+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3299010;
    Good for you MRD. Don't give up!

There is an informational meeting on Feb 12 in my area that I'm planning on going to. It's held by Workforce Development, the local college, Community Action, etc., and is dealing with what help is out there for displaced workers. I'd like to go back to school and this meeting sounds like what I need to gather the information about the programs out there for people like me. My kids have been encouraging me to go back to school and I want to, but it's so hard for me to take that first step. I'm the type of person who gets in a routine (rut?) and just stays there. But, I'm GOING to do this. I may need someone to actually push me out the door though.
    Lil Bit,
    I would go back if I were you. You will feel really good about it, too.

MRD,

Glad you had your Eureka moment. I knew you would. Throughout my life, I have found that many women have problems with math. I think it's because we really were not encouraged in it when we started in school. Although I had always done well in Math in school, I didn't think of it as a particular forte of mine. When I took my SATs many years ago, I was surprised that my Math score was actually higher than my verbal/English. I think so much of our problems with Math stem from our early experiences with it.

Well, after 8 long weeks of waiting, I finally got my last 3 grades back today. I have officially passed all my classes last term. It's nerve wrecking waiting so long.

Way to go Gnome!

MRD

I actually did quite well in math throughout HS and college. My only math problems tended to be in geometry and calculus. I tore up Algebra and Trig though. Always made A's. And the stuff that was hanging me up in Stats was similar to the stuff that hung me up in Calculus and geometry. Once I got to the actual math in statistics, it all became clear. It's just formulas. I can do formulas. What I still can't do is find the variable and the implied population in the stupid word problems. I also apparantly don't understand ordinal and interval data.
    But I have been tearing up the frequency tables and the graphs. I just hope that there isn't a lot about variables and populations and ordinal data on the test and there is a LOT of frequency tables and histograms as I've got those down now!

My other problem was dusting off the math cobwebs in my brain. I hadn't done anything but just basic math in 27 years. Now that I got rid of the rust in the math section of my brain, the wheels seem to be turning smoother. Although, as it gets harder, we'll see how I'm doing. But for now, I'm doing ok.

But you're right, a lot of women are told that girls aren't good at math and aren't encouraged to do it and it does cause a problem.

ETA: Yardgnome. I'm sure it's a relief to get your grades finally. And congrats on the passing grades.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3300610;
    Well, after 8 long weeks of waiting, I finally got my last 3 grades back today. I have officially passed all my classes last term. It's nerve wrecking waiting so long.

Yay! I'm really happy for you. You must be proud of yourself. I'm so glad you finally got them back. That sounded so nerve wracking!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

I made a 94 on my statistics homework. . Just a week after thinking I would NEVER ever understand the material. Test is tomorrow. I've done nothing but frequency tables and histograms for days. The other graphs, I have down pat, as they are easy. The frequency tables are just tedious and I have to be really careful, so am contining to practice them.

German test tomorrow too. I have the vocubulary down, but still have trouble with the verb tenses and the Der, Das, Die. But found out that I'm n ot the only one. Everyone finally fessed up yesteday that they are all having problems. So maybe the professor will quit goofing around and teach us what we need to know instead of telling stories.

*looks over at myrosiedog* *way to go dear lady* keep it up.

MRD

Thank you.

Well off to take Statistics and German tests. I can't believe how nervous I am. My stomach is doing flips and I couldn't eat this morning. I need to eat and I am going to take a protien bar with me.

I'm sure once the first tests are out of the way, I'll be ok. But I honestly can't believe how nervous I am.

I also have to say that it is AMAZING how much better my memory is this time around in college than it was all those many years ago. I guess all those reports about the short-term memory effects of "smoking" really were true.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Surely you gest, MRF. (Get the joke?)

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well, MRD.

As for me, I ended up with strep throat that caused me to miss a few classes. It doesn't take long with five classes to feel like you're falling behind, so I'm a little stressed about it. I'm just going to have to really swing it into high gear until I catch up.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread