+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

I know a bunch of college graduates who are dumber than dumb. I support a dozen or so people with philosophy/psychology/journalism degrees and they all work in customer service doing data entry and answering phones. I think now, more than ever, experience is better than having a college degree. I went for two semesters and dropped out. At first I thought I really wanted a degree but in retrospect, I just wanted the college experience. I'll never go back. I've gotten ahead in my field by working hard, taking the initiative, and never thinking that I can't accomplish a task. My peers have masters degrees in computer science. And I know that I am only one of many with this kind of story.

So I'm going to disagree with you about how much better off the country would be, MRD. We'd just have fewer youngsters entering the work force
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Researchers examined national crime rates between 1979 and 1997 and found much of the increase in crime during that period can be explained by falling wages and rising unemployment among men without college educations.
    Higher Crime Rate Linked To Low Wages And Unemployment, Study Finds

I also stated earlier that i thought it would be a good idea to provide college educations to those that wanted it (so obviously, not everyone will want to go to college.) But by providing the funds to those who WISH to go would better this country, make us more productive, competitive in the world and reduce the number of those in jail.

You all can disagree, that's fine with me. YOu can give examples, I can give the same ones. I know some really smart people without degrees too and some really dumb ones with them.

I'm frustrated as I was given erroneous information back in Jan. that impacted the financial aid I need for the summer semester. I'm not the only one. There are many of us that would like to be in college and because of money can't be. THAT is the real crime in this country, denying access to a colllege degree to those that really want it. Had I known back in Jan., I could have worked it out to continue classes in May. Now because of having to pay the IRS, the state and tag all the cars and pay car tax this month, I do not have the funds available to take the 9 credit hours I would have gotten between May and July. I'm very upset and frustrated. It's going to set back my graduation by a semester as well.

I misspoke about the country being full of morons, but I do think that higher education should be available to those that wish to get it without having to go into huge debt for them. I do think our education standards have fallen in this country as well in public education in the grade schools through high school.
    When the GI Bill was introduced after World War 2, we had the highest educated work force in the world in the 1950's and 1960''s. We also experienced tremendous growth in the middle class during that time, we experience nationwide prosperity and since the 1960's, the number of college attendees has been dropping (percentage wise according to the population). We no longer lead the world in education and other areas where college degrees do make a difference.

I'm done now. Forget I even posted. Again, I was upset and frustrated because of MY financial aid. I won't trouble you with my problems again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Aww, but your problems are always so interesting to read about, mrd. Please don't keep them to yourself.

I'm a college dropout, and I wish I could make myself go back because I could potentially make a lot more money. But the thought of taking classes that don't interest me at all always discourages me. If I could just take classes about history, psychology, and pop culture I'd be all set.

And I agree that a college education doesn't mean you're a genius, but it does usually expose people to different ideas and opinions which is never a bad thing.

Well, I agree that a college education is no key to success. Some people are just smart and driven and hard-working, and they do very well in life whether their path includes college or not.
    That being said, as someone who has been thinking of going back to school but has yet to muster the courage/commitment/sacrifice necessary, I really admire all of you who are in the process of completing your degree or going back for something new or more.
    MRD, hope this doesn't sound too Pollyanna-ish, but maybe you can think of all the frustrations you face and overcome as part of the "weeding out" process... kind of like - if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger - and nothing worth anything is ever easy - yadda, yadda... ?
    remember to play

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I'm done now. Forget I even posted. Again, I was upset and frustrated because of MY financial aid. I won't trouble you with my problems again.
    There's no need to feel like you can't continue to "trouble" us with your problems just because not everyone agreed with you. Discussion and debate are what this site is about.

If everybody had a college degree I wonder who we would get to fix our broken cars, unplug our clogged pipes, cut our hair, I could go on and on. There are so many skills that we depend on every day that are done by people who don't have college degrees and they are certainly not "morons". I'm glad you recognize that you misspoke on this, MRD.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 04-15-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3414325;
    Ashley, I completly agree. School is not for everyone and that does not make someone stupid or dumb for not attending. Even if school was a free option for every person, I'm sure that there are still many people who would not go. A degree may help you get some jobs, but there are also many other types of jobs that don't that don't require one and allow hardworking people to get far in life.

Back to the college discussion, I'm filling out my last FASFA ever! I only have one more year of school left, but only two more semesters of actually taking classes. I'm so excited to almost be done, I can finally see that the end is near.

That's great news, Yardgnome! I'm glad you're so close to the end of the line. I'm definitely jealous that you've filled out your last FAFSA. I wish I were done with that stuff.

I'm sure MRD was just frustrated and knows that college isn't for everyone. I did without a degree for years and considered myself successful in my chosen careers over that time. College certainly wasn't for me the first time around and I don't intend to push my children into it. Unless a person is ready/willing to go, its useless for them to even be there. For me, I needed this for my own personal fulfillment after flunking out the first time. Because I knew I could do so much better, it had always haunted me as a major failure in my life. With a little more wisdom, I know that it wasn't so much a failure as just a huge lack of focus and maturity. My main reasons for going back ended up being that I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, I wanted to show my children that its never too late, and I wanted a little more insurance in a increasingly tough job market. Still, I don't exactly regret the path I took. It certainly gave me some more real world knowledge and with my last job, it gave me some experiences that most people will never get to have. So I'm happy to be back in school, but I was happy without a degree as well.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3415361;
    That's great news, Yardgnome! I'm glad you're so close to the end of the line. I'm definitely jealous that you've filled out your last FAFSA. I wish I were done with that stuff.

I'm sure MRD was just frustrated and knows that college isn't for everyone. I did without a degree for years and considered myself successful in my chosen careers over that time. College certainly wasn't for me the first time around and I don't intend to push my children into it. Unless a person is ready/willing to go, its useless for them to even be there. For me, I needed this for my own personal fulfillment after flunking out the first time. Because I knew I could do so much better, it had always haunted me as a major failure in my life. With a little more wisdom, I know that it wasn't so much a failure as just a huge lack of focus and maturity. My main reasons for going back ended up being that I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, I wanted to show my children that its never too late, and I wanted a little more insurance in a increasingly tough job market. Still, I don't exactly regret the path I took. It certainly gave me some more real world knowledge and with my last job, it gave me some experiences that most people will never get to have. So I'm happy to be back in school, but I was happy without a degree as well.

Thanks Star. I couldn't agree with what you wrote more. That's exactly how I feel too.

Congrats Yardgnome on your final fafsa. I just did mine for the next school year so I sort of know how you feel, except that I have to apply at least 2 more times.

Even better than filling out your final FAFSA form is making your last student loan payment.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3415999;
    Even better than filling out your final FAFSA form is making your last student loan payment.
    I'm hoping to do that much sooner rather than later. I just need to get done with school, then I'm wiping that one out...and celebrating big time.

I just had my last class of the semester, I'm getting so burned out with school. Two exams next week then I'm off on a two week break. I can barely wait for it.

MRD

on the last class. Good luck and good studying for exams.

I have one more week of classes and then exams. None of which are comprehensive, so I don't think exam week will be that hard. Two weeks from tonight I will be celebrating completing my first semester back in college. You have all been wonderful support and inspiration. Thank you

+ Reply to Thread