+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: What does my dream mean?

FORT Fan

Re: What does my dream mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I had a horrible nightmare a few nights ago. I don't want to go into details, but it really unnerved me. I had to get up and read/watch tv before I could get back to sleep. I never have nightmares and this one felt like a truly evil presence was intruding. How do others deal with nightmares like that?
    I think most of us know that feeling.

One of the things I do is to tell myself in my dream that I am only dreaming and that I am waking up now.

And then to dispel the leftover "Bad" feelings I try to read something light and if possible inspirational. Or watch a short tv show that is like that.

The "Trick" is to get your mind thinking about something more positive than the dream, to replace the negative thoughts and feelings with more positive ones.

And if you find yourself thinking about the dream just tell yourself "That was only a dream and I do not have to accept a dream as reality. I am in controll of my thoughts and feelings." And say this before you go to sleep too. ("I am in control of my thoughrts and feelings" ) And remember to keep it in the present tense ("I do have control over my dreams and my feelings") and to also say "I have positive and pleasant dreams." All these positive messages when repeated night after night should keep most nightmares at bay or at the least reduce their impact on you.

We do have a lot of control over our dreams. We just have to be aware of it and use it.
    cablejockey likes this.

FORT Fan

Gutmutter: some people even suggest topics for their dreams before they go to sleep. "I dream about my fiancee" or "I dream about a great trip to Paris."

If one does that night after night the suggestion often starts to come through in dreams.

I often script my dreams when they start by saying what the dream that is starting is going to contain. That's kind of an 'advanced' technique but I have been able to do it by taking conrol over my dreams by starting out in the ways I suggested to you above.

If you want more personalized suggestions or want to discuss this technique in more depth PM me and let me know here that you are PMing me.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Gutmutter: some people even suggest topics for their dreams before they go to sleep. "I dream about my fiancee" or "I dream about a great trip to Paris."

If one does that night after night the suggestion often starts to come through in dreams.
    Not for me.

Usually I lately have dreamt about people who in real life I am not happy with, or inappropriate things.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Not for me.

Usually I lately have dreamt about people who in real life I am not happy with, or inappropriate things.
    Are you saying before you go to sleep who you want to dream about?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Nebula View Post
    Are you saying before you go to sleep who you want to dream about?
    Well I too keep hoping I dream about something in particular, or someone, before I fall asleep, but I don't. Instead it's always the worse option.

I had a pretty bizarre dream last night though. Another reality show one but this was just weird.
    So I was watching Fear Factor, and one of the stunts was having to stand under some shower for a certain amount of time. But of course, it wasn't a regular shower, it was something white coming out instead. The host then says that the shower is "supposed to sound like vomiting after eating skunk" and that "not many people can listen to it".

Like, what the hell?

I'm guessing the skunk part came from those jelly beans I posted in another thread a while ago. Don't know about the rest.

FORT Fan

Well I too keep hoping I dream about something in particular, or someone, before I fall asleep, but I don't. Instead it's always the worse option.

I had a pretty bizarre dream last night though. Another reality show one but this was just weird.
    So I was watching Fear Factor, and one of the stunts was having to stand under some shower for a certain amount of time. But of course, it wasn't a regular shower, it was something white coming out instead. The host then says that the shower is "supposed to sound like vomiting after eating skunk" and that "not many people can listen to it".

Like, what the hell?

I'm guessing the skunk part came from those jelly beans I posted in another thread a while ago. Don't know about the rest.
    Johnny, I understand what you're saying but our brains are very "literal." You have to actually verbalize it and tell your brain what to dream about. And it needs to be in the present tense ("I dream about....) and with no negatives (Do NOT say "I don't want to dream about X" because the brain does not recognize negatives and will think you're saying that you DO want to dream about "X.")

And keep saying the same thing for at least a week if not longer. Different brains respond differently in terms of how much time it takes.

It's kind of fun if that's something you're interested in.

BTW remember to add "I remember my dreans when I wake up."
    JohnnyK likes this.

I did a LOT of dream work once upon a time. My funniest experience was when I was reading a book about chakras and the way to script dreams was to use the blue chakra in your throat to "contact" the subconscious. I did that before going to sleep and woke up thinking I was choking on one of my blue contact lenses. When I read the next paragraph in the book later the next day, it said to be careful how you word your prompts because the subconscious loves puns.
    One other time I had a very serious question that I asked before going to sleep and woke up with the answer that turned out to be incredibly right. I'm talking a major concern I could have taken action on, but was assured was right the way it was. My subconscious used a metaphor, but I was very clear on the intention of the message.
    Count your blessings!

Well, I'm still confused about my last dream. Any reactions? Thoughts?

Like, what the hell?

Sometimes a dream really is just your brain re-hashing things... sort of like a mental collage - trying to make it make sense. I mean, really - how do skunk jelly beans make any kind of sense?
    Count your blessings!

I'm not sure.

And the shower which was supposed to sound like "vomiting" just sounded like a regular shower...

This dream I'll remember for a while.

+ Reply to Thread