+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

MRD - I knew the answers to both of your questions but I did embarrassingly bad on the math portion of my accuplacer tests for college today. Ugghhh!! Now I remember why I always hated math. But at least I know what I'm required to take now. I did ace the reading comprehension portion and did really well on the essay portion so that made me feel a bit better. I don't think I have to take any more tests for the admission process anyway so that's good.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Don't worry, Lil Bit. I did embarrassingly bad on my placement for math as well. I'm starting to get the hang of it again, though. Its just been a long time since I had any sort of math class.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Hey, put me in the bad math club too. It's one of those skills that will come back when you start to use it again. I told the statistics teacher that I haven't done any math beyond figuring a tip or dividing or multiplying fractions in recipes for 27 years. My husband on the other hand uses algebra on a daily basis (and reminds me of it ALL the time, the jerk!). But most of us don't use it much unless we have a math based job.

But good on you Lil' Bit for doing well in the essay (I LOVE essay questions because I can then give them MY opinion! ) and the reading comp. Ask the college you go to if they have any math help. I found out AFTER I dropped statistics that they had a free week long session for people like us to get us back in the math game before we started classes. I have found out that you have to ASK, ASK, ASK. Ask if your college has a department for "non-traditional" (us, older students) students as they have been INVALUABLE help for me because they are the ones that told me all the stuff I didn't know to ask. AND they do whatever they can to help and not just with school. The counselor I saw, just sat and let me pour out my frustrations about school, work, home and family for about 30 minutes and even brought me a cup of coffee while I did it. And then told me that's exactly what they are there for and they could help me find "balance". They've been great and I think more and more colleges have departments like this as more and more of us "non-traditional" students go back to school.

Of course, I'm almost embarrassed to go back as I unloaded on this guy. But I felt SO much better afterwards.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Tomorrow the college is having a class called Return to Learning that is aimed specifically for dislocated workers going back to school. It sounds like just what I need because it's supposed to answer many of the questions non traditional students will have. I think they are offering it here because the unemployment rate for the county that I live in is 9.8 %, second highest in the state. I'm planning on going to that. So many things have changed since I was in school, I'm sure I need a refresher.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

I have to admit that in the beginning (just back in Jan., not that long ago), I was so lost as EVERYTHING was different than when I was in school the first time. But now, I'm fitting in seemlessly and have figured out a lot of stuff on my own and by asking (which makes you feel empowered). My biggest adjustment was that EVERYTHING is computerized. I even get my syllabus off the class website, but the cool thing is that grades are posted online so I already found out my grade from yesterday's test. But the technology was a little daunting to me at first and finding my way around campus, stuff like that. You'll do great and it's great that they give you the orientation thing.

The VA approved my husband to go back to school. But get this: for 21 months. He has an AA degree and wants to bet his BA and the counselor told him that even though he needs 24 months, they can only approve 21. Is that not the stupidest thing you've ever heard??? So we'll have to pony up for his last semester, but at least they are covering the first few. I so wanted to ask how they expect to "rehabilitate" (the word of the day apparantly for this VA counselor) veteran's when they deny them benefits for their last semester. Way to go to get a good success rate.
    But I had already apparantly made an ass of myself during the orientation video that was so lame and hubby and I were in the room alone watching it and I was dissing it really badly when I noticed they had cameras in the room on us. So, way to go, I'm probably the reason they took that 3 months away.
    It really was a bad film and I said it was insulting to anyone's intelligence the way they did it. I swear if you are that dumb, then you wouldn't have been accepted in the military to begin with.

So along with this post, Lil' Bit, I just read where colleges are seeing an increased amount of new students who are in their 40's, 50's and even 60's. The downturn in the job market and the loss of so many jobs especially computer based (and financial) type jobs is putting our generation back in school to get new skills. So we're going to see more of us "non-traditionals" (I swear I'm coming up with a new word) on college campuses.

MRD

Financial Aid:

Why is it so FREAKING hard to get money to go to school? It's no wonder we have a nation of morons.

Ok, vent over, I feel a slight bit better.

Seems there's always more than enough money to go around for sports "scholarships." Just think, MRD, if you played for your university's football or basketball team, chances are you wouldn't have to pay a cent nor fill out financial aid forms. Nor study, for that matter.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3413005;
    Financial Aid:

Why is it so FREAKING hard to get money to go to school? It's no wonder we have a nation of morons.

Ok, vent over, I feel a slight bit better.
    Not attending college does not make someone a moron. Two of the smartest people I know didn't go to college. They just read a lot and have a lot of life experiences. In some cases, a degree is just a piece of paper.
    Wake up and be awesome

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3414254;
    Not attending college does not make someone a moron. Two of the smartest people I know didn't go to college. They just read a lot and have a lot of life experiences. In some cases, a degree is just a piece of paper.
    But it's a piece of paper that gets you better jobs in MOST cases.

And no, not having one doesn't make you a moron, but think how much better off this country would be and how less crowded our jails would be if a college education was availabe to everyone that wanted one and you didn't have to jump through multiple hoops to find money to go to school???

I'm frustrated and was venting. Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;3414254;
    Ashley, I completly agree. School is not for everyone and that does not make someone stupid or dumb for not attending. Even if school was a free option for every person, I'm sure that there are still many people who would not go. A degree may help you get some jobs, but there are also many other types of jobs that don't that don't require one and allow hardworking people to get far in life.

Back to the college discussion, I'm filling out my last FASFA ever! I only have one more year of school left, but only two more semesters of actually taking classes. I'm so excited to almost be done, I can finally see that the end is near.

+ Reply to Thread