+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

Re: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

We are seriously considering retiring to Ireland as we just love it over there. Still have land in the west owned by my family and a lot of relatives and friends all over the place. It could be a great starting point for traveling all over Europe and it really wouldn't be too drastic of a trip back to the US if necessary.

But I do think I would miss my kids as I don't think they would want to move over there. So I could see us going over for so many months out of the year and then coming back here for the late summer/early fall in the Adirondacks. Maybe the kids could come over for Christmastime to Ireland, because I couldn't spend a Christmas without them around, no matter what!

Hubby would be the only one who would have to get Irish citizenship, since the kiddies and I have dual citizenship. So that would not be too hard to do.

I think it would depend on where my kids are. I would love to have a summer place on Vancouver Island or the Okanagan region of BC on the lake. For winters I would go to a warmer climate probably somewhere in Mexico. I have consider Buenos Aires since I love it there but it is a little far. As for the why part, I think because hubby and I are comfortable in Spanish we are comfortable living in Latin places and find the culture very warm. BC was our birth place and I love the climate in the Spring and Summer there. Vancouver Island is a beautiful spot and the Okanagan is one of the only desert regions of Canada that can be hot in early Spring and I love the peaches, cherries etc that grow there. It, too is a lovely spot. I'm all about the dry heat.
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 10-23-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Man, I'm feeling silly wanting to be in bfe, but you all are welcome to come and visit and possibly help me with the quilting!

FORT Fan

I want to live somewhere with a temperate climate (Minneapolis gets reeeeely cold), I want to live where I can see the ocean and walk on the beach, and I NEED to live somewhere cheap! My kids would visit wherever I go, so maybe a desert island? With books and cable.

I spent a day at Niagara On The Lake quite a few years ago - I'd like a summer home there. For winter, I think I'd stay in Southern California.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My first thought when I saw this thread was NEW YORK CITY!!!!! I love that place...never a dull moment and always something to do or eat!

Then, I got to thinking that I'd like to be the "crazy cat lady" and to do that I need to live out in the country so maybe I'd spend 6 months in the city and 6 months out in the country!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3222023;
    Man, I'm feeling silly wanting to be in bfe, but you all are welcome to come and visit and possibly help me with the quilting!
    You can live next to me--the places I listed are bfe, if that means what I think (bum- *%&$ Egypt), not the big cities in the area (well, Tucson is a city, but I wouldn't live in town but in the bfe area surrounding it).
    We can play with animals, quilt, eat, whatever. My very ideal spot would also be quite a few acres so I could have an assortment of animals, a fishin' pond, a pasture, garden, and the rest "wildlife habitat."
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb-EXACTLY! And yes, (bfe)that's what it means to me, anyway. I love people, but need my "quiet time" to rejuvenate. I never thought I'd say this, but by then I probably will be ready for another dog (or ten). And my cat allergy seems to be lifting a little, so maybe a kitty or two.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3222644;
    I love people, but need my "quiet time" to rejuvenate.
    Oddly, I am not a people person at all, not remotely, have no social life to speak of and like it that way, but I would go nuts not living in the city. Because Mr. Rattus likes to indulge in some serious solitude occasionally, I do cave and rent a cottage for a week, but that week in the woods just bores me silly, even with the ten books I bring with me.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken .

I could be a recluse for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy (as long as I could still come here).
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast