+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Starting College or Going Back

Re: Starting College or Going Back

MRD, what college are you attending if you don't mind me asking? That is really weird about the add/drop only being for 3 days. Is there an appeal process? I would think they should let you have a few classes before the deadline I took stats many moons ago (before the wheel was invented) and you will have your "eureka" moment. Going back to school is a bit of a culture shock and you have the added pressure of keeping a household going. I am sure it will work out well for you, and it's good that you are using all the resources available to you. I would try the math lab again since maybe you just got a dud the first time

Star...that sounds like an interesting class!

MRD

I talked to the professor and he was VERY understanding and sympathtic and HE'S going to tutor me!!!!! I will be going to the math lab too. And he's going to push back the next 2 tests dates for me (and I'm supposed to keep this secret, so shhh. ) to help me get caught up because I have fallen behind because I haven't "gotten" the first 2 chapters. He was surprised that my advisor told me to take this class, especially upon hearing that I haven't had done anything but basic math in 27 years. But he said to persevere and I should at least pass. He did say i will probably get a Eureka moment as well. I can't believe how nice and helpful he was. One of the other older students told me that he's really good with us older students.
    He asked me what I wanted to do and I said that I couldn't drop the course without putting my financial aid in jeopardy because I'd go from a full time to a part time student. I also said, I don't want to drop and have to take another math class later, that I already bought the books and calculator and I wanted to get it out of the way. He agreed and said that he thought that he could get me up to speed, the math lab tutors could keep me up to speed and he would be available in his offfice, by phone and by email to help me and for me to not hestitate to ask questions when I needed too. That he prefers I have my questions written down and have specific things I need help with and that's fine. So I think it may work out. I may not make an A or B, but at this point, all I want to do is pass and have this behind me and can go on with the classes I want to take and not the ones I have to take.
    I thought drop/add was usually a week, so I was surprised that it was only 3 days and since I have Tues and Thur. classes and drop add ended on Wed., I only had one class to determine if I was going to stay in it or not.
    Hey, it's all a learning experience and I'm learning. I know what to do next time. I was very out of my element when I registered and all. So hey, the first semester isn't just what I'm learning in class, but learning the ropes of how the school runs and how things are done and now that we have things like computers which we did not have much of back in the dark ages when I was first in college, I just need to learn how they do it now.
    It's all good. (right now. I may get frustrated tonight when I open that math book, but at least I know that the professor is wanting me to succeed and wants to help me succeed. Unlike the crazy German teacher. )

ETA: I'm attending a branch campus of the Univ. of S. Carolina
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, that sounds like a step in the right direction. It is good to write down specific questions, and thank god for e-mail. Good luck with the math and it's probably best to get it out of the way. I have to admit I didn't like it much but it had to be done!

MRD

OK, today I experienced a partial Eureka moment in statistics. I wouldn't call it a full Eureka as there is still some stuff that is confusing me, but I got the rest of it!

AND I also figured out the graphing calculator somewhat too.

I am not nearly as depressed about this class as before. Of course, I haven't gotten any grades yet, so I may be fooling myself. BUT, I am slowly getting it.

Good for you MRD. Don't give up!

There is an informational meeting on Feb 12 in my area that I'm planning on going to. It's held by Workforce Development, the local college, Community Action, etc., and is dealing with what help is out there for displaced workers. I'd like to go back to school and this meeting sounds like what I need to gather the information about the programs out there for people like me. My kids have been encouraging me to go back to school and I want to, but it's so hard for me to take that first step. I'm the type of person who gets in a routine (rut?) and just stays there. But, I'm GOING to do this. I may need someone to actually push me out the door though.

mrd, I'm glad to hear that you had a eureka moment. I'm actually a statistics major. What are you learning about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3299010;
    Good for you MRD. Don't give up!

There is an informational meeting on Feb 12 in my area that I'm planning on going to. It's held by Workforce Development, the local college, Community Action, etc., and is dealing with what help is out there for displaced workers. I'd like to go back to school and this meeting sounds like what I need to gather the information about the programs out there for people like me. My kids have been encouraging me to go back to school and I want to, but it's so hard for me to take that first step. I'm the type of person who gets in a routine (rut?) and just stays there. But, I'm GOING to do this. I may need someone to actually push me out the door though.
    If it can fit in your schedule and finances, you should absolutely go for it. Its so fulfilling for me to be back in school. You'll never regret it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

LIl Bit, I would definetly give you that push. I'm glad I decided to go back.
    Go to the meeting and get the info. You'll have a lot of support and I'll bet you'll be glad you decided to go back.

Pineapple, I'm in basic statistics and in chapters 1 and 2. I just basically learned how to do frequency tables, histograms, etc. What was hanging me up was ordinal, nominal, interval and ratio data. I couldn't figure that out nor could I identify the the variable or the implied population. Once I got to chapter two and started actually doing problems, it came together.

This is the only math class I have to take, but I haven't had math in 27 years. I have only been doing basic math since taking Algebra 2 27 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;3299253;
    If it can fit in your schedule and finances, you should absolutely go for it. Its so fulfilling for me to be back in school. You'll never regret it.
    I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to fit it into my schedule since that's fairly "open" lately. The only things that may stop me are my limited finances and my fears.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3300076;
    I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to fit it into my schedule since that's fairly "open" lately. The only things that may stop me are my limited finances and my fears.
    Lil Bit, I qualifed for a lot of financial aid and as you are in my "age range" there are quite a few options for what they like to call "non-traditional" students (I am coming to really hate that term. )

Go to the fafsa website and apply NOW. Fafsa is the government site that administer's pell grants, etc. Getting your financial aid started now will be a huge help and that damn website is tricker than David Copperfield. Just getting your PIN is a pain, but you have to have it.

In fact, I actually qualified for so much financial aid, that I got an "overage" and had the option of turning it down or accepting it to help defray other expenses. And yes, I'm learning that there are a LOT of "other" expenses not just books and tuition.

Anyway, I don't think that your financial aid should be a problem. And the schools make it so easy for us "non-traditional" students. I didn't have to take pre-admission testing because of my age and the professors seem to really prefer the older students and in my case seem to be more willing to help out. Others have told me the same thing. My school also has special scholarships for older students.

If it's an option and you want to do it, you should be able too. So far, it's one of the best things I've ever done. And you'll get lots of help and support here. You already know that.

+ Reply to Thread