+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk

As most of you know, my 7 year old grandson has leukemia. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society conducts a walkathon fundraiser every year to collect funds to aid with research. One of my assistant managers is putting together a team from my restaurant to participate.
    About Light The Night - Light The Night
    The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Light The Night Walk is an annual event to raise funds for cures. It’s the nation’s night to pay tribute and bring hope to thousands of patients and their families.

Funds raised through Light The Night Walk support the work of hundreds of the world’s best and brightest researchers in their search for better therapies and cures for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.

Anyone can take part—children, adults and seniors are all welcome. This is a casual Walk with no fitness requirements. Not only will you be helping find cures, but there are incentives that can be earned for different fundraising levels. Learn more about Walk incentives.

Now in it's 10th year, Light The Night is celebrating a Decade of Difference. During this time:

* Nearly half a million patients and their caretakers have called the LLS Information Resource Center and received critical information about blood cancers, therapy options and issues surrounding treatment and survival.
    * Nearly $40 million was disbursed to patients through the LLS Patient Assistance program to help them get the treatment they needed to fight their cancer.
    * Over 100,000 patients and family members found comfort and hope through LLS First Connection and Family Support Groups.
    * LLS granted $425 million to more than 400 scientists searching for cures and improved treatments for patients.
    * LLS funding contributed to the development of a host of new drugs that are affecting patient survival and quality of life.
    * LLS-funded researchers began working in novel areas that hold great promise for finding cures and better treatments including new, less toxic stem cell transplants, immunotherapies and other targeted therapies.
    * Our Advocacy Network has successfully supported pro-patient legislation that will:
    o Help advance blood cancer research
    o Extend Medicare coverage to include oral anti-cancer drugs
    We are getting a very late start on this as the walk is this Saturday night.
    If any of you would like to contribute you may do so here.
    I can't thank you enough for the support you have shown Zac here. I'm sure that the continued prayers and positive thoughts that you have sent his way have helped him thus far and will continue to help him in his battle against this deadly disease.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 10-15-2008 at 06:50 AM.

Re: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk

Consider it done.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Me too! I went and donated a little for you Unk!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Thanks to all of you that have donated. The support that I have received from all of you here has meant so much to my family and me. I know that some of you have collected toys, games, etc. and donated them to your local hospitals in honor of Zac. The number of prayer chains that Zac is included in across the country is unbelievable. So to all of you that that have sent PM's, included my family in your prayer chains, sent your positive thoughts our way, kept us in your thoughts and prayers, I thank you. I'm sure it's helping.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Let us know how this went Unk.........I hope there was a GREAT turnout with lots of money raised!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

We started collecting for this on Tuesday of this week and ended up with $985 so far. We collected at the restaurant and my asst. manager had his own page set up to record that money. My buddy Rube who helps me with my Children's Hospital fund raising also collected some money at one of his car shows today and showed up to walk with me tonight in support of Zac. Rube is 81 years old and has a bad knee and still walked the mile and a half with me tonight, God love him. We had balloons with lights in them to carry.

It was quite emotional for most of us. There was over 6,000 people there walking. Next year we're going to do it up right with a big Team Zac.

Here's the walk as we started.

Once again, thank all of you for for the support you've given me and Zac.

I can imagine it was quite emotional for you all. You look great Unk and what a nice thing for your friend Rube to show up and walk too. Great job in raising money for such a worthy cause.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

I'm late, but I'm in.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Unklescott, my kids school collected pennies for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society last month. They raised almost $1700. You and Zac are in our prayers.
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

That's fantastic. Thank you again everyone. The Columbus chapter raised $550,000 in 2008 through the Light The Night walk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast