+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Yay, Star!

I finished my finals yesterday and I now have a month off. I'm so looking forward to, I was getting really burned out this past semester so a nice long break is exactly what I need. I unfortunately have to wait about 8 weeks before I get my grades.

Thanks everyone! Like Yardgnome, I seriously need a break. I've not had to use my brain this much in several years. Its exhausting!

MRD, I really hope you get your financial aid. I know how stressful it can all be. I think you'll really enjoy going back if it works out. If not this semester, don't give up. As ClostRTwatcher pointed out, its never too late.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Enjoy your break Gnome. Don't worry about your grades, you'll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3252279;
    Enjoy your break Gnome. Don't worry about your grades, you'll do fine.
    Thanks. I wish my brain would think that. I have moments of relaxation and then moments of complete trauma thinking of my exams. It's your only grade for the semester, so a lot is riding on them.

Star, I'm looking forward to not using my brain to as much as I have been. I fully intend to have some vegging out days on the couch and not feeling guilty about it.

Great job Star and Gnomie! Here's to a great winter vacay!

I know how hard it is to go back to school as an adult. I did it a few years ago. While I walked in graduation 18 months ago, I still had a few courses to take. I thought I'd be able to do it the semester after graduation. Unfortunately, because I can't get any more student loans or financial aid, I still haven't been able to go back. It's over $1,000 for just 6 units and the bulk of that is due before I even register....and that's on the payment plan! I just don't have $600 sitting around, plus the money I'd lose from giving up my second job to have time for school. I'm going to have to keep saving in the hope of being able to go back in the fall. I so envy all those young kids who just go to college and don't even have to think about tuition or fees. They don't know how great they have it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

I go to orientation on Fri. and register for classes that start on Mon. I hope that there are some decent classes left by Fri. Because I'm a "new" student, I can't register until I have attended orientation. And financial aid is still up in the air, but the admissions person told me "not to worry about it, they will figure it out".

I have a fafsa PIN number and I can log on with my pin, but when I try to submit my application it tells me that there is "no match found". I have been on the phone several hours several days in the past few weeks trying to get this figured out and I can't, so the school told me today to just bring everything in with me on Fri. and they will "figure it out."

I hope so because I'm going to be REALLY upset if at the last possible minute (which is orientation on Fri.) they can't "figure" anything out.

I also need my immunization record. I'm 46 years old. I don't even KNOW where it is or if I ever had it. I have got to contact my old doctor in another state who retired 10 years ago to see if they have it. I'm sure the current doctor who took over the practice may have the records, but how much you want to bet they're in storage somewhere and it will take forever. I just found out this morning that I need it. (the school sent me all the info for the Spring semester the day they let out for Christmas break, so today has been the first day I could even talk to anyone about what I need and need to do.)

After all this, it's going to be a relief just to sit in a class and listen to the teacher.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Gosh, Crit and rosiedog, I hope you both are able to get your financial stuff squared away. The money part is so difficult to get straightened out. Just take heart. Once its all squared away, you're on rails and just have to sign paperwork from then on out.

I got some incredibly good news before winter break. Well, a series of good news. First, I got the grades I expected, which were three A's and a B. Then I found out that 25 of the credits I'd earned back in college ten years ago will transfer!!!! My sister said she didn't even know I attempted 25 credits. I was in school almost four years! She thought I spent my entire time partying. No, only most of it. So even though my grades sucked eggs at the time, I managed to get C's or above in enough classes to give me 25 credits. That means I'm over halfway to my Associates degree with only one semester behind me. After I get that, I'll be transferring to CSU to finish up my Bachelors. Its so exciting that I'll be finishing earlier than I expected.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

That's great news!

I hope I get some good news about my transfer credits too.

I "think" I have financial aid sort of straightened out. I will find out more on Fri. when I go to orientation, meet my advisor and then the Fin. aid officer.
    I'm just hoping that this late in registration that I can get some decent classes as I'm too old to take crap I don't want or need. That's not why I'm going back.

myrosie, that first FAFSA is a real pain but it does get easier. From here on out you will just "renew" it. Well, I don't want to make it sound that easy () because you still have to plug in tax information and such, but it's not near as much as the first time. And not only did I have to do mine, but I did my son's for him as well (since he had to answer stuff about our returns on his it was just easier if I did it).

Let me know how things go as you move through your studies. My son just graduated with his BA in History and he also took German as his foreign language. He's interested in archival work but we live in a small city so he's been looking into some of the bigger cities. He's also planning on taking the Foreign Service Exam. And he's thinking of getting his masters in Public History. It does seem like there are many ways to go with a history degree, which is a good thing. I settled on General Studies and would never recommend that to anyone . If I go back, it will probably be for my Master's in Early Childhood Education but right now I'm burned out on school.

I have to say though, I loved being a "non-traditional" student. I even did a study for my business English class assignment about "non-traditional" vs. "traditional." It just seemed like I enjoyed the material a lot more than I would have had I went when I first got out of highschool. I could relate a lot more to the material.

I hope you don't have to take your math again. Maybe you can test out of it. Usually there is an entrance exam to place you. Unfortunately I had to take two remedial maths before making it to Algebra but I got through it. I still don't care for math but I'm not afraid of it anymore.

Good luck and don't get too wild .
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

MRD

I doubt I can test out of math. I took both college Algebra 1 and 2 but I haven't done algebra in 25 years, so I know I couldn't pass a test on it. I couldn't even help my daughter do HS algebra.

I know several people that are currently taking Public History and if your son wants to work in a museum or historical site, that's really a good way to go.

I only have to have one semester of foreign language. I find one semester to be somewhat of a joke. I mean, how much do you really learn and retain in ONE semester?
    Like my husband said, he can count to 20, name the days of the week and about 20 other words and that's the extent of him taking TWO semesters of a foreign language.

Thanks for the FAFSA support. My problem wasn't so much with the filling the app out as it was with their website and the PIN problem. Didn't take me long to fill it out. What took weeks was the PIN problem. I was stuck in cyberspace and couldn't get out.

I know I'll appreciate this, this time around, a lot more than I did when I was 18-20.
    One of the things I'm looking forward to is that I have access to "real" historical people, so I'm hoping that will help set me apart on some of my papers. I'm actually looking forward to writing papers. I'm a geek.

But thanks again everyone. I'm really excited. I hope I can keep up the enthusiasm as the weeks and months and years go by.

+ Reply to Thread