+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

QueenB- great job! Don't let that B get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;4026942;
    ...and what are you going to use algebra for queenb?
    To get into my vet tech program
    Actually, mixture problems are used in chemistry, and they are algebra; if I don't get into vet tech (they take only 30) I will be doing Bioscience, which will involve a couple of different organic chemistry classes, and if I end up working in bioscience some postions do use a lot of chemistry. And those going into engineering use algebra and calculus a LOT. Also, a lot of things you don't think of as being algebra actually are, such as how to figure interest rates or travel time and distance.

Not that it makes me any happier about it...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well explained, queenb! Basic algebra, balancing equations, is extremely useful in any kind of science. Maybe you should rename yourself queenA! Congrats on the good grades, and
    yardgnome, belated best wishes on the outcome of the bar exam! Just remember, it took John-John three tries---somehow I think you will do better than that!

One more semester finished for me! I took my final in Medical Terminology this morning. I would have swore that the final was scheduled for Aug 9 through 12. This morning I went on the college site to see if my grades for my other class had been posted and just happened to notice that the final was Aug 8 through 10!! I guess I'm lucky that I noticed it and didn't miss the final. I hope I did okay because I didn't study at all, but the book was 22 chapters and over 1000 pages, so I really wouldn't know where to begin anyway.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Congrats, Lil Bit!

Congrats to Yardgnome, Queenb and Lil Bit!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I got an A in my Payroll Accounting class!!! I was hoping for a B but planning on a C, so I am absolutely thrilled with an A. That gives me a 4.0 for my summer semester and a 3.97 accumulated GPA.

Some back story on my accounting nightmare. My advisor, for unknown reasons, put me in Payroll Accounting during summer semester, and Intro to Accounting in Fall Semester. Yep, kind of backwards in my humble opinion. I had so much trouble with that class, (it was online), I finally contacted the instructor and made time to drive to the college for a week back in June and got some extra help with a big project. When I talked to another accounting teacher he was stunned that she had put me in payroll first. He said I should have Intro, then Financial Acct., and then Payroll. But I made it through, and obviously better than I thought. Or maybe the teacher just took pity on me and gave me extra credit because I worked my butt off on that class. Either way, I'm happy.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Good job Lil Bit!

well, my plans are definitely working out. 4 year degree - future possibility. But with the help of the Accounting chair - and rearraging classes , waiving prereqs because of my background -
    It looks like I can finish the Associate Degree and take the CPA test before the end of next year!! I'm very excited. and it is about 80% accounting classes - yeah! It has always been my first choice, but work just took me in a different direction.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Thanks Schmoo. I guess I know who to go to if (or rather, when) accounting kicks me in the butt again! Good luck to you, though it sounds like you won't need it.

Loved reading about all you going back to school. I went back to school twice. Once in my mid 30's and again in my mid 50's..enjoyed it so much and like you all had to readjust my schedule during the breaks...I would feel so lost trying to figure out what to do with my time. I earned my degree in Industrial Tech with emphasis in graphics/interior design.Was one of about 4 women to graduate in that field (1988)..then later a teaching credential in Special Education.

The only thing I regret about getting my degree was I took way too many units (18 and over) per semester. If I had it to do all over, I'd not take more than 12 per semester. In the whole scheme of life, what's another year????? The heavy loads weren't worth all of the stress. That would be my little 2 cents worth of advice....take it easy..

So proud of all you....keep up the fantastic work!!!!
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread