+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

MRD

Re: Starting College or Going Back

My books arrived today. This is a pitifully small stack of books considering how big a chunk of change they cost.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3790469;
    My books arrived today. This is a pitifully small stack of books considering how big a chunk of change they cost.

At least I have a huge stack of books. I'm wondering how I'm going to manage carrying them all on certain days.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Rolling bookbag, Little Bit! I've definitely got to get one; I have one class that's a good 1/4 mile from the other, up a hill and some steps, and 10 minutes to make the walk. I'm meaning to use walking at school to get me in shape, but lugging all my stuff is a little much right now.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3791205;
    Rolling bookbag, Little Bit! I've definitely got to get one; I have one class that's a good 1/4 mile from the other, up a hill and some steps, and 10 minutes to make the walk. I'm meaning to use walking at school to get me in shape, but lugging all my stuff is a little much right now.
    What a good idea, and I actually have one. Now, why didn't I think of that last semester?!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Do you need to take your textbooks to all your classes? I remember I used to carry a clipboard to take notes, and then would later put them in the appropriate binders. Also, both my girls who go to university get most of their notes on line, and just take laptops to class (boy, things have changed ). I really have no idea, and am curious.

For me it has depended on the teacher. Two semesters back, I needed my book every day. Last semester I never needed them in class at all.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3791543;
    Do you need to take your textbooks to all your classes? I remember I used to carry a clipboard to take notes, and then would later put them in the appropriate binders. Also, both my girls who go to university get most of their notes on line, and just take laptops to class (boy, things have changed ). I really have no idea, and am curious.
    I graduated from school in 2005, and I didn't usually need to bring many of my books to class, especially the biggest ones. I also found that I retained more information by writing it down (pencil and paper writing, unfortunately, because I type quickly), and rather than using lined notebook paper, I found that taking notes on plain white paper worked best for me, so I just had folders for every class, and carried around extra paper from a ream of printer paper, and did it that way. Mechanical pencils wrote more cleanly, at least for me, so I swore by those too.

For anyone taking a lot of math/science classes, especially where you might have to draw things and differentiate them, I found that it was really helpful to carry colored pencils around as well. I can't remember who makes them, but I found mechanical colored pencils in six colors, with refillable lead available for purchase, and for drawing multiple lines on the same graph, or for differentiating steps, or for a variety of different things, they were a great thing to have on hand. Made certain things a lot easier to pick out in my notes! I imagine these would work well for science diagrams, etc, as well.

Taking tons of notes (by hand) has always help me retain much more than I would otherwise, and I'm finding that even with a very hectic first week taking good notes let me complete all my homework without having to go back to the book much at all. I am taking all my books to class, either way; even though it's been a million years, I just don't feel right without having the book there to glance at when points are being discussed.
    I also carry a plastic pouch with notebook, pen, and jump drive for each class. I know that I'm so prone to becoming disorganized and having items from class R mixed in the Class Z notes that I'm trying to never let my class materials migrate into a common mess.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3791748;
    Taking tons of notes (by hand) has always help me retain much more than I would otherwise, .
    That's always been the case for me too. AND I don't share much either. I will share if someone has been out sick. But I do NOT give them my notes. I offer to go with them to the library so they can make copies. (learned the hard way when they were not returned)

I've had people ask to use my notes who sit in the class that day and text on their phones. No, sorry, you were in the SAME class I was and instead of paying attention and taking notes, you were playing and you want to use MY notes? Um, no, don't think so.

I take my books on the first day. Depending on the instructor, whether I take my books after that.

Last fall, I had 2 instructors that never referred to the book AT ALL after the first day. I found after the first exam in one class, that everything came from his lecture notes. I never even bothered to read the book after that. Which I hated as I paid for it. But I didn't have time as I had such a workload last semester. I do like reading the books.

I carry a messenger bag and a 5 subject spiral notebook for notes.

My husband needed all his books last semester and got a rolling tote.
    All my classes seem to be upstairs and they restrict elevator usage in some of the buildings to people who have a doctor's note. So I just sling mine over my shoulder.

Queenb, I have a lot of walking and stairs (our school is on a hill, so you have to do a lot of stairs outside as well to get to the other part of the campus) and know that I am fitter than I was a year ago at this time for doing all that walking and stair climbing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3791748;
    I am taking all my books to class, either way; even though it's been a million years, I just don't feel right without having the book there to glance at when points are being discussed.
    I would continue doing so, Queenb. I had a history professor that NEVER used a book in class. Then one day he told us that we were having a pop quiz (very normal for his class) and that it could be open book if we had our books with us. I always have my book with me, but for some reason, I didn't that day. That was the last time I'll ever make that mistake. I passed the quiz, but I learned to bring my books with me just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Its official. I have to take my chemistry class online. More kitchen labs for me. Oh well. This is the last semester here and then I move on. SO I just have to pass.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread