+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

I spent entirely too much time this afternoon trying to figure out why one of my online classes had me so confused. In the assignments section I kept coming across things like this: "page 16 - Abdelhak", and "Chapter 1 - Abdelhak". I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck an Abdelhak could possibly be. Then I finally figured out that Abdelhak is the author of the second book that is required for the course. The one that I didn't get. I went to the book store, gave them my class schedule, they gave me the books I need. Or so I thought. So, after a frantic search through the house, I located my receipt and I'll have to go back tomorrow and get the book I need. Problem is, the bookstore is located in the building that is the farthest from my classes, and it's darn cold out there. Oh well, I guess things could be worse.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

Star, I can't help but laugh at the thought of the "kitchen lab".

My con law book weighs 3 pounds. I really hope I don't have to tote that thing AND all 8 of my other books to class everyday.
    And yes, I weighed the con law book. It was so huge that I couldn't believe it. Even the prof made comments about how big it is and apologized.
    I think I paid for it by the pound too.

Well I think I'm really going to like my classes.
    There are quite a few people in them that have been in other classes and I like that.

Have one of those show off know it alls in one class. I swear if the prof doesn't shut him up and shut him down I may end up either slapping him or run screaming from the classroom. ONE class and he talked more than the prof. I wanted to ask that if he knew so darn much then WHY was he taking the class.

Other than that, and that there will be a LOT of work this semester, I think I will enjoy it. ONLY 4 papers this time around. BUT have WAY more tests. So this semester will be read, read, read, test, test, test. Still better than 19 papers last semester.

And we will be writing case briefs in the con law class. Am I a nerd if I think that actually sounds like fun?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3795251;
    My con law book weighs 3 pounds. I really hope I don't have to tote that thing AND all 8 of my other books to class everyday.
    And yes, I weighed the con law book. It was so huge that I couldn't believe it. Even the prof made comments about how big it is and apologized.
    I think I paid for it by the pound too.
    When I took con law, my book was huge too. Who is the author. Ours was a giant book with a brown cover. I'm wondering if you are using the same one. Con law I & II were some of my favorite classes that I have taken so far. Part of it was due to having an awesome professor, but I also really enjoyed the subject material. I have since gone on to download the Constitution app to my iPhone.

And we will be writing case briefs in the con law class. Am I a nerd if I think that actually sounds like fun?
    Yes! This is coming from someone who actually briefed every case for my first two years of law school though.

MRD

Epstein and Walker.
    This book is JUST Civil Rights and Liberties. Apparantly there are others in the Series.

I used to think about going to law school and wanting to be a lawyer. That's one of the reasons I chose this class. It actually counts as a poly sci credit for me. I'll probably change my mind after my first brief.

Right now I'm boring myself to tears reading the first chapter on "understanding the Supreme Court". And I like this kind of stuff. But the book is so dry that sand is falling out of it.

Oh, my book had Constitutional Law on the cover. The print inside was tiny as well, but our professor never covered the notes or problems after the cases, so the reading went fast.

Yeah, law school has been an experience. I'm glad I went back and did it. I'm having fun at my externship and it's been a really good change for me. I'm excited because I've written about 3 briefs for my attorney and the case I've been working on is getting ready to go to court in about two weeks. I get to see if some of my work actually helps.

MRD

Oh yeah, the print is tiny.
    The entire name is:
    Constitutional Law for a Changing America: Rights, Liberties and Justice

Because this is more geared to poly sci, he wants us to read the notes, etc. that go with the cases. And he told us to skim and just pick out the "nuggets". OK, I've never been able to do that very well. I dont' skim read well and how do I know which nuggets to pick out?
    This may also be the book that renders me blind. Even with my glasses, the print is so small it's hard to read.

Your externshp sounds like it's going well.

FORT Newbie

Went back to school this year. You'd think after several years of time, I'd be able to find my niche and be able to declare a major. But, I'm in a bit of a quarter life crisis right now. I started this year with my eye on Business...now it's more like journalism. Ugh. I need to just take a vote!
    Last edited by hepcat; 01-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Relax....unless you need to declare 5 minutes ago! See where your studies lead you!

Quote Originally Posted by KariJay;3804247;
    Went back to school this year. You'd think after several years of time, I'd be able to find my niche and be able to declare a major. But, I'm in a bit of a quarter life crisis right now. I started this year with my eye on Business...now it's more like journalism. Ugh. I need to just take a vote!
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm 50 years old and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! I am narrowing down what I DON'T want to do, though!!

Good luck with school! And welcome to FORT!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by KariJay;3804247;
    Have a friend that was a business major and then discovered he was doing better in his English classes then in his business classes. He took a journalism class and that was ALL it took. He's been a journalist for over 20 years now.

That's one of the reasons that college offers all those different general education requirements so you get a little taste of everything and can see what interests you.

I'm really going to have to do violence on this one classmate. The entire class is about ready to pick him up and throw him out in the hall. The prof isn't doing anything and it's getting really, really annoying. No one sits near him now. We are all crowded on one side of the classroom and he sits on the other side by himself. You'd think he'd notice, but he's too busy talking and showing off.

+ Reply to Thread