+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3336592;

I worked at one of those, too, when I was between jobs. The parents there were the same. So was the getting sick with low wages, no sick pay, no health insurance. Three of us got pinkeye from one of the little monsters that evilmom slipped in. And it was such a joy going to the county clinic and waiting for however many hours for the little bottle of eye drops.

You're right -- daycare centers / preschools / church nurseries are the absolute worst.
    Oh, Ellen, your pinkeye story reminds me of another gem from college. At the end of my junior year, I was miserably sick the last two weeks of school- it took me two weeks after I got home to get healthy again. The morning after I left school, I woke up with an unmistakable case of pinkeye. I let my two roommates know and advised them to be careful in our bathroom. Well, three days later, my roommate, who had stayed at school to work reunion, told me that she too had come down with pinkeye. Immediately I (and my parents) started telling her not to touch anything, but she said that there was absolutely no way she could take the day off from her job at reunion, which that day involved making several hundred beds in the dorms for alumni lodging. We never heard but wondered how many alums caught pinkeye.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3336568;
    You want a breeding ground for disease, try a Day Care Center. I worked at one many years ago and the rule was no kids who had fever, vomiting or diarrhea. The parents would dope the kids up with Tylenol, bring them to Day Care and then get mad at us when we called them at work to come and pick up their sick kid. Meanwhile, the germs were spread to all the other kids and the circle would start all over. I was sick all the time when I worked there. Loved the job, loved the kids, but with the low wage and no health insurance, I had to quit and find something else.
    I had a friend that was one of those parents, except she'd dope them up and bring them to my house where we would all get sick.

I've worked with school kids for years, but I have never seen the germies like I see at college. My one class all hack, cough, blow, sneeze and carry on like it's the TB ward and that's where I got the flu and gave it to the entire family.

LIl Bit, good luck, I know it's a lot of hoops, but it's worth it in the end. We're here to lend you support as you jump through them all.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-20-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

If you want to know about germ factories, try living with four children. We're sick all the time. I call them my little carrier monkeys. I actually have a cold AGAIN right now.

Anyway, I talked to my advisor today and with my transfer credits, I only have three more classes to take to finish up my associates degree. Then its off to CSU to finish up my B.S.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3338405;
    If you want to know about germ factories, try living with four children. We're sick all the time. I call them my little carrier monkeys. I actually have a cold AGAIN right now.

Anyway, I talked to my advisor today and with my transfer credits, I only have three more classes to take to finish up my associates degree. Then its off to CSU to finish up my B.S.

Excellent news, Stargazer!

Star, that is great news.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3355582;
    YUCK...that's one reason I never did nearly well in 'commercial' art classes I tried, as I did in fine arts; I could never stand for anyone to dicatate the ideas myu art should present!
    And yes, that's a nice sentiment, but I agree, it sounds like a real time waster for a German class. I googled the theme phrase, and as your instructor has probably mentioned, it's something that an organization at LA City College came up with for Foreign Language week. Their poster has a picture of all-colored hands holding up a globe--how original. Maybe you could make a collage of 'people helping people" from differenr countries, or maybe something hokey like showing a South American banana farmer, an Alaskan fisherman, and an Asian spice harvester, arranged around or leading to a French chef That's not exactly the warm and fuzzy it sounds like the teacher wants, but it's quick. I don't think "stealing' my 'example' in this case would matter, since I'm not doing it for you, and after all it's so very off subject. Told ya I'm bored!
    I think the whole thing is stupid and it it weren't going to snow tomorrow, you can bet, I'd have you here helping me.

It'a a lame subject I know. I mean, how trite: many hands, many voices, one world. What genius thought that up?

BUT, the stupid poster is worth 10% of my grade and right now I need that 10% and can't afford to lose it, so I'm going to use my scrapbooking stuff to make it. I can use diecuts to show hands holding up a globe (I know, it's their example, but I thought of it before I saw their example) and will have a row of abstract faces of different skin tones at the bottom with music notes floating upwards (voices) and the title and my 10 reasons to take German, typed out and matted on the poster. THank goodness for scrapbooking as I found a globe, hands, an eiffel tower, the Taj Mahal, the Acropolis, an Egyptian figure, a German man in Leiderhosen, etc. that I can also use,m that I already had. So right now, I just have to punch out a bunch of circles for the heads, attach lips (I have a lips punch, have to punch out lips) and using my diecut machine, punch out the letters for the title, then glue it all on the posterboard.
    Since the artwork has to be "original" due to copyright laws and I can't draw more than a stick figure, I'm using what I have and where my talents lie to do this as in my Christmas cards/scrapbooking. And it only cost me 59 cents for the poster board. I'm going for cheap, easy and done.

And it's not even being "graded", just we get 10% if we turn it in. I am so disgusted with this whole class and teacher that I'm REALLY irked about all of it and the stupid poster is the last straw because he didn't tell us about it until last Tues. and it's due this Tues. ARGH!!!!! You can tell he has been a high school teacher for 30 years and hasn't even put in a full year as a college instructor.

Thanks for the ideas though, I do appreciate it. And actually it does give me a break from studying the hard stuff as I can do this and watch a little tv at the same time as a study break from my "real" work. The education majors in the class are all into this. But I'm not going to be teaching school, so I don't see where it really helps me in any shape or form for later.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-28-2009 at 06:15 PM.

mrd, I'm sorry to hear you had to drop statistics. I never realized you were taking it online! I'm glad to hear that you won't be penalized for dropping it though.

MRD

Now I wish I had dropped German instead. The school had a 2 hour delay today due to the storm on Sun and the fact that there's still a lot of people without power. Well they should have shut down today like they did yesterday. This school was the only college in the area (there are 4 others nearby) that opened today, even the public schools were closed. The sidewalks and outside staircases, were almost unusable and they had many of the stairs blocked, so you had to take the long way around to classes. Trees down all over campus. 6 people showed up for German. The teacher has had no power since Sun., night, has the flu, no hot food, shower, etc., so he was in a lovely mood. He spent 30 min. doing review work and then handed out the test which was so long, I didn't finish. Someone else asked if he could came back after the noon class to take the rest of and was told no. I had a midterm (and this test carries a lot of grade weight) in my noon class and coudln't stay either, so when I handed in my test, I asked if I could finish it later and was told the same thing. I had one whole page that I didn't get too. I'm really ticked, I'm so over this professor and I know that I will be LUCKY if I got a C on this test.

I never got a reply to the head of the language department either. So now, I'm going to start raising a huge fuss. This is riduculous. There is a ROTC guy in this class and he nad I left at the same time and he told me the Army gave him the Rosetta STone software and if it wasn't for that, he wouldn't be passing this class. He says he's learned more from the Rosetta STone than from the teacher.

And I'm still ticked about the stupid poster, but I got it done and turned in today and only 2 of the 6 of us even did that.

And driving up there today was scary. The roads were still icy at 10 a.m. and the idiots driving didn't bother to brush off the snow on their cars, so it comes flying off in chunks right at you. The truckers are still driving like bats out of hell and the interstate only had 2 lanes cleared. My nerves are FRIED today. But I think I did REALLY well in my government midterm, so there is that bright spot. But no way was I going to let 2 classes go down the tubes to stay and finish my German test. The government class has only 2 tests the entire semester and a paper and as it's part of my major and German isn't, I'd rather have the A or B in that class and just somehow deal with German. It's really not that important to me other than just getting a passing grade at this point.

ARGH, thanks for letting me vent. I've never had to drive in conditions like I did today, so I was having some anxiety by the time I got to class and then having the German test take longer than the period and I was just about to pull my hair out. But I'm home now and I'm hoping that this damn snow melts before I have to go back on Thur. and they get power restored, so the professors are happier.

I just spent most of today at the local college taking tests. This morning from 9 am until about 11:45. This afternoon from 1 to 4. It was drug out this afternoon because the testing was done on computer and they were having troubles with their system so we waited 45 minutes to even get online. But, I did really well!! I haven't gotten scores from the morning tests, but the afternoon ones were scored immediately and I got a 5 out of 6 on locating information, a 6 out of 7 on applied mathematics, and a 7 out of 7 on reading for information. They are ranked Bronze, Silver and Gold, and I received a Gold ranking. The instructor shook my hand and congratulated me in front of the whole class. Ok, these were just skill assessment tests, but it's been SOOO many years since I've done anything in a classroom setting or even had to test for anything so I'm proud of myself. But now, I'm totally exhausted and I have to be to work in a half an hour.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread