+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

Re: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

We are seriously considering retiring to Ireland as we just love it over there. Still have land in the west owned by my family and a lot of relatives and friends all over the place. It could be a great starting point for traveling all over Europe and it really wouldn't be too drastic of a trip back to the US if necessary.

But I do think I would miss my kids as I don't think they would want to move over there. So I could see us going over for so many months out of the year and then coming back here for the late summer/early fall in the Adirondacks. Maybe the kids could come over for Christmastime to Ireland, because I couldn't spend a Christmas without them around, no matter what!

Hubby would be the only one who would have to get Irish citizenship, since the kiddies and I have dual citizenship. So that would not be too hard to do.

I think it would depend on where my kids are. I would love to have a summer place on Vancouver Island or the Okanagan region of BC on the lake. For winters I would go to a warmer climate probably somewhere in Mexico. I have consider Buenos Aires since I love it there but it is a little far. As for the why part, I think because hubby and I are comfortable in Spanish we are comfortable living in Latin places and find the culture very warm. BC was our birth place and I love the climate in the Spring and Summer there. Vancouver Island is a beautiful spot and the Okanagan is one of the only desert regions of Canada that can be hot in early Spring and I love the peaches, cherries etc that grow there. It, too is a lovely spot. I'm all about the dry heat.
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 10-23-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Man, I'm feeling silly wanting to be in bfe, but you all are welcome to come and visit and possibly help me with the quilting!

FORT Fan

I want to live somewhere with a temperate climate (Minneapolis gets reeeeely cold), I want to live where I can see the ocean and walk on the beach, and I NEED to live somewhere cheap! My kids would visit wherever I go, so maybe a desert island? With books and cable.

I spent a day at Niagara On The Lake quite a few years ago - I'd like a summer home there. For winter, I think I'd stay in Southern California.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My first thought when I saw this thread was NEW YORK CITY!!!!! I love that place...never a dull moment and always something to do or eat!

Then, I got to thinking that I'd like to be the "crazy cat lady" and to do that I need to live out in the country so maybe I'd spend 6 months in the city and 6 months out in the country!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3222023;
    Man, I'm feeling silly wanting to be in bfe, but you all are welcome to come and visit and possibly help me with the quilting!
    You can live next to me--the places I listed are bfe, if that means what I think (bum- *%&$ Egypt), not the big cities in the area (well, Tucson is a city, but I wouldn't live in town but in the bfe area surrounding it).
    We can play with animals, quilt, eat, whatever. My very ideal spot would also be quite a few acres so I could have an assortment of animals, a fishin' pond, a pasture, garden, and the rest "wildlife habitat."
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb-EXACTLY! And yes, (bfe)that's what it means to me, anyway. I love people, but need my "quiet time" to rejuvenate. I never thought I'd say this, but by then I probably will be ready for another dog (or ten). And my cat allergy seems to be lifting a little, so maybe a kitty or two.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3222644;
    I love people, but need my "quiet time" to rejuvenate.
    Oddly, I am not a people person at all, not remotely, have no social life to speak of and like it that way, but I would go nuts not living in the city. Because Mr. Rattus likes to indulge in some serious solitude occasionally, I do cave and rent a cottage for a week, but that week in the woods just bores me silly, even with the ten books I bring with me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I could be a recluse for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy (as long as I could still come here).
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast