+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Lil Bit, if it makes you feel any better, it's that far for me too...one way. But it's the only school around that offers Vet tech, so I'm putting on my driving shoes! I did manage to get it down to 4 days a week, and could have made it 3 days with all 2 hour classes if I had not had to register late. Next time I'll aim for the 3 day a week schedule.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

I'm feeling much poorer today. Just bought all my books for next semester. Even though I got them through Amazon at cheaper prices than the school bookstore, it was still an awful lot of moola to shell out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My classes started today, but 2 of them are online, and the only one I have to physically go to is only a few miles from here (remote at a high school).
    The online is English Composition and Chemisty.
    we kept wondering Chemistry OnLine? huh? now I know. Not on the book list, which was pretty darn expensive itself, but a weeks notice that we had to order a labpak - another $200 kit with all the experiments. I get to do them in my kitchen. what fun. Hubby is not happy at all. Too bad. He can help me

so, getting back into it. Just have to make sure I keep my focus on it.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Sounds like fun to me. Chemistry experiments in your kitchen.

I wish my classes were closer. Last semester I only had to drive 6 miles round trip. This semester it's 65 miles round trip, Mon through Thurs. I got my books today too, MRD. I'm very thankful for my financial aid, that's for sure.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3783214;
    My classes started today, but 2 of them are online, and the only one I have to physically go to is only a few miles from here (remote at a high school).
    The online is English Composition and Chemisty.
    we kept wondering Chemistry OnLine? huh? now I know. Not on the book list, which was pretty darn expensive itself, but a weeks notice that we had to order a labpak - another $200 kit with all the experiments. I get to do them in my kitchen. what fun. Hubby is not happy at all. Too bad. He can help me

so, getting back into it. Just have to make sure I keep my focus on it.

I had to do that for my advanced biology class a few semesters ago. It was crazy! I would be sitting in there with my goggles and gloves on, pouring things into beakers and test tubes while my kids crowded around and my husband called me his "mad scientist". My whole family thought it was fascinating to watch me bungle my way through all the experiments we had to do. Not that I learned my lesson. I'll probably be taking a chemistry class online this semester. I have some scheduling issues that I have to resolve, so I signed up for a chemistry class online and a chemistry class on campus. Whatever way my schedule shakes out will determine which one I drop at the end of this month. Hopefully I get it figured out before I have to order my labpac.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

I still have one science class to take and I'm leaning towards chemistry. I wish they offered it online because then I could play mad scientist in my kitchen. Sounds like fun Schmoo and Stargazer. I'm taking an online computer class and the software package is $169 and I have most of that software already, but to just get the few programs that I need would be even more expensive to buy them individually, so I will buy the bundle.

I LOVE Amazon. Ordered my books yesterday. Got an email last night they will be delivered on Thur. I joined Amazon prime months ago, so have saved so much money on shipping. With Amazon prime I get my books with 2 day shipping.

Could NOT find the constitutional law book. It's a 2008 or 9 edition. Amazon said it would take 1-2 MONTHS to get it in stock. School bookstore is already out. I looked and looked for it. I finally found it and ended up paying $10 MORE than the school bookstore was selling it for. But I saved so much on my other books that I guess it works out. But it was a bugger to find it. Yardgnome, any idea why law books are so difficult to find?
    I am now feeling a bit nervous about this class. It's on Civil rights and liberties and is billed as a political science class. Until I saw the book, I was ok. I've had the prof and love him. I should be thankful that this is an actual college textbook because I found out that one of my texts last semester was a highschool text and a class I was thinking about taking this time, I looked up the text and it's a high school text book. Sorry, but that really irks me. This is college, not HS. I'm sure that there are plenty of college level textbooks on history out there.
    From what I've seen since I've been back in college, I am convinced that it has been dumbed down just like grade school has and the HS textbooks prove it.
    Which reminds me, I was going to write to the college president and complain about that.

Good luck Schmoo and everyone. Here's to a semester where everything works out well for everyone, where we have profs with fair grading practices, where knowledge flows into us and where every assignment is completed with out struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3784596;
    Yardgnome, any idea why law books are so difficult to find?
    Hmm, I don't know. I'm lazy and buy mine at the bookstore.

I started my externship yesterday. It was great, my attorney had me jump right into the work. I'm writing a motion for summary judgment on a case I've been helping him with and he gave me my own client. He has a couple that is having some wetlands issues with the local state agency and I get to do all the work with them under his supervision. I'm pretty excited. I'm also supposed to take a class in conjunction with my externship, but the prof teaching it has eliminated 7 of the classes, cut out the journaling, decided the last class should meet at the bar, and shortened the class to an hour. I'm so stoked!

I can't believe this is my last semester. It's so weird not having any classes and going to work again. 14 weeks to go and I'll officially be done with law school. Good luck to everyone else starting up their semesters.

MRD

Sounds great Yardgnome. Keep us posted how the work and the case goes.

Even the school bookstore doesn't have this book. They were out of the books for every class I have except one class.

If not a textbook, they may not have it. But my daughter told me about chegg.com - I guess they 'rent' textbooks just for the quarter/semester you need them.

Just passing it on.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

MRD

Chegg is great. But an awful lot of my books I want to keep. Especially the history ones and the constitutional law one.

The constitutional law book is a textbook. Since so many people do buy from other sources now, the school bookstore doesn't order as many books as they used too. So they tend to run out.

Bought a non text book that I needed for a class at Amazon for $10 and then saw it at the used bookstore the next day for $3. Man!

+ Reply to Thread