+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Way to go...sounds like you knocked it out of the park! I'm glad it went well for you.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3370697;
    I just spent most of today at the local college taking tests. This morning from 9 am until about 11:45. This afternoon from 1 to 4. It was drug out this afternoon because the testing was done on computer and they were having troubles with their system so we waited 45 minutes to even get online. But, I did really well!! I haven't gotten scores from the morning tests, but the afternoon ones were scored immediately and I got a 5 out of 6 on locating information, a 6 out of 7 on applied mathematics, and a 7 out of 7 on reading for information. They are ranked Bronze, Silver and Gold, and I received a Gold ranking. The instructor shook my hand and congratulated me in front of the whole class. Ok, these were just skill assessment tests, but it's been SOOO many years since I've done anything in a classroom setting or even had to test for anything so I'm proud of myself. But now, I'm totally exhausted and I have to be to work in a half an hour.
    Lil' Bit, that's GREAT news. I am here to tell you that life experience makes you a lot smarter than you think you are. Some of those kids in my 2 government classes are so impressed that I "know" so much. Hell, I lived it, while they just had to read about it.

I made a C on my German test. COULD NOT believe I eeked out a C because I was sure I had failed it. So then he said today that he will drop the lowest test score. I have an A+ on all my home work which counts for 10% of my grade. I have another 10% for the poster (only TWO of us even did that, can you belive it???? I need all the help I can get and about half the class doesn't turn in homework, so I"m up 20% just for doing all the homework and turning in the poster)
    I have 2 more tests in the class, so I'm fairly confident that I might be able to eek out a B, but if, not I'll be more than happy with a C which means I passed. However, I couldn't tell you one damn thing I've learned other than why cucukoo clocks are made and that Lichtenstien means mossy rock and why there is such a large Turkish population in Germany. Speak it? Ha, conjugate verbs? ha ha

Oh and he says: "The entire class bombed miserably on personal pronouns on this test, even my couple of A students. I must not have covered them well."

The ONLY personal pronoun I even remember us going over was the one for "our".

I bought a used copy of Rosetta Stone after talking to the ROTC student in the class. The Army gave him the CD and he said if it wasn't for using that, he wouldn't be learning anything. So I'm going to spend a lot of time with Rosetta STone before I have to take German 2 as that teacher is supposedly really hard and VERY grammar oriented, which at this point, I have very little idea of what grammar is.

Thanks for letting me vent AGAIN about German.

Lil'Bit, I am SO proud of you. Maybe next year, we can go on Spring Break together!
    FORT Girls Gone Wild!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Way to go, Lil Bit!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3371283;
    . . . Thanks for letting me vent AGAIN about German . . .
    MRD, I wish sooooooo much that I could be your German teacher. Not only would you LOVE German (and laugh about it every day at the same time), but you'd also be a grammar whiz! Oh well . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Ellen, I so wish you could be too and so does the rest of my class. And we could go for beer after class!

I am getting Rosetta Stone. Any tips for that? I am going to need it for German 2 because no way is this class preparing me for that one.

And I so want to learn German and it doesn't appear to be THAT hard, if it was explained rationally.

Have you ever heard of the Oklahoma rules for adjective endings??? One of the other students after class who has taken 3 years of German in HS, said she had NEVER heard of the Oklahoma rules, but I'm so sick of them right now that I want to just burst out singing OOOOOKKKKKKKlahoma, where the wind somes sweeping down the plain.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3372863;
    Ellen, I so wish you could be too and so does the rest of my class. And we could go for beer after class!
    No, no, no!! You would go to Trader Joe's after class.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3372928;
    No, no, no!! You would go to Trader Joe's after class.
    Well, they do carry some good German beers at decent prices . . .

But no, no, no -- German beer on tap at a pub with really great old woodwork is de rigeur following German class and/or study group. (Being a German major in Milwaukee was great for that!)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3372863;
    . . . I am getting Rosetta Stone. Any tips for that? I am going to need it for German 2 because no way is this class preparing me for that one.

And I so want to learn German and it doesn't appear to be THAT hard, if it was explained rationally.

Have you ever heard of the Oklahoma rules for adjective endings??? One of the other students after class who has taken 3 years of German in HS, said she had NEVER heard of the Oklahoma rules, but I'm so sick of them right now that I want to just burst out singing OOOOOKKKKKKKlahoma, where the wind somes sweeping down the plain.
    I've never used Rosetta Stone, so I couldn't really say. From what I understand, though, it's strong on pronunciation and intuitive conversation, but weak on the "hard and fast" grammar, so you may need a good supplementary grammar resource. If you studied (and understood) diagramming in English grammar, you have a good foundation for German grammar. You just need a good resource for tying the two together. I'll nose around my bookshelf, etc., and see what I can recommend, in lieu of a good teacher/tutor with a strong background in English and German grammar along with the ability to explain it.

The Oklahoma rules for adjective endings? I studied German formally for 10 years, and informally for many more, and never heard of that. Given that the possible endings are -e, -er, -en, -em, and -es, and the cases affecting them are nominative, accusative, dative, and genitive, I can't imagine a likely acronym or other mnenomic device. I'll have to look that one up, because at this point, it's not making any sense! (Unless someone made up a Schoolhouse Rock song about German adjective endings to the tune of "Oklahoma"? Or someone from Oklahoma authored a fabulous set of rules?)
    Last edited by Ellen; 03-07-2009 at 01:39 AM.

I just googled "The Oklahoma rules for adjective endings" and came up with this site....

German Grammar: Adjective Endings

here's another site which might also help.....

Adjektivendungen

Still don't get what Oklahoma has to do with any of this.
    Last edited by MamaC; 03-07-2009 at 01:50 AM.

MRD

Ellen, it's a chart that looks like the state of Oklamhoma for the endings. He has them numbered Ok. #1, 2 and 3

We also have the James Brown rule and the Touchdown rule. HOnestly, I can't remember the touchdown rule, but the James Brown rule is that "It's a man's world", that 90% of German nouns are male gender.

So Yeah, the Oklahoma rules must be his invention.

Thanks MamaC, I will add that to the other sites I've found that I'm using. The rest of the class is also online using sites because between the teacher and the book (I wish you could see the book. I keep saying: I paid $60 for THIS??? - that's $60 USED) we need other help. The book is the most useless thing I've ever seen. I ONLY use it for the vocabulary section.

I will get through this class. Only 2 more tests and he's going to drop the grade from one test, so if I can continue to make C's on the tests, I'll be ok. Believe me, I'd like a better grade, but I realize that a C is the best I"m going to get in this class. I work really hard, but I also have other classes with work to do, and I have a job. So German is getting enough and it's not going to get so much that it ruins the A's I'm making in my other classes which are part of my major.
    Last edited by MRD; 03-07-2009 at 08:03 AM.

I looked up the "Oklahoma rule." It's a pretty lame memory device, because all it does is highlight one small subset of endings. Not an effective tool for learning nor teaching. All of these so-called "memorization rules" I've been seeing, I think, are a waste of brain space and study time. They don't tackle enough of the targeted topic to do any sort of real good; it's better to have the grammar charts handy, spend enough time on them to be familiar enough with the contents, use them as needed for writing and reading practice, and after awhile you'll find you don't need the charts anymore because the endings have become part of your repetoire. (But the key is to have a good grasp of the concepts to begin with; then the inflections make sense and memorization comes naturally.)

+ Reply to Thread