+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

I had to have my blood tested last year to figure out what shots I would need for my Peru trip. Subsequently, I got my hands on my immunization records from my pediatrician, but I was ultimately glad I got the test, since I found out that the hepatitis B vaccine I got when I was 13 didn't actually work.

MRD

I'm not going to have to clep. They accepted almost all my transfer credits. 30 hours worth, including my 27 year old math and science ones. I do have to take Statistics and a science with a lab, but ALL my english and math and other science was accepted! They only class they didn't accept was a science class I had a "D" in.

I can get the public speaking waiver. Both the humanities and behaviorial science classes I have to take can be classes that I wanted and won't count as my history or electives, so I can take African American Studies and Culture and Comparitive religion and satisfy those requirements. Statistics is required for history. So really only the one science and 2 freaking semesters of German are the only classes I have to take that aren't really related in anyway to my major.

And I am in the "design your own major" department and my advisor is so cool, so I can pretty much take what I want and he is fine with it. I am actually going to have a Bach. of Arts of Interdisciplanary studies: American Studies diploma when I graduate.

So he was reccomending classes and they were ones I had already checked in the catalog as wanting to take. So I'll have about 40 hours of American history, and the rest in American Political science, American military history and studies, women's studies (most of the "studies" classes are history related), African American Studies and some American lit and Southern lit classes.

I'm so excited as most of these classes sound really interesting.

However, this semester I'm taking Statistics, American Government, Southern Politics and beginning German as pretty much that was all that was left open. But I'm ok with them all.

And I hit the financial aid jackpot I think. I'll know for sure on Mon., but my FA advisor pretty much said that I would have enough for tuition, books and possibly an "overage" that I could use to buy a laptop which I want to use for school.

I managed to go to orientation, meet my advisor, register for classes, open my account with the cashier, meet with admissions to correct some paperwork, meet with financial aid, get my student ID made and my parking decal and my blood test done all in the same day. And the nurse that took my blood is actually a friend that I lost touch with about a year ago, so it was great to reconnect with her and we made plans to have lunch together once school starts.

Yay! I'm so happy. (and absolutely petrified). Only saw 2 other "non-traditional" students my age today. Maybe next week will be different.

Think my government profs will give me credit for watching Obama's inauguration instead of going to class that day?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3271746;
    . . . Think my government profs will give me credit for watching Obama's inauguration instead of going to class that day?
    Depending on what time your government class(es) is (are), the professor(s) may have made arrangements to have something set up to watch the inauguration as part of the lesson plan. (That's what I'll be doing!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD, that's fantastic news! It sounds like you're well on your way. I'm so happy for you that you got all of that stuff squared away. I know you'll have fun.

I wish my college would accept prior work experience for my public speaking credit. I've done everything from tour guide stuff to running workshops and I still have to take a public speaking course this semester. That's okay, though. At least I know I won't be too nervous nowadays. One good thing about getting older is that you care less and less what others think of you.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3271919;
    MRD, that's fantastic news! It sounds like you're well on your way. I'm so happy for you that you got all of that stuff squared away. I know you'll have fun.

I wish my college would accept prior work experience for my public speaking credit. I've done everything from tour guide stuff to running workshops and I still have to take a public speaking course this semester. That's okay, though. At least I know I won't be too nervous nowadays. One good thing about getting older is that you care less and less what others think of you.
    That is the god's honest truth.

Thanks Star. I'm on cloud nine tonight. I'm sure once classes start, I'll be pulled back to earth and be wondering "why am I doing this?"

Good luck with the class. I thought seriously about just taking it thinking it would probably just strenghten my skills. But my boss and the director of the museum both said "I think it's a waste of your time that can be better spent elsewhere." Both of them have Ph.d's, so maybe they know what they're talking about. I was told today that with the letter from my boss and the fact that I can document almost all my prior public speaking, I can probably get the waiver. Is there any way you can get documentation of your prior experience? If not, then just look at it as a way to better hone your skills.

At the worst, I was told I might have to give a speech to the head of that department in order to be waived from the class.

My advisor (who also happens to be chair of the BAIS department which is going to really be a benefit for me because I really only have to deal with him about my degree) told me that all the basic public speaking class teaches is how to organize your subject, how to overcome fear of speaking in public and a few other things that he said I probably didn't need and that if I still had to take a public speaking class that maybe the advanced class would work better for me and I would just need permission from that chair to take it. So worst case, I have to give a speech to the chair or I have to take the advanced course. He was kind of leaning on me to just take it and I mentioned that I have 3 paid speaking engagements booked the first week of Feb. (and invited him to one of them) and that 1 was through the museum and 2 were freelance engagements I got on my own, he changed his mind. I guess he figured if people are booking and paying me to come to their group to speak, I must not be horrible.

I am so excited because I honestly thought this was going to be harder (of course I haven't actually started classes yet) and I thought most of my classes wouldn't transfer and I thought I would have to retake a bunch of stuff. I couldn't believe how laid back my advisor was and how lenient he seems to be. But because I'm more or less designing my own degree, I'm not being held to a rigourous course of study that I would be in a regular degree program like the history one so there is a lot of room to wiggle.

Ellen, I'm planning on asking this Tues., when I get to class the first day if they are going to have a way for us to watch it there and if not, could we get credit for it if we didn't go to class, but watched it at home or in the student union or something. I plan on watching it one way or the other!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3271985;
    . . . Ellen, I'm planning on asking this Tues., when I get to class the first day if they are going to have a way for us to watch it there and if not, could we get credit for it if we didn't go to class, but watched it at home or in the student union or something. I plan on watching it one way or the other!
    Good idea! I'd be really surprised -- shocked actually -- if it weren't part of the lesson plan. But if not, offering to do a written (or oral presentation to the class) summary, analysis, or something along those lines would sweeten the deal.

For my lesson on that day, if my client/student for that week is interested in current events and politics (most of mine are), instead of our usual Tuesday at Balboa Park, my lesson plan is to introduce relevant vocabulary, watch the inauguration, have a follow-up discussion, and assign homework in the form of summary/discussion using the relevant vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Congratulations MRD!

I'm so excited for you. I know you've been looking forward to this for a long time and it sounds as though everything is going perfectly so far.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Good luck with school MRD!!! I kind of envy you, kinda don't.....I used to have nightmares, er, "disturbing dreams" that I was still in either high school or college and I had absolutely no idea what was going on or I was being asked to explain why I didn't have my homework/assignment/paper, whatever. I would always wake up shaking like the proverbial leaf!!!!

I think that going back in your forties is neat, who gives a fig what the "traditional" students think? When I was getting my master's, it seems there were two distinct categories of younger students: Those that totally and completely ignored you, looked through you or at you as if you were some ancient piece of crap not worth their time OR those that were friendly and eager to talk and get to know an older student and fascinated with your life. I'll bet with your friendliness and sense of humor you will make tons of new friends. Have a GREAT time!!!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

MRD

Thanks Miss Elizabeth. I am a bundle of nerves this morning. Hardly slept last night.
    I am excited and scared. I'm scared of the dumbest stuff. Not scared of the professors or the classes or the work. I'm scared of the students, finding parking and finding my classes and where I'm going to eat lunch. Dumb huh? I don't do well in crowds. Go figure. I can get up in front of hundreds of people and give a speech, but put me in a new place that is crowded (especially with kids I'm old enough to be their mother. I don't do well with people that age) and I tend to get really nervous.

I have those dreams too. I hate them. But I think that I have them when i have something coming up that I'm anxious about or not prepared for and it comes out as being back in High school and not being prepared for a test or something. I actually haven't had one in a long, long time ,but I used to get them quite a bit.

I just hope I can make it through the day on the little sleep I got last night.

MRD,

If your classes haven't started yet, you might want to go to campus and just spend an hour or two finding your way around and making yourself comfortable with your environment. That's what I did. I was nervous about all of that crazy stuff, too, so I found all of my classes and figured out where to park on the day before my classes actually started. I figured that the last thing I needed was to feel clueless my first day of school. I felt a lot more confident and less jittery. I also spent breaks between classes searching out the perfect study spot. I finally found a study room that is really quiet and has a pleasant atmosphere. It makes my study time on campus a lot less stressful than trying to study in the student center, which is always loud and crazy. Good luck!

As for me, I'm going to go buy books today. Yuck. That has to be my most hated part aside from dealing with financial aid. They are just a rip-off and everyone knows it. When you pay hundreds of dollars for a book, its hard to feel like you're not being screwed.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread