+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Walker Lindh

John Walker Lindh

Read this article HERE

Here is part of the story. To read the entire article, clcik the link above

AP) - John Walker Lindh, whose discovery as a U.S.-born Taliban fighter startled the nation, received a 20-year sentence Friday after condemning Osama bin Laden and his terrorist network during a sobbing, halting plea for forgiveness. In a 20-minute statement, Lindh expressed remorse for joining the Taliban. "I understand why so many Americans were angry when I was first discovered in Afghanistan. I realize that many still are, but I hope that with time and understanding, their feelings will change." .....
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I just have to wonder how long he will survive. I read the article and it makes no mention of whether or not he will be in the general population.
    I can't see him lasting long.

***For the record: I'm not trying to start a political debate here. Just curious on peoples thoughts on his sentence. If a debate breaks out, please be respectful of everyones opinions Thanks***
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

labtech
    I'm with you Cali, I don't see him lasting long in prison or really anywhere that he is with Americans. I think he should of got a life sentence but then again they didn't ask my opinion.

I think they're still deciding where he'll be incarcerated. The judge wants him close to his family. At least that's the last I heard, but I haven't read that article.

If he is left in Gen Pop his 20yr sentence will be a life sentence. My bet is that he is kept seperate and then mysteriously dies somewhere along the way.....maybe by anthrax related complications or something.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Unless he's segregated he won't last.

He got a plea because the Govt was reluctant to go to trial. Not because they wouldn't get a conviction on most counts but because they (Govt) would have had te reveal a lot of classified stuff.

They say he'll do about 17 years, and be out around age 37.

My bet is he does not live that long.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

agentcarver
    Agreed...

I'm not surprised that sex offenders and people who are put into jail for doing nasty things to kids (Not just sex, abuse, etc.) barely make it through year one... This thing will kill him with guilt and if (and when) he makes it out, he will by lynched, if not murdered in the dead of night. IF he goes for parole, which is a stoopid thing to do, he will be killed sooner rather than later... Better to serve out the entire term.

I think the sentence was pretty much fair for what he was charged with.If it had proved to be that he participated actively in the prison uprising where the CIA officer was killed then he should have gotten the death penalty.

I agree that i don't think he will ever see any real freedom in his future.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

+ Reply to Thread