trying to make arrangements to get together has been almost impossible. We are finally supposed to get together next Mon.

I emailed my Stats teacher and I am meeting him tomorrow and I am laying it all on the line, that I am basically in WAY over my head in this class and don't know what to do at this point. I have not had any math classes in 27 years, haven't used anything but basic math in that time period and feel like the class is in Martian. At least in German, I can understand some of it and seem to be making headway. In stats, I can't get past the first part of chapter 2 and the class is already on chapter 3 and I have one more chance to take the test for chapter's 1 and 2 on Feb. 5. But as I can't get past the first 1/5 of chapter 2, I know I will not be prepared to take the test and I'm getting farther and farther behind.
    Math lab, what a joke. My husband is helping and he's doing a fairly good job as he's had a lot of advanced college math, but well, you know how it is when 2 people that have a relationship try to teach each other anything.

We'll see what the teacher suggests after tomorrow. I hate being behind as it gets almost impossible to catch up. And I feel utterly stupid because I can't grasp what everyone keeps telling me are easy concepts. I mean, I know I'm not a stupid person, but my mind does not think logically apparantly. I need to reteach myself how to think along the lines of statistics, but I don't know how. I feel like at some point I will absorb enough and a button will be pressed and I will go: AHA!!!! and get it. But am still waiting for the "aha moment" to happen.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosiedog, remember too that its better to drop a class than fail it. If you get no satisfaction from your professors and feel really uncomfortable about the classes, drop them before the drop/add deadline and try to take something else instead. Or, if you really feel that the professors are being negligent, you might want to complain to the dean and ask them to keep you anonymous. I'm sorry you're having such a bad experience with a couple of your professors. Just don't let it make you give up on professors for good because I've had very good luck with them and never had any trouble with them getting back to me. I go to a school that's very "plugged in" to technology, though, so the professors are constantly emailing and whatnot.

My classes are going well so far. I gave a speech today and also did a short presentation on sex in China for my Human Sexuality class. So there's been a lot of work right out of the gate, but its been fun.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I agree with Star, if the class becomes too much, better to drop and lose some money then fail it. Math is a tougher subject to learn and people explain it different ways and sometimes it takes finding the right person to understand it to get it.

My classes are also going well. I'm starting to feel really stressed though and it's only the third week. I'm still waiting for 3 of my grades to come back, which doesn't help matters at all. I'm taking moot court this semester and we have a huge brief due in about 4 weeks and I'm stressing a little about that. One of my other classes, Defending Battered Women, is great, but we also are writing a huge paper for that and between researching for that and Moot Court, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm meeting my Defending Battered Women prof next week to go over my topic and get some research guidance and I know that will help, it's just a lot of stuff going on right now. Thanks for letting me have my vent party.

MRD, I'd keep going back to those professors. Could be they're just swamped with the beg. of classes. If that does not work, I'd light a fire under the guidance counselor to do something. With school funding being so low, these professors will take some action. Good Luck and keep up the good attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3292308;
    Rosiedog, remember too that its better to drop a class than fail it. If you get no satisfaction from your professors and feel really uncomfortable about the classes, drop them before the drop/add deadline and try to take something else instead. Or, if you really feel that the professors are being negligent, you might want to complain to the dean and ask them to keep you anonymous. I'm sorry you're having such a bad experience with a couple of your professors. Just don't let it make you give up on professors for good because I've had very good luck with them and never had any trouble with them getting back to me. I go to a school that's very "plugged in" to technology, though, so the professors are constantly emailing and whatnot.

My classes are going well so far. I gave a speech today and also did a short presentation on sex in China for my Human Sexuality class. So there's been a lot of work right out of the gate, but its been fun.
    I second that suggestion. It might be better to cut your losses for now and just get back in the school routine with classes that don't completely stress you out. And I know what you mean about the math classes myrosiedog, I detest math and it has no great love for me....my brain just refuses to wrap around some of the concepts and equations. I can do add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, decimals, percentages. I can do fairly complicated personal taxes. I can do a little geometry. But beyond that, I get into trouble. Ironically, my daughter Jessie (my av) is an absolute whiz at mathematics. Rosiedog, I really, really hope things get better.

Stargazer, I will probably regret it and end up offending you and I certainly apologize if that happens. But I gotta know, is sex in China a whole lot different from sex in the United States? All I have ever heard is that the Chinese culture is a lot more open about their sexuality nowadays but not so much in the past. One of my co-workers is currently in Hong Kong with his girlfriend and just sent an email about that very thing. Just curious.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3292952;

Stargazer, I will probably regret it and end up offending you and I certainly apologize if that happens. But I gotta know, is sex in China a whole lot different from sex in the United States? All I have ever heard is that the Chinese culture is a lot more open about their sexuality nowadays but not so much in the past. One of my co-workers is currently in Hong Kong with his girlfriend and just sent an email about that very thing. Just curious.

Trust me, I can't get offended.

