+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Thanks for the advice Vonna. I've been tempted to take on more of a load. I've been taking 12 to 13 credits per semester, 9 for summer semester, which maintains my full time status and keeps my financial aid happy. My advisor keeps asking me if I want a heavier load and so far, I've said no. I'm not really sure I could handle much more, with a part time job, grandkids, house, yard, garden, family, etc. to take care of too. So, I guess I'll keep going the way I have been.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4045534;
    Thanks for the advice Vonna. I've been tempted to take on more of a load. I've been taking 12 to 13 credits per semester, 9 for summer semester, which maintains my full time status and keeps my financial aid happy. My advisor keeps asking me if I want a heavier load and so far, I've said no. I'm not really sure I could handle much more, with a part time job, grandkids, house, yard, garden, family, etc. to take care of too. So, I guess I'll keep going the way I have been.
    I think you made the wise choice Lil. when it comes to school, its very tempting to load up on units just to get it over with or to save money.....but some area in my life always suffered whenever I loaded up.

Keep up the good work!!!!
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4045534;

I'm not sure what your advisor has in mind, but I advise college students myself, and it sounds to me as if you understand your situation and your goals quite well, and that you're pursuing the best course of action for you. Could be, however, that your advisor is simply asking you if you want to take on more because he/she feels the need to ask all his/her students whether they want to increase their loads, just to make sure they're content with the progress they're making towards their degrees. I always ask them if they're aware of how many credits they still need for graduation and what courses they still need to take in the major merely to remind them that they do need to keep track of that sort of thing themselves and not just depend on me to do it for them.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And you should also know that schools are under some pressure to get people out in 5 years or less...why, you may ask. Because some of the ratings systems give points for % of students who graduate in 5 years or fewer. While there are many variables the school can't nfluence speed of graduation is one they can try to push. Then they get a higher rating. Then they get more applicants (and a higher rating from that) and can be more selective, so then have higher SAT scores in those they accept so, again, higher ratings. So anything they can do to push up the ratings they do. So while Tilden could be right there could be something else as well. And of course it is usually good for people to finish more quickly, so not really "evil" on the part of the advisor.
    So I agree, do what feels good for you.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4053297;
    And you should also know that schools are under some pressure to get people out in 5 years or less...why, you may ask. Because some of the ratings systems give points for % of students who graduate in 5 years or fewer. While there are many variables the school can't nfluence speed of graduation is one they can try to push. Then they get a higher rating. Then they get more applicants (and a higher rating from that) and can be more selective, so then have higher SAT scores in those they accept so, again, higher ratings. So anything they can do to push up the ratings they do. So while Tilden could be right there could be something else as well. And of course it is usually good for people to finish more quickly, so not really "evil" on the part of the advisor.
    So I agree, do what feels good for you.

Beyond that, and I agree with all the things you said about ratings systems etc., students often really, really want to get done in four years or less and sometimes don't take into consideration that taking fewer credits per year means that simply can't happen. Then, when it becomes apparent that it's not going to happen, they can end up blaming the adviser. It's never happened to me, but it has happened to colleagues, and if it happens even once, it can make you really anxious that it never happen again--hence the need to ask regularly if a student doesn't want to take more courses per semester. I would add, however, that often students who take an overload later regret it, because even if they successfully complete that semester, the experience can be so exhausting that it may not seem worth it, especially if it means having to give up other activities they enjoy (choir, theatre, sports etc.) for that semester.

My grades have been posted and I earned a 4.0 last semester!!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Fantastic!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4127879;
    Woo Hoo! Congrats Lil Bit!!!

Great job Lil All your hard work paid off!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4127879;
    WTG, Lil Bit!!!

My sister started college at age 50 and was valedictorian of her class in '06. She had a full time job while she pursued her degree. She'd applaud you, too. She'd also tell you that your experience, and most especially communication skills acquired over time, give you a huge advantage over the young kids. Keep knocking it out of the park!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread