+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well in their school work. I've struggled all semester long because I'm carrying a large course load. I've felt like I"m always behind in all of my work, but somehow I've managed to have straight A's so far. I still have finals to contend with and several papers left to write, but I at least feel like I'm headed in the right direction. I'm hoping I can keep my head above water long enough to get through to the end of the semester. I'd love to be able to get straight A's.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3416928;
    I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well in their school work. I've struggled all semester long because I'm carrying a large course load. I've felt like I"m always behind in all of my work, but somehow I've managed to have straight A's so far. I still have finals to contend with and several papers left to write, but I at least feel like I'm headed in the right direction. I'm hoping I can keep my head above water long enough to get through to the end of the semester. I'd love to be able to get straight A's.
    Star that's an incredible accomplishment with a full load of course work and a family. You should be proud. Just keep treading water and you'll get those A's

Now that I see light at the end of the tunnel, I feel so differently than I did when I was behind, confused, overloaded, etc. It's easy to forget how often I felt like I would never get it all done now that I'm in the home stretch.

Of course, now that my first semester is almost over and I feel really good about it, I have realized that I have MANY more semesters and I sink a bit. But at least I know I'm capable now. I proved a lot to myself and that is a good thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

My LAST German 1 class was today. The final is one week from this Thur. I wanted to dance out of that room today.

We we finally got the boy's financal aid figured out and enrolled at KU. He only has to audition for the music dept and then he is officially ready to start come August. When we called to schedule his audition they already knew who he was! How cool is that? He is going to major in music education.

We were able to limit his student loans to 2,000 for next year by having him live at home. Colin is not happy about it but he will thank us when it comes time to repay the loans. The total cost for tuition, books, and fees totalled about 7,000 for next year. I'm hoping Obama will make some positiive changes.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3420241;
    My LAST German 1 class was today. The final is one week from this Thur. I wanted to dance out of that room today.
    I hope it was a Schuhplattler!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3420282;
    We we finally got the boy's financal aid figured out and enrolled at KU. He only has to audition for the music dept and then he is officially ready to start come August. When we called to schedule his audition they already knew who he was! How cool is that? He is going to major in music education.

We were able to limit his student loans to 2,000 for next year by having him live at home. Colin is not happy about it but he will thank us when it comes time to repay the loans. The total cost for tuition, books, and fees totalled about 7,000 for next year. I'm hoping Obama will make some positiive changes.
    Livin, that's great that he's all in and they know who he is already.

Wow, 7000 for the year for books, tuition and fees is quite inexpensive these days. I'm going to a state school and it's almost twice that for the year for me. I'm still griping that I have to pay $12 to get a new parking decal EVERY SINGLE SEMESTER!!!! However, I hope Obama makes some changes too.

Even living at home, he will appreciate it. And so will you. Freshman year is the hardest I think because of all the different adjustments and by living at home, you let him adjust more slowly and hopefully avoid some of the issues that those adjustments can bring on.

That is interesting MRD. This is a state school also, but a parking permit is $200. Maybe they make up the price difference in other ways? He really wanted the dorm life but that would've tacked on another 8 thousand, plus a lot of Clairol hair color for Mom's gray hairs. Kind of joking about that.

His ulterior motive in being in the marching band is to go with the basketball team to the NCAA finals next year.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

There is no studying that ever takes place in the dorms. Let him get the first year under his belt, learn the ways of college studying before the dorm is tackled.
    My problem isn't so much the $12 for the parking fee, is that I have to go renew the damn thing EVERY semester. I want one decal for the whole year.

MRD

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just got a 100 on my American Government paper. A+ She didn't even mark anything off. I am THRILLED.

I did the changes in the role of Commander in Chief of the US President from the Constitution through today. I focused primarily on Lincoln, FDR, Johnson and George W. Bush. I did mention a few other's, but the focus was on those 4. I can't believe I got a 100 out of 100 as I never had her look over my drafts and the others in class that did have her look over their drafts all got really harsh comments.

I love being able to view grades online as well, because I didn't have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3421304;
    Wow, 7000 for the year for books, tuition and fees is quite inexpensive these days. I'm going to a state school and it's almost twice that for the year for me. I'm still griping that I have to pay $12 to get a new parking decal EVERY SINGLE SEMESTER!!!! However, I hope Obama makes some changes too.
    You aren't kidding! Books used to run me $300-$500 a semester by themselves! (And it always seemed like the smallest books were the priciest. I had a textbook for my analysis class that looked like you'd pulled it from a late-elementary school library shelf... and it cost, no lie, $175. It's been five years and I still haven't forgotten!)

I went to a small liberal arts college, so it pretty much goes without saying that tuition was expensive, but my sister's senior year at a similarly priced private university (~$50k) makes my freshman year (~$32k) seem like a bargain... we're four years apart.

And MRD, congratulations on your paper! Sounds like you're cleaning up in that class!

+ Reply to Thread