+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Help Desk

Re: Computer help desk

I think in today's electronic age they are getting better at keeping that "burn" into the screen at a minimum. I have to say though, every Dell computer monitor I have had at the office has almost always burnt something into the screen.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Re: Computer help desk

Thanks Stargazer and buglover! I really appreciate ya'lls imput!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Re: Electronics Help Desk

Melitta,

I looked up that Vizio and it's a 720p. I think if you are going to buy a 42 inch or larger plasma you might want to consider buying a 1080p. Especially, if you might buy a blu ray player in the future. We've been shopping for tvs for the past few months so that's the only reason I know anything about this.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I have a plasma. We've had it for 5 years, and never had an issue. We play video games, DVD's, etc.

Mom has a projection TV, and the quality is horrid.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    F - is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U - is for Uranium...BOMBS!
    N - is for No survivors...
    - Plankton, Spongebob Squarepants (FUN Song)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3240963;
    Melitta,

I looked up that Vizio and it's a 720p. I think if you are going to buy a 42 inch or larger plasma you might want to consider buying a 1080p. Especially, if you might buy a blu ray player in the future. We've been shopping for tvs for the past few months so that's the only reason I know anything about this.
    Thank you for pointing that out, that may be why it is at a cheaper price than some of the other TV's of the same size. Question...it says it's a 1024 x 720 resolution. What should I be looking for? Example...1024 x 1080p or 1080p x 720?

Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3241083;
    Thank you for pointing that out, that may be why it is at a cheaper price than some of the other TV's of the same size. Question...it says it's a 1024 x 720 resolution. What should I be looking for? Example...1024 x 1080p or 1080p x 720?
    I think what it would say is 1024 x 1080.

When I looked it up, I looked up the specifications and farther down it said 720p. My limited understanding is that most hd broadcasts right now are in 720p but that blu ray discs are in 1080p. You definitely want p rather than i. I'm guessing with the state of the economy there will be some screaming deals. That's why we have yet to actually pull the trigger on buying an hd tv. We keep waiting for the prices to get even better. When we were at Target talking to a salesperson, he told us that the Olevias have really good sound. They are relatively new on the market so I don't know how much of a track record they have. I've liked the Vizios I've seen. They tend to be cheaper and as a bonus are made in America.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

We bought a Vizio on the advice of friends who have one and we love it! it's easy to set up and the picture and sound are amazing.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3241099;
    We bought a Vizio on the advice of friends who have one and we love it! it's easy to set up and the picture and sound are amazing.
    Would it be too much to ask what model you have?

Mariner: I'm guessing with the state of the economy there will be some screaming deals. That's why we have yet to actually pull the trigger on buying an hd tv. We keep waiting for the prices to get even better.

I was putting this purchase off also, but hubby really has been working extra hard and never asks for anything. When he made the comment about the "flat screen on the wall" I knew it would be the perfect gift to say thank you to him for all he does.

We usually get the kids many gifts for Christmas, this year (although still pricey to buy two of them) they are each getting a Nintendo DS and a game. They have been asking for them for the last two years. Since they haven't lost interest in having one, I figured one big gift each and I'm done. I can always ask family members to do the 2 for $20 games at Wal-Mart and give each kid one game.

I am just trying to figure out, do I buy during the Black Friday Ads or wait and see if the stores will bring the prices down even farther the closer to Christmas it gets.

I have a TV/VCR question I hope someone can help with. Or at least verify that my guesses are correct.

My mother has bought a DVD/VCR combo machine. The idea was that she could use it to copy old home videos onto DVD, and also continue to tape things off the TV. However, we can't get it to work. It will only record channel 3 off the television.

I did some googling, and it sounds like most DVD/VCR combo recorders do not have a TV tuner, and that without this tuner the VCR cannot recognize any channels? The explanation I read (and it was from some yahoo-answers type site, which is why I'm leery) is that putting digital tuners in the machines would make the VCR/DVD combo too expensive for most consumers, and since the digital switch is coming up, there's no point in making machines with old analog tuners.

So I want to know if anyone knows if that's correct, and also, how to make this dang machine work. Mom has cable, but not a cable box. In fact, her TV is so old, she had to get a modulator (from the cable company) to plug in the inputs for the DVD/VCR, because her TV had nowhere for those plugs. My understanding is that we could buy an external tuner, or get a cable box, and that either of those should work. I assume I'd hook the cable box into the VCR/DVD, hook that into the modulator, and the modulator into the TV.

Anyway, so, if anyone has experience with these combo machines and can help, I'd appreciate it. And also, this is a warning to anyone else looking to buy these things -- read carefully to make sure it can do what you want it to do!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Plasma or LCD television. That is the question. I read something that indicated that the LCDs are what they are selling the most of these days. Does anyone know for sure?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast