+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

MRD

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Congrats Star. That is VERY impressive, the magna cum laude stuff. Way to go!

As things continue to drag on with my marriage troubles, it is looking more and more like I won't be returing to school in the fall.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3900787;
    You can definitely do it, queenb. Like rosie said, find a tutor if you have any problems.

I graduated with my associates of arts degree last night. I wasn't going to go through the ceremony because I'm planning on getting my B.S. in two more years, but my husband talked me into it. I'm glad he did because it was nice to see some sort of recognition for two years of hard work. I graduated magna cum laude.
    CONGRATULATIONS! I got my Associate's degree before getting my B.S. too.
    I am so happy to see people who value education. I went through all my ceremonies, including law school too. Celebrate your accomplishments.

I am so disappointed that most of the people in my family are leaving school or just not going. I have promoted higher education for years, bought them pre-college books and prep material, etc. It doesn't seem to have done any good. Their tuition and books were provided for them at no costs. I don't understand it.

It's good to see some people are eager to learn and work hard to get their degrees!

Congrats, Star! Going to the ceremony is always fun. Mine is on the 22nd and I'm super excited to walk.

I didn't 'walk' when I got my other degrees years ago, but you better bet I will this time, even if most everyone else is young enough to be my grandkid!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3900787;
    I graduated with my associates of arts degree last night. I wasn't going to go through the ceremony because I'm planning on getting my B.S. in two more years, but my husband talked me into it. I'm glad he did because it was nice to see some sort of recognition for two years of hard work. I graduated magna cum laude.
    Congrats, Star! I'm also glad you took the time to celebrate your achievement! Good luck with your B.S....it'll be over before you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3900960;
    As things continue to drag on with my marriage troubles, it is looking more and more like I won't be returing to school in the fall.
    I was sad to read this, mrd. It seemed like you truly enjoyed your classes and you were doing extremely well. I hope things end up working out and you're able to enroll this fall.
    Don't let the small things sweat

Star, you rock!
    Spoose, congrats on a job well done.

MRD

I did enjoy my classes a lot and was making the dean's list. But I may not have a lot of choice about returning to school because of financial issues due to the separation. I may be going back to work full time instead.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know it would be quite a handful but does your school have classes that meet in the evening or on weekends that would allow you to work full-time and go to school part-time? It would take a bit longer to get the degree, but you could still work towards it and sometimes it's nice to have an alternate form of mental stimulation outside of work...

I also keep hoping you'll be able to continue with school in some capacity because I know how much you enjoyed it.

Mrd, I know that sometimes life seems to get in the way of our intentions, but please go talk to your financial aid office before you give up. Don't just call or email them. Make an appointment and go in to speak with someone. Sometimes those financial aid counselors can work miracles, especially with special circumstances like you have right now. It may not work, but there's always the possibility that they can help you come up with a solution. I hope you give it a shot before you give up entirely. Going back to school has been the most fulfilling thing I've done next to motherhood and my marriage. We've had to make sacrifices here, so I know what you're going through. My husband was laid off for my the past two semesters and the only income we had coming in was my two part-time jobs. He was insistent that we try to make it work because he didn't want me to drop out. Somehow we did. It was very, very hard working two jobs and taking care of the kids and going to school full-time, but I lived. My husband is thankfully employed again now, but it was definitely a difficult time. So even though it might seem hopeless, just make sure you explore all your options before you put school on the back burner.

Congratulations to all of you who are back in school and doing well. And don't worry if its a struggle. I had a math class that almost kicked my butt this semester. There were many times where I thought I would fail. But I kept at it and managed to pull a "B" in the end. Sometimes we don't even know what we're capable of until we're put to the fire.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD, I also want to tell you not to just hang it up; I'd say about a third of the students where I'm going are single parents, immigrants, unemployed (like me) or people working a couple of jobs and taking one or two classes at a time. You can find a way too! My savings will run out around the end of this quarter, but I've been baking cakes for my sister's restaurant, and am going to start selling them individually as well. I also plan to make some nice flyers for pet sitting--you can get fully insured (liability, not health) for not much at all for a whole year if you join the petsitters association. If I end up having to get up at 4 am to bake cinnamon rolls every morning and sell them in the Home Depot parking lot at 6:30 to make my school money, that's what I'll do; there is a way, somehow. Hopefully next year I will be able to get some kind of financial aid.
    I theoretically made too much money last year, so couldn't get anything for 2010. Are there Almost Old Folks scholarships?

Stargazer, there is one really big benefit to going back as an older student; unlike when I went the first time, I am now used to doing things that I don't particularly want to do, that are really hard for me, to get where I want to be. So, I have no intention of letting any of these classes whup me, even though it means I'm having to study like crazy. It's paying off, too; I am having to take some makeup Algebra and was worried to death about it, but am doing fine even though I never had any Algebra, ever, even in High School (Liberal Arts majors back the took one math, and it was sort of a 'special class that only artists, musicians, and football players took for the most part)

Anyway, continued good luck to everyone!

Star, by the way, I know you have posted, but i forgot--what was your major?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread