+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Help Desk

FORT Newbie

Re: Electronics Help Desk

They should definitely offer you a free HD-DVR if you've been a 12 year preferred customer! If you call them and they don't, PM me and maybe I can give you some ideas of how to get them to act on your behalf.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hey! You guys share the wealth of knowledge!! There are other preferred customers out here, too, you know!

I'm with DISH, but I'm sure if you've seen one you've seen them all!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Keymaster;3244912;
    They should definitely offer you a free HD-DVR if you've been a 12 year preferred customer! If you call them and they don't, PM me and maybe I can give you some ideas of how to get them to act on your behalf.
    I have emailed DirecTV and asked them to tell me what equipment I would need to upgrade in order to be HD compatible. From the web site, I can choose from 2 different DVR's, one for $99 or one for $199 and they throw in a new dish for free. I will see what they offer in the email and then go from there. I know when I called about my first DVR, I had missed the sale to get it for $50 (it was originally $100). They had already given me the big, "Oh, I see you are one of our prefered customers, we really appreciate your continued service, how can I help you? When I asked about the DVR for $50 they told me I had missed the sale and it was now $100 and "would I still like to buy one?" I told them, "No thanks, Dish has sent us an offer for all new receivers, one being a DVR for free. I just wanted to see what Directv had to offer since we really want a DVR, but I don't want to pay $100 for one when I can get one and all 3 of my other receivers replaced for free." I got the DVR for $50, free shipping and the $50 was made in installments over 3 months. LOL. My newest DVR was offered for free if I would sign a new 2 year contract. Since we have been with Directv for so long, I didn't see the harm in signing a contract. Dang, that may have been my bargining chip, with the first DVR I hadn't been under contract to stay.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

FORT Newbie

Melitta, I've been with DirecTV about the same length of time you have, and have managed to get two free HD-DVR's, a free regular DVR, various free programming or credits by calling and asking. You won't get the same offers via email; you have to call. I know that lately they've been getting a little tighter with the incentives, but I called last month and was able to get an offer of $20 off my bill each month for six months. Your best bargaining chip has been played since you are now committed, but there's still hope.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3244748;
    I think that's exactly what they've done, based on my internet research. It would be easier to figure out if Mom had a newer TV, because the fact that things have to go through this modulator is confusing me. I think the cable is hooked into the modulator, which is hooked into the VCR and the TV both.
    Thinking back to when I had a similarly old tv, I'm pretty sure the way I had it rigged was the cable coax went into the VCR's input and then output to the tv had the modulator on it. Maybe try that? OTOH, perhaps your mom should put a new t.v. on her Christmas list.

"Dear Santa....."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had to laugh today. I went to Wal-Mart and was talking with my nephew about the sale they are having Saturday, in particular the Sanyo TV. He had no idea they were having a special sale. He found me later on in the store and told me, "I talked to my manager about the sale ad and he didn't know anything about it either." I told my nephew, "Well, I guess you would have found out about it when a pallet of TV's showed up that you weren't expecting." He is suppose to call me and let me know if any come in on tonight's or tomorrow night's truck. Trying to get an idea of how many they are getting in and whether it would be worth it to try and get one. The ad says minimum of 2 per store. If they only get 2, then forget it. If they get 25, then heck yeah! Since they don't give a model number, my nephew and I were just eye balling the 42" Sanyos that they already have. Nice TV. He said Wal-Mart only supplies the 720p HD programming to the ones on display and then the commercials (expect Wal-Marts) are not HD. Still had a nice picture without the HD from a distance and close up. I think Mr. Melitta would be very pleased with the TV.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3245597;
    Trying to get an idea of how many they are getting in and whether it would be worth it to try and get one. The ad says minimum of 2 per store. If they only get 2, then forget it. If they get 25, then heck yeah! Since they don't give a model number, my nephew and I were just eye balling the 42" Sanyos that they already have. Nice TV. He said Wal-Mart only supplies the 720p HD programming to the ones on display and then the commercials (expect Wal-Marts) are not HD. Still had a nice picture without the HD from a distance and close up. I think Mr. Melitta would be very pleased with the TV.
    I personally think it is completely ridiculous that stores can get away with advertising a "great deal" and then not stock the item to support the demand. The minimum available per store should have to be something more reasonable than 2!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3245644;
    I personally think it is completely ridiculous that stores can get away with advertising a "great deal" and then not stock the item to support the demand. The minimum available per store should have to be something more reasonable than 2!!
    Isn't that what they used to call "bait and switch"? Get you into the store because of an advertised sale, then hope that you'll just buy something else when the item is sold out.

I remember Circuit City doing that, years ago, when DVD players first came out. They'd get you in there, not have the one advertised, and then offer you the "more expensive" one at the price of the advertised one. I'm sure that their Pinnochio noses were growing the entire time, with their game-playing. They're not going to GIVE you ANYTHING.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast