+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

Re: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3222735;
    I could be a recluse for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy (as long as I could still come here).
    Me too. I like nothing more than to be at home with a cat or two, a good book and maybe once in awhile a visit from my husband. I absolutely do not mind being alone.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3220969;
    My problem is that I would want the temperature to never go below 50, but also never go over 80, and preferably not over 75! So I'd need at least 2 retirement homes. One in Alaska, around Seward, or in Forks, Washington, possibly Ucluelet BC. For the winter, I'm, not sure--maybe Tucson, or the South Texas Gulf Coast.
    We are beginning to think about this seriously so thought I'd bring it back to the front page...
    queenb you are describing the San Diego area, as long as you live within 5 miles or so of the coast. Exactly where we'd retire if we could afford it, and there are great restaurants, lots of movie theaters, and assorted other cultural perks. However, if you go a few miles north it is somewhat (only somewhat) cheaper...but of course you are further from a city.
    We lived there for a year once, in the La Jolla area, and the temperature cycled around 70 all year round....cooler at night, a little, but only a little, warmer in daytime, dry heat. People close to the coast don't have AC at all. If you go inland it is basically desert with irrigation, so much hotter.
    Our current plan is to spend spring and early summer and fall where we are now, when it is nice there, go to a family place in eastern Oregon in July and August (cold at night, warm in day, dry heat), and winters rent a furnished apt. in various warm places like Tucson. A different one each year unless we fall in love with someplace.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

St. Lucia. The people were fabulous, the weather was awesome and lots of culture.

or New York City in a schi-schi apartment overlooking central park west with a cabin in Vermont for skiing and a house on the beach in Maryland.

Money's no object, right?

Well since I am retiring in 12 days, 2 hours/27 sec (not counting though) I will be reitiring to a place that is cold in the winter, hot in the summer, no trees, lots of cows, lots of heat...smells real good, I am told it smells like money, mine does not smell that way.
    In my own rose colored glasses world, it is 76 degrees year round, luscious green vegetation, gorgeous men, I am thin in my bikini by the pool.
    There's no place like home!

captain, sounds like you have one of those big digital count-down clocks.

My dream retirement... a patch of land on an island where hubby and I could live off the grid. More realistic... a little log cabin on a lake here in TN, or maybe a teeny-tiny condo in Kihei, Maui.
    remember to play

This is a good question. I would retire to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Aruba Or the Grand Cayman islands. Been there several times on cruises and those were my kind of places. Hot sun, sand and blue ocean. Loved it!
    Happy retirement Captain!

Since money is no object, I would need three homes. One, the one I'm in, I love my little home, and I suppose its just because I would need a sense of stability, this is where I've lived all my life. I'm close to boarders, family, its easy to fly out of Buffalo, or go any of the big cities like Toronto or go south of the boarder to the Carolina's Mrytle Beach, all within driving distance. I'd live here, spring and fall. However, I despise our winters, so therefore, secondly I need a condo on Ft Myers Beach, I've vacationed there for years, know my way around, lots of shopping restaurants, not to mention the beautifull beaches. I would live there during the winter months and have all the conveniences once can ask for.

Thirdly, I went to Italy this past summer, had not been there for 35 years. I truly loved it there and would live there during the summer months, maybe May to September. In Italy, I would travel from north to south, absoring the food culture and live a life of simple means in the countryside.

I think I need more months in a year.

Last edited by GuardianAngel; 02-25-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3840160;
    We are beginning to think about this seriously so thought I'd bring it back to the front page...
    queenb you are describing the San Diego area, as long as you live within 5 miles or so of the coast. Exactly where we'd retire if we could afford it, and there are great restaurants, lots of movie theaters, and assorted other cultural perks. However, if you go a few miles north it is somewhat (only somewhat) cheaper...but of course you are further from a city.
    We lived there for a year once, in the La Jolla area, and the temperature cycled around 70 all year round....cooler at night, a little, but only a little, warmer in daytime, dry heat. People close to the coast don't have AC at all. If you go inland it is basically desert with irrigation, so much hotter.
    Our current plan is to spend spring and early summer and fall where we are now, when it is nice there, go to a family place in eastern Oregon in July and August (cold at night, warm in day, dry heat), and winters rent a furnished apt. in various warm places like Tucson. A different one each year unless we fall in love with someplace.
    I grew up in Redondo Beach and it's temperate all year round. You never need a winter coat or more than a fan for a few days in summer. You do get fog by the coast, though.

I have to say, about the original post in this thread, those HGTV shows about international travel amaze me. I can't imagine leaving all my family, selling my house, and moving to some housing development in Panama. It might be lovely but I would miss my community and family being so far away.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3840160;
    queenb you are describing the San Diego area, as long as you live within 5 miles or so of the coast. .
    Oh...NO, NO, NO, I wasn't !!!!!!!!!! Maybe temperature wise, but that's the only thing I can stand about the SoCal coastal area--I never, ever want to go there again, to the point that if I did decide go back for a day of tourmaline hunting out below Palm Springs (hate that place, also) I will fly to Las Vegas and drive in the back way, do my rock huntin' and leave! And probably won't do that.
    I know an awful lot of people love it, but there's nothing for me there. Different strokes, you know.
    When I finish scjhool, though I am serious about trying to find a vet's office I can work at late Spring through September only in Alaska; it shouldn't be that hard as there are so many extra people there in the summer.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I want to spend my winters in our house here in Arizona.

But I've always said that if I came into a lot of money, I'd buy a flat in London in a modern, quiet building. So much to do, so much to see, great public transportation, and a hop, skip, and a jump from mainland Europe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast