+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

I think some of the textbook publishers are starting to do that - putting the 'books' on line and you purchase a 'key' to access it. My daughter had one book she could do that with. The book was over $100, but the key was about $50.

they are not getting anything from the resales, and the costs are high initially because they make their money on only that transaction (not that it is right).

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3282263;
    . . . they are not getting anything from the resales, and the costs are high initially because they make their money on only that transaction (not that it is right).
    Plus, it takes a LOT of time and effort on the author's part to write a textbook. And s/he isn't exactly getting rich in the deal!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I LOVE my Southern Politics class. The teacher is great. We have started off discussing an overview of Southern politicians like George Wallace. Then we did a whole class of "defining" the South and defining the Southern time periods: Colonial, Old South antebellum, war and reconstruction, redeemers and populists, The Jim Crow South,Civil Rights: "The 2nd reconstruction", accommodation and moderation and The "Southernization" of America. We also discussed the 4 "media events" that define the South: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Birth of a Nation, Gone With the Wind and Roots.

I would say this professor is in his late 60's or early 70's and he was an adjunct in 1979 when they had a long time SC politician come on faculty. When this guy came on, he invited many politicians to come speak in 1979 and they videotaped them so we will get to see some of them. Like George Wallace, Claude Pepper (Senator from Florida) and others.

It's just a real interesting class. We've discussed the "Solid South", Nixon's Southern Stragegy in 1968, Reagan's annoucing his run for president from Philadelphia, Miss (The movie Mississippi Burning takes place there. It was the location where the 3 civil rights workers were murdered).

So far I would like to slap the you know what out of Sissy Sorority Girl that is in the class and I'm not the only one. We have to write a paper and we are to pick a Southern state and do it's political history including colorful characters in it's politics and we are also to compare and contrast it to another state, talk about how that state has voted in 2000, 2004 and 2008 and analyze any changes. So this girl says why do we have to do that? Why would the old elections have anything to do with it? You could almost hear the class do a collective gasp. And she's a senior and a political science major. There's a certain political party that cannot WAIT to hire her when she graduates. I bet she wishes she could see Russia from her house.

Anyway, this is one of those classes I wish everyone I knew could take so we could talk about it as it's just really, really, really interesting and the Prof is a very interesting man and most of the other students are interesting too. It's a very discussion oriented class. And I made a friend there already and since both of us are from Florida, the Prof suggested we work on our papers together and choose the state of Florida.

As for the book thing. I totally understand why they cost so much and I realize that textbook authors don't make a lot, but most college students don't have a lot to spend either and it's just a universal gripe about the cost of books and the edition changes that you have to keep up with when most of us are getting financial aid or are pinching pennies just to go to school.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, so glad to hear how well it's going, but then we at the FORT all had faith in you.
    I understand your point about the public speaking class, but I would still encourage you to think about it. Obviously, you are a good speaker as you've gotten speaking engagements on your own and it's part of your job. However, taking one class can put you so far ahead of anyone else and give you a real edge and will make you feel comfortable even with your younger schoolmates.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3282504;
    MRD, so glad to hear how well it's going, but then we at the FORT all had faith in you.
    I understand your point about the public speaking class, but I would still encourage you to think about it. Obviously, you are a good speaker as you've gotten speaking engagements on your own and it's part of your job. However, taking one class can put you so far ahead of anyone else and give you a real edge and will make you feel comfortable even with your younger schoolmates.
    My advisor has suggested I take advanced public speaking instead of the required public speaking class that everyone takes and I think I will do that as it goes more into speech writing and better delivery methods. The other class is designed more to get people over their fear of speaking in public and there is not a lot of your own writing done in that class. Obviously I don't have the fear and I think I could use more help in the speech writing department.

Well, I'm headed back for my second semester of school tomorrow. I'm on the Dean's List right now, so I would like to stay there.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Good luck, Star!

We are in our second week of school. I have 1 of 4 grades back from last semester, and probably won't see the last three for another three weeks. The waiting for grades is almost as stressful as exam week. This is a horrible system.

MRD

Best wishes Star for the new semester and staying on the dean's list.

Star! I'm sure you'll stay on the dean's list!

Oooooo, the dean's list. Good for you!

+ Reply to Thread