+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

MRD, I'm really sorry to hear that your German teacher is awful. Especially when you're starting out, it helps to have a teacher who can provide some clarity and it doesn't seem like yours is up to the task. I've had my experiences with books which have served better as doorstops than supplemental course information, but usually there's been a good teacher to help there. It sounds kind of silly, but does your local library or the college library have any language tapes or other materials that might help you out? It might be worth a shot...

MRD

I'm using the language lab and I have a website I am also using and a friend who's mother is German is going to help me, we just need to get our times together to meet.
    I'm going to have to do this on my own apparantly.

I just figured out why this idiot is teaching. Budget cuts. We've heard so much about budget cuts and this is only his second semester teaching college and he complains about how he's not making diddly squat to teach us. So I figure they are hiring teachers like him to save money. Sucks for the students.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Well I dropped statistics today. THis has been the week from HELL for it. I have been up late, I have whined and cried, hubby's been trying to read the text book and help. The biggest problem is that I can't work the effen, graphing calculator. IT's great, does all these equations for you. IF you know how to use it. I have trouble with the tv remote. So I talked to the Non-traditional student services counselor today (say that 3 times fast) and he said I should probably take the class in a classroom and not online (duh) and that their office offers a free week long class in Aug. for students like me returning to school who haven't had math in ages AND they teach how to use the stupid calculator. So I then talked to my advisor and financial aid and I won't be penalized for dropping it. Everyone agreed that I probably shouldn't have taken it this semester and I complained that it's hard for new students to know which classes are online classes as they don't SAY that clearly.

They have a "code". Well I'm not a damn Navajo code talker, so how am I supposed to know the code being brand new with some 19 year old "helper" who apparantly doesn't know either??? So after I laid out all MY complaints about being a new student and a "non-traditional" student and the issues I've had (not many, but still, things I've had to learn the hard way), the Non-Traditional Student Services counselor took notes and said that I was RIGHT!!! I love it and wants to get more of my input on how they can help other students like me when they are brand new. Oh, I think I may have inadvertantly volunteered for something ELSE. LOL

Still, I was a lost puppy and still am in some areas.

I've had a breakthrough in German. The teacher still sucks, but somethink clicked and I think I might actually be getting it. So I knew I had to drop a class because I was behind in Statistics and I'm struggling in German, but it was statistics as I feel I need a teacher face to face and not trying to learn it online which is just like reading the book and about as clear as mud.

Plus I'm stil having issues from my German class at 11 am this morning. We had to go in the lab and wear earphones and a microphone and listen and repeat stuff in German to be recorded for the teacher to grade. I was so freaked out by the earphones. They are huge and go over your head and god knows how many nasty students have worn the things before me and I was so worried about germs and lice that I couldn't do the work. THe teacher was NOT interested in my phobias either. The school is one large petri dish of germs. I've already had the flu and now there's a stomach bug going around and they want me to put this headset on that might have lice and bend the attached microphone close to my mouth that might have germs on it and they didn't clean it!!! EWW, I'm having shudders just remembering. LOL And I'm not a germophobe, but I do have fears of having lice. Never had it, but I don't like to try on hats or lean my head against the seats in the movie theater, so this unclean headset really got to me. I know, I"m a wimp.

I'm glad you resolved your statistics class problem, mrd. And I don't blame you at all for being freaked out in the Language Lab. College students (the traditional kind, lol) aren't exactly well known for their good hygiene.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3335483;
    I'm glad you resolved your statistics class problem, mrd. And I don't blame you at all for being freaked out in the Language Lab. College students (the traditional kind, lol) aren't exactly well known for their good hygiene.
    I know, I've seen them. That's what was freaking me out about the language lab. I swear it's my imagination, but my head has itched all day after that. I am being such a baby about it, but it just really grossed me out. And I don't get grossed out too often.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3335483;
    Isn't that the truth! And dorms are a breeding ground for disease- I used to get sick all the time in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3336027;
    Isn't that the truth! And dorms are a breeding ground for disease- I used to get sick all the time in college.

That made me laugh - the sickest that I have EVER been was in college. I was coughing and gagging (and won't type what else I was doing)... My roomate's boyfriend popped THE question to her while I was right there on what I thought was my deathbed.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3336371;
    That made me laugh - the sickest that I have EVER been was in college. I was coughing and gagging (and won't type what else I was doing)... My roomate's boyfriend popped THE question to her while I was right there on what I thought was my deathbed.
    One of the sickests I've ever been was my first time in college. I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. It was awful. AND I had tickets to see the Rolling Stones. The doctor got me well enough to be able to go to the concert though.

This flu bug I caught and gave to the whole family was pretty nasty. I got it the 2nd week of school this year.

I didn't get really sick (pneumonia w/ ear infection) in college until the second semester of my second year -- when I got a job as a teaching assistant in an elementary school. THOSE schools are the worst breeding grounds for disease!

However, I always lived in apartments with only one roommate. I avoided the dorms like the . . . well . . . plague.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Pinkeye was the one thing I didn't get while I worked there. Don't know how, because all the kids had it at one point or another.

Back on topic.... I have all the paperwork to fill out for financial aid to go back to school. Being what they now consider permanently unemployed since I've been off work for more than 6 months, I'm eligible for displaced worker benefits. BUT I have to jump through all their hoops first. And since there are hundreds of people who just became eligible at the same time, I have to take my number and wait for my turn. I have to file all their paperwork first, then do FAFSA. Then sign up for classes. (I think) But, the ball is rolling at least. I'm just not sure how slow it's going to roll.

+ Reply to Thread