+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

Re: Retire Anywhere in World -Where and Why

Mr. C and I have always planned to retire early - by the time we are 50 - and live aboard a boat and cruise the islands. His parents lived aboard their 42 ft. sailboat for 20 years and cruised for about five or six of those years, and someday that will hopefully be our life as well. We had a 30 ft. sailboat for the longest and recently sold it, and now we're looking for a bigger boat with more living space inside. We are seriously considering selling our house now, buying a boat, and just living on it until we are ready to retire and untie the lines, and begin riding the waves to whatever Caribbean island tickles our fancy at that moment!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

I think I would want to stay where I am. I love my little trailer and the neighborhood is quiet. I would have to add central air, though. Swamp coolers just don't cut it in 100+ degree weather.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Fun thread! If I could ever afford it, I'd head straight to Vancouver Island and buy a place on the coast where I could have a deck overlooking the ocean and be able to see the killer whales jumping in the water and the seals on the beach. I know those places exist because I did stay at a family-owned B&B there some years back, and I've yearned to go back ever since.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

And, AJane, you might have a Queen for a neighbor (Ucluelet is on the VI coast)! I didn't see any Orca when I went there, but did see a lot of Gray whales and Humpbacks, also sea lions and seals! And, the fishing off V.I. can't be beat.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3220969;
    My problem is that I would want the temperature to never go below 50, but also never go over 80, and preferably not over 75! So I'd need at least 2 retirement homes. One in Alaska, around Seward, or in Forks, Washington, possibly Ucluelet BC. For the winter, I'm, not sure--maybe Tucson, or the South Texas Gulf Coast.
    I'm liking your weather rules. Forks - you'd be near Bella and Edward! (Twilight reference for the uninitiated).
    I have no idea where I'd like to retire. In one sense it be easiest to stay where I am and where I know how "things work." But, really, I'd love to be by the ocean in some place like Ireland or New Zealand.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3221070;
    And, AJane, you might have a Queen for a neighbor (Ucluelet is on the VI coast)! I didn't see any Orca when I went there, but did see a lot of Gray whales and Humpbacks, also sea lions and seals! And, the fishing off V.I. can't be beat.
    Apparently we were very lucky in seeing the killer whales - we were checking out a resort in Sooke, and all of a sudden there was a commotion in the restaurant we were in because the whales were sighted. Everyone went rushing to the windows and outside to snap pictures. It was incredible to see them in the wild like that - I actually get all teary thinking about it, it touched me so much. My uncle did retire to Victoria just a couple of years ago - I'd settle for that. I don't fish, though, but I'm more than happy to eat whatever someone catches and prepares for me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I want to retire in old farmhouse in Tuscany. I would hire someone to run the farm for me, fresh produce! And I would have as many dogs as I could fit in a barn.

MRD

And how much visiting can we do between retirement places???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3221456;
    And how much visiting can we do between retirement places???
    That's what I was thinking!!! I want to see ALL the places we have mentioned and visit fellow FORTers.

I think that's one reason shows like "The Amazing Race" are so popular, it's all the different places in the world that we've probably heard of but never visited and we get to visit vicariously through the contestants. Well, that and all the drama between the couples!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

MRD

I'd retire to Victoria, BC if it wasn't so cold. I was there at the end of May a few years ago and it was 50 degrees. I still have the jacket I bought there cause I was cold. But it was an absolutely gorgeous city. LOVED it immensely.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast