+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: Starting College or Going Back

can you raise a hand in class and address his behavior? Maybe if the prof sees that it's bothering the class, he'll do something. And maybe he's waiting to see if the class is going to say something-is it a psych course?

MRD

Well apparantly this guy is WELL known around campus and people that have had him in classes before have stories. So this behavior is the norm for him. The teacher won't address it, and this is supposition on my part, because he's handicapped and the prof is afraid that the student will scream discrimmination if he says anything.

After 3 weeks, I think there may be something to that. He's extremely annoying and seems to use his handicap as a weapon. But the students are starting to shut him down. One said today:

"__________, WHAT IN THE HELL does that have to do with Vietnam? Wait, don't answer that, because I don't want to hear it."

I thought the rest of us were going to fall OUT of our seats.

It shut him up for about 15 min., then he was back at it again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, there was a student in my Archaeology class last semester like that. One day we were watching a video and he talked nonstop through the first 15 minutes. Mind you, this was a video we were supposed to be taking notes on and having a quiz on. Anyway, the girl in front of me finally turned over to him and said, "Could you please shut up so we can hear the video? We're all paying to be here to listen to the professor and you're wasting our money because you can't keep your mouth shut." I immediately wished that I had been the one to do it, but I'm just not that gutsy. He'd bothered me so much I'd moved to the other side of the room before that incident. Some people just don't get it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

This is going to sound extremely insensitive. But I think he uses his handicap because he knows people are going to be more forgiving. But he's just annoying, handicap aside. AGain, insensitive here. He has a speech impediment AND he stutters, in addition to his other physical handicap. So it takes him twice as long as anyone else to say what he wants to say, yet he wants to say a lot. He does not contribute to subject matter, he rambles on about Stalin and the cold war, etc.

I want to say that about we're paying to listen to the professor not you to him.

This is the 2nd person I've met at school that uses their handicap. I have never encountered anyone handicapped before that used it to take advantage of situations. Most of the people I know that are disabled, you'd never know it because they don't whine about it, or use it to get by on everyone else. Maybe I'm naive.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-27-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

MRD, does your school have an office that is a liaison for students with disabilities? My sister teaches college and has had to address problems with disabled students who tended to--though in her cases, unintentionally--alienate the rest of the class. (In her instances, the students were simply unaware, due to their conditions, that they were not acting appropriately.) The disability office (or whatever it's officially called) was able to help her address the problems and talked confidentially with the students to great success. Perhaps there is a resource like that at your university that you could express concern about the student's disruptive behavior?

MRD

Phonegrrl, great idea. This guy is well known. In a class that he is not in, one of the other students from that class is in it and that student was talking (this was before class started) about how disruptive he is and there were 4 people that chimed in with: "Is that _________?" And they all had their own stories as well.
    And apparantly other professors have told him to be quiet. I don't know why this one won't.

I hate that it's a problem. I really try to be fair and in his case, I know he can't help his handicap. But he can help being disruptive. He also now has started STARING at some of us. That is also very unnerving. I thought it was just me, until one of the other women in class said that his staring was creeping her out.

I think I will go to the student affairs offices and see what I can find out. I would assume that that is where the disabilities office might be as that is where I go for "non-traditional" student stuff.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

mrd I'm wondering if the student you describe isn't a little bit Asberger-y? Certainly sounds it. I think it is a great idea to find the local Disabled Student Services office (you could check your campus phonebook for the location--legally every school should have something on that line) and talk to them about it. Among other things they probably have a pamphlet you could drop anonymously in your prof's mailbox! With a note that says YOU need this for HIS 362!!! At my campus we get email all the time these days on "how to handle disruptive students"...I think they are more worried about a nutcase bringing a gun to class, but our main problem is students like the one you describe. Since the ADA and advances in psychoactive meds a lot more students with mental issues are coming to college---good on the one hand, not so good on the other. If they go off their meds or the meds stop working, or, as maybe in this case, if there are no useful meds... hard on everyone.

MRD

When he starts talking, he looks around the room and grins this evil grin at everyone, so I have a feeling that he knows EXACTLY what he is doing and that he's daring anyone to say anything. I found the disabilities office and plan to go by there on Tues.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Good for you! I would suggest a mass walk out, but thats not fair for those of you who have paid good $ for the education!

MRD

OK, the students with disabilities office made me feel like the biggest jerk on the face of the planet. I went in and told them that there is a disruptive student in one of my classes and the professor won't address it. They asked me: "what do you want US to do about it?" I said that I felt his disability was part of the disruptive behavior and they told me that he has the same rights as I do to be in class. I then said, but I also paid as much as he did and he's keeping me from learning. They told me sorry, they won't (not can't, WON'T) help.
    So then the jerk (I could so call him something else right now) interuptted me in class today. The professor asked a question, I RAISED MY HAND and he called on me. While I was speaking, the other student, just started talking right over top of me. The prof did not say a word. I was already not happy and I looked over and said: "__________ shut up! I had the floor not you. YOu can wait you damn turn." He gave me a really nasty look, but he shut up and let me finish and before the professor could say anything else, he was off and running. After class I had planned to talk to the professor, but some of the other students crowded around me to tell me thank you and I couldn't get to him. But I intend to say something to him on Tues. I'm sick of it. And I'm sick of the prof not doing anything.
    In another class today the ROTC students were acting up and the female prof whacked a sheaf of papers on the desk of one of them, told them all to either shut up or do pushups, that her classroom wasn't a democracy, it was a dictatorship and they'd better hope she was a benevolant dictator.
    So if she can do that, then why can't the retired Army Lt. Col, with a Phd in history do that to the jerk in my other class?

Sorry, I had to vent. I am so over this situation that it's driving me insane.

+ Reply to Thread