+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Help Desk

Electronics Help Desk

I hope it is OK to post this question here since it isn't a computer question, but I need some "electronics" advice. Mr. Melitta has been working his tail off these last few months at work and here at home. I really want to get him a flat screen TV for Christmas. He remodeled the living room and has mentioned how good a flat screen would look up on the wall. So, I would like to at least get a 42". I have read that an LCD is better than a Plasma for everyday use and continous hours of use (for when the kids are home). Anyone have an opinion?
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Re: Computer help desk

No, but I'm jealous!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Burntbrat...

This is specifically the TV I am looking at...

Vizio 42" Class Plasma HDTV with Built-in Tuner, VP422HDTV10A
    $697.00
    Key Features & Benefits:
    Spectacular 42" high definition plasma
    For briliant colors and rich, intense blacks
    3 HDMI connections and 2 component inputs
    All the connections you want for your high definition needs
    30,000:1 Contrast Ratio and 1024 x 720 Resolution
    Makes your high definition video and gaming images really pop
    Built-in digital tuner
    A built-in digital tuner receives and decodes ATSC off-air and unscrambled cable signals directly, so you can view digital high-definition TV programming without an additional set-up box
    Wireless remote control included: Yes

I've heard mixed reviews about Vizio's but the majority of people say they love their product. If you have a buy one get one free, please send it my way!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3240357;
    I've heard mixed reviews about Vizio's but the majority of people say they love their product. If you have a buy one get one free, please send it my way!
    Too funny on the buy one get one free! Wouldn't that be a heck of a deal though? I would find someone too go in halfs with me and really save money!!

This specific TV has about 172 customer ratings with the total being 4 1/2 stars out of 5. I think those are pretty good odds!

I was worried about the "burn in" I have been reading about, but just read another article that says it really isn't an issue anymore. The Plasma would be better, I believe, in our house because of the lighting. Not real bright light because of the tint on the windows and I like it dark when we watch movies, which we do quite a bit. The life span on both flat screens before they start dimming is about 60,000 hours, which would average to about 7 years if left on all day every day.

Another plus is this TV is at Wal-Mart and Mr. Melitta's nephew works there, so 10% discount also! That saves the amount of the tax plus 1.25% off the price. Not much, but it will help!
    Last edited by Melitta; 11-24-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Mr buglover tends to burn out tv's very quickly. I'm not sure what he does but once a year one of the tv's goes out. You can hear sound but no picture at all. A few days ago our projection tv went out and I finally looked up what may be the issue. It seems that mr buglover, having to have the brightness, sharpness, etc all the way to the limit burns the tv out much faster than leaving it at factory default. He won't listen to me of course.....
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3240356;
    Burntbrat...

This is specifically the TV I am looking at...

Vizio 42" Class Plasma HDTV with Built-in Tuner, VP422HDTV10A
    $697.00
    Key Features & Benefits:
    Spectacular 42" high definition plasma
    For briliant colors and rich, intense blacks
    3 HDMI connections and 2 component inputs
    All the connections you want for your high definition needs
    30,000:1 Contrast Ratio and 1024 x 720 Resolution
    Makes your high definition video and gaming images really pop
    Built-in digital tuner
    A built-in digital tuner receives and decodes ATSC off-air and unscrambled cable signals directly, so you can view digital high-definition TV programming without an additional set-up box
    Wireless remote control included: Yes
    We bought an HDTV Panasonic Plasma (47" ?) and we love it. We've not had any of the problems that people talk about with plasmas. What sold us was that the detail seemed so much better (we can see the designs in Alex Trebec's suits! ), the black seemed blacker and the colors seemed richer. I'm not an expert by any means, but we are really glad we got a plasma.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

How did you like your projection TV? We just bought one on sale. I'm sure isn't the greatest or best quality, but it was originally $200 and we got it for $60. Screen size can go up to 7 1/2 feet and hooks into the TV or DVD player. Kind of bought it on a whim and haven't used it yet, but Mr. Melitta was thinking FOOTBALL on a big screen.

Ummm, any chance we can change this to the Electronics and Computer help desk? Sorry to highjack it the way I have. I just didn't know where else to ask the question that some of the more electronically minded people on this forum would find it.

Thank you Stargazer! I am thinking this is the one I am going to get also. How long have you had yours?

We've had it several months now and haven't had any problems. We've even left it on "pause" for up to a half an hour at a time and didn't have anything "burn" into the screen.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast