+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Help Desk

Re: Electronics Help Desk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3243688;
    Plasma or LCD television. That is the question. I read something that indicated that the LCDs are what they are selling the most of these days. Does anyone know for sure?
    That's what I've heard... The colors aren't a sharp as Plasma (especially blacks) but they're close, you'd have to be an expert comparing both under perfect viewing conditions... They also don't have the burn in that can happen on Plasma (although, that isn't as bad as it once was), They're cheaper, and are supposed to do better in bright daylight rooms. Size is a limitation, although they're getting bigger and bigger... They're a very popular option well up into the 40" range... I want to say that you see fewer and fewer Plasma's in those sizes...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3243645;
    My mother has bought a DVD/VCR combo machine. The idea was that she could use it to copy old home videos onto DVD, and also continue to tape things off the TV. However, we can't get it to work. It will only record channel 3 off the television.
    Lucy, the cable hooked directly into the VCR not straight to the TV, right? If it is and you still only record tv channel 3, I'd first try contacting the customer support for the VCR before going to the lengths of getting a cable box. It doesn't seem likely that anyone would make a VCR that only will record on one channel. (But stranger things have happened. )

I have to admit I have never figured out how to record from the cable box. In the 10 years we've had the VCR, I never have gotten it right. I gave up on it a long time ago.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3243688;
    Plasma or LCD television. That is the question. I read something that indicated that the LCDs are what they are selling the most of these days. Does anyone know for sure?

prhoshay, my nephew says get an LCD. He works at Wal-Mart in the electronics department and he says they have plasmas returned all the time for one complaint or another. He has an LCD and says it is fantastic. Just an FYI, Wal-Mart is running an IN-STORE only special this Saturday...Sanyo 42" full HD LCD 1920x1080 for $598. I love, love Sanyo TV's. My last 3 TV's have been Sanyo's. The first one, I had a plant on it and water leaked down in it and that was it for that one, but it was about 4 years old before that happened and totally my fault. The other two are 26" and 32" which we still have and use. The 26" is about 10 or 11 years old and the 32" is about 6 years old. These TV's are used on a daily basis and a lot of the time are left on for hours (kids leaving the room and not turning it off). I would absolutely buy another Sanyo. On another point, my nephew says Vizio is one flat screen they sell a lot of and very few are returned. I am very tempted to buy this Sanyo that Wal-Mart is going to have on sale...if I can only beat everyone else too it!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The measurement for these televisions is also taken on the diagonal length of the screen?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That's correct. The 42" is a good size.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3244166;
    Lucy, the cable hooked directly into the VCR not straight to the TV, right? If it is and you still only record tv channel 3, I'd first try contacting the customer support for the VCR before going to the lengths of getting a cable box. It doesn't seem likely that anyone would make a VCR that only will record on one channel. (But stranger things have happened. )
    I think that's exactly what they've done, based on my internet research. It would be easier to figure out if Mom had a newer TV, because the fact that things have to go through this modulator is confusing me. I think the cable is hooked into the modulator, which is hooked into the VCR and the TV both.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

OK, now I have a new problem. According to the Directv website, in order to get the full potential of the TV's HD and get HD service, I have to update my satelite, DVR and some other thing. Bleh. Not sure if I am willing to do all that. My DVR's are fairly new, with one being only 3 months old. I was kind of under the impression that I just had to pay for the HD service and the signal for the HD channels were sent through the satelite I already have.

FORT Newbie

Melitta, DirecTV will often upgrade your equipment and your satellite for free if you renew your two year commitment. If the DVR's are newer, then you are probably leasing them from DirecTV as opposed to owning them. It's possible they will offer the free upgrade on only one DVR, but your other DVR's will still work - you just won't get an HD picture on the TV they are connected to.

It's worth a call to their customer service line. Have you been a customer for a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by Keymaster;3244844;
    Melitta, DirecTV will often upgrade your equipment and your satellite for free if you renew your two year commitment. If the DVR's are newer, then you are probably leasing them from DirecTV as opposed to owning them. It's possible they will offer the free upgrade on only one DVR, but your other DVR's will still work - you just won't get an HD picture on the TV they are connected to.

It's worth a call to their customer service line. Have you been a customer for a long time?
    I have. I am even one of their "prefered customers"! lol. I did just sign a new 2 year agreement when I got my newest DVR for free. All in all we have been customers for about 12 (or maybe even more) years. I guess I will call them and see if they can offer anything. Thanks for the tip!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast