+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Good luck with the TN class, mrd. I never understand the thinking that limits financial aid to full time students, when there are so many adults who can't afford to take the time off work to go full time. OK, if they have to triage I guess they should prioritize the full time people, but it is almost as if they think limiting it to full timers will make those part time slackers switch to full time, when that isn't the issue at all.

MRD

You have to carry 12 hours to get aid. I was working part time and going to school full time and it was HARD. I can't imagine how hard it is to work full time and go to school full time and I know a lot of people that have done it.

But thanks. I'm getting excited about getting back into it. Not so excited about having to take German 2, statistics and a lab science, but glad to start getting classes in my major again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have to be full time to get my financial aid, and I have to go year around, except for winter semester, which is like a month. After this summer, I'll have a semester and a half left for my degree. I'm ready to be done and hope I can find a good full time job. You're right though MRD, full time school, part time job, house, yard, garden, husband, grandkids, and life in general and I'm more busy than ever. At least with a job, I don't come home with 6 hours of homework!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I went back to school about three years ago and just graduated in May. It was tough but soooo worth it. I encourage everyone to hang on and take it one class at a time.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I finally went back to school and just graduated last Friday with my Associates in Accounting. That's nothing for a lot of folks but it means a lot to me. I quit school a long, long time ago and I've kicked myself for not sticking with it when I had the chance back then. This was a huge accomplishment for me and now I am ready to move onto my Bachelor's in Accounting but financially it's going to be hard. I'm going to try to do everything I can to continue.

MRD

Congrats Bigbadgirl and Realitychick.

Running into financial problems. So I'm not sure if I will be able to start back in August. I got a deferment on nubile student loans, but $1400 somehow fell through the cracks. I can't get any aid or grant money until it's paid in full. As we are barely making ends meet, that won't be happening. But I can make payments on it and hopefully start back in January.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I feel ya. I STILL can't get any aid, beyond the state HOPE grant, which will only pay I think 75% of tuition due to state budget cuts...because I 'earned' too much money this year--geez, meaning I used up what I had left in savings to keep my nose out of the water way back in the winter of last year, but it still counts as 'income' when I emptied my little account. In truth I am broke, but this year will show 'too much income' again due to trashing my retirement acct. THIS winter. Had I known it would count against me in so many ways I would have liquidated everything I had in 2010.
    Still, I'm going to get it done one wy or the other. I have to take a forced break anyway, because I still want to do the vet classes, but had to drop that chemistry to keep from getting a low grade, was not ready. So, will be taking it fall semester then start the vet stuff NEXT fall, as it only starts once a year. Hell by the time I ever finish I will be only about a year out from collecting early retirement payments from my old job, not that they will be enough money to mention
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Congrats to Realitychick and Bigbadgirl!!

I feel for all of you who are struggling to find financial aid. Deciding to go back to school was such a hard decision for me. I was so intimidated and just plain afraid to take the first step. When made the decision, I had been told that I would qualify for student aid as a displaced worker. I went and filled out paper after paper... then the lady did the financial part and found out that I didn't qualify because we own property and have some assets. So, I would have to lose everything that my husband and I have worked for over the last 30 years, and THEN they will give me some money. I was so depressed I just sat and cried. But, I had made my decision so I enrolled part time. I signed up for 2 classes and paid for it myself. About half way through my first semester, I got notice from the employer where I'd been laid off that there were government grants available to those of us who were laid off because we lost our jobs due to foreign trade. I jumped through all their hoops and let me tell you, there were and still are plenty of them, but it's well worth it. They pay my tuition, books, mileage, and a small living expense. I'm so grateful because realistically, I know that without this grant, I would have dropped school by now.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

It is so encouraging to hear others talk about their struggles and successes in regards to going back to school. My greatest inspiration is my mother. At 48 she decided to go to college for the first time and now seven years later has a bachelors and just completed her masters. I'm about to enter the masters program in the fall and very nervous but I know it will be worth it in the end.
    luvsginger likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Congratulations to your mom Realitychick! And good luck to you!!

+ Reply to Thread