First, a disclaimer. I'm no "sex in China" expert or anything. I just read some text that he assigned to me and presented it in class. But I can tell you what I know. Basically, China has about 5,000 years of history and the first 4,000 were pretty good as far as sexual attitudes. The first sex manuals came from China and they believed (because of Taoism) that sex was vital because it brought together the positive and negative influences of yin and yang. So the Chinese not only were open about sex, they felt that it was necessary for the health and well-being of the individual. Then around a 1,000 years ago, the attitudes started to change because of a shift in religious beliefs. Sex became repressed and sexually explicit material was banned. This continued and was reinforced when the People's Republic of China was formed in 1949 (?). They imposed strict regulations on sex and made practices such as pre-marital sex illegal. As recently as this century, there have been executions because of sexual acts that we wouldn't find all that strange here. The early 1980's were probably the most oppressive, with married couples not even holding hands. In recent years, though, attitudes have started to change and they see sexuality as important to the health of the individual again. They have sex ed in high school and are able to engage in behaviors that were previously illegal. Now they are marked more by being conservative than oppressive. For example, around 80% of people who took part in a survey were virgins when they married.

Anyway, that's the overview. If you want to know particular sex practices, you'll have to Google it. I don't think I should go that far on here.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Wow Star, that's a very interesting topic. See, that's the part I LOVE about school.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I'm carrying 12 hours and if I drop the class, it puts my financial in some sort of tailspin. I'm still trying to figure THAT out. Drop/Add was only 3 days and I only had ONE class in that 3 days, so I didn't know then how over my head statistics was going to be. I don't want to fail it. I would rather drop it and take it or something else later. I never intended to take it this semester anyway, but was left taking classes that were open and there weren't many. And my advisor who doesn't know me from Adam, really reccomended I take it. I realize now I shouldn't have. So, if I stay in it, there is a real possibility I'll fail. If I drop it, it does something bad to my financial aid. I'm got a really nice email from the prof today, so I meet him tomorrow and we'll see what happens. AND I'm going to find out EXACTLY what happens to my financial aid if I drop below 12 hours.
    You know, things are SO different that not only am I learning in my classes, but the entire going back to school, financial aid, school websites and email, web assignments, and all the new technical stuff is making my head spin. I'm treading water though. Just learning how to navigate all the stuff that doesn't go on in class is a real learning experience. But this is a very small college and so far most everyone seems helpful and my advisor's secretary is also a jewel and has been around and told me she could help me too. (don't think I will see as much of my advisor as I will of her).

The problem with the German teacher is that he taught HS for 25 years and this is only his 2nd semester teaching college. He's an adjunct and has told us repeatedly that he makes hardly any money, so to supplement, he's teaching English and German at an online highschool, so most of his time is spent on that. So he's told us up front, he's basically teaching HS when he's not teaching us. Personally, I think he's kind of overwhelmed too. But I have decided to be persistant. And I have decided that instead of sitting in class with my mouth hanging open as he rambles around the language making no sense, that I'm going to raise my hand and ask about a million questions. So far, I felt sort of intimidated in there and haven't asked questions or known what to ask. So now, my stategy is to start asking and keep asking until I understand and maybe that will slow him down long enough to realize that we're not taking speed German.

Good thing I'm not intimidated in my Government classes. No problem raising my hand in those classes. In fact, the profs probably wish I'd shut up.
    I did get a GREAT head start on my Florida politics paper and got a really NICE email from that prof today that was very complimentary.

I just need to get the stupid required classes like German, Statistics and one more science out of the way and I think I'll not have any serious problems as the rest of the stuff I'll be taking will be the stuff I'm interested in and I already know how to do research and write papers, so won't be learning any new, difficult techniques. I foresee (and you all can remind me of this later when it turns out to be not true) that the hardest part of the upcoming major classes will be getting all the reading, research and paper writing in.

Thanks for all the support guys and letting me rant. I usually feel much better after a long rant on here. I'll get it figured out. I'm still in that phase where I'm sick, I'm out of my element and I still have a family that biazarrely thinks we should have groceries in the house and a meal at night that doesn't come from a drive thru. And some form of clean laundry. I gave up on getting it folded. At least it's clean. (and yes they help out, but the entire house has been sick with this flu, so it's just bad timing right now and the one that feels the best has to fix the food.)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3291962;
    "Dachs" is the German word for "badger." So, Dachshund = "badger dog." They were originally bred and used for hunting badgers, with long, thin bodies that could easily get into the burrows and scare badgers (and other such animals) out.
    Exactly! Although, our Henry isn't really thin and the only thing that he has ever scared away is a poor baby squirrel... I always joke that he does a GREAT job of keeping the badgers away because there aren't any badgers in Alabama.

MRD - hang in there with the statistics. My college roomate teaches HS math and a few college statistic courses. She does some online tutoring as well and I'll find out what is involved with that and let you know. I would NEVER have passed statistics if it weren't for her - I was her first "student" .
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3292649;
    I agree with Star, if the class becomes too much, better to drop and lose some money then fail it. Math is a tougher subject to learn and people explain it different ways and sometimes it takes finding the right person to understand it to get it.

My classes are also going well. I'm starting to feel really stressed though and it's only the third week. I'm still waiting for 3 of my grades to come back, which doesn't help matters at all. I'm taking moot court this semester and we have a huge brief due in about 4 weeks and I'm stressing a little about that. One of my other classes, Defending Battered Women, is great, but we also are writing a huge paper for that and between researching for that and Moot Court, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm meeting my Defending Battered Women prof next week to go over my topic and get some research guidance and I know that will help, it's just a lot of stuff going on right now. Thanks for letting me have my vent party.
    Im sorry you haven't gotten those grades back yet! I would be totally mental by now. Just try not to let it bother you and concentrate on your classes for this semester. Just make good use of your time and you'll be fine.

+ Reply to Thread