+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: What does my dream mean?

Analyst

madbanana's Dream 2 or "Dream 5"
    I have to say Wynd is a first-rate dream analyst. I think she easily rivals Freud, who is an overrated hotshot (though I do have respect for his Totem and Taboo). To add to Wynd's analysis, I'd say that the ultimate anxiety over an enemy's actions is that they'd do something that you couldn't fix or turn back (in the adult world, maybe the enemy leads to your being fired from a job). In adolescence it's really important (even though we like to think that it's really not that important at all) to look good and pretty, and grape juice stains don't come out! So, perhaps the fear is that a rival will somehow damage your chance to look good, or that she'll somehow make you look bad. A white dress is kind of like a symbol of an angelic person or someone "good," so perhaps she wants to make you look bad, not in the beauty sense but in the dignity sense. Though in real life she could be harmless, the dream could reveal an anxiety that someone who hates you could do something vindictive.

The teacher keeps you from learning by tearing up your notes. So the dream covers all levels of anxiety at school: looking pretty, being good, getting a good education, being favored/not favored by a teacher or student.

I don't think anxiety dreams predict what could happen in life. They just seem to clue you in on all your worries and worst-case-scenarios.

I love this thread...I've always loved picking things apart & look for meaning (short stories & dreams in particular) hehe

Let's see here...

Analyst
    Dream 6

Rob of Survivor Amazon was my boyfriend.
    *ducks*

Yes, this truly happened. I'd include the often used vomit "smilie," but don't want to forever damage my dream self. We got along really well in the dream. He was very nice. We lived together in a...trailer in the woods. One day we woke up, after sleeping on one of those styrofoam-mattressed modular trailer beds, and started breakfast. He was bound by legal contract to not tell me about the show, but that morning I started up conversation about Survivor. He seemed testy and irritated that I would even ask him about Survivor. And he hinted that I would only want to go out with him because he had been on TV. If that was the case, he said, he would want to save himself the shame; I should dump him now. He said he genuinely wanted to be accepted for the Real Rob. I was puzzled, because in the dream I really liked him, though it was true that I couldn't separate him from the person he was on TV.

Seriously, folks, Rob does nothing for me in real life. Please do not tease me too much.
    Analysis?

First of all I think it's natural to dream about Rob & survivor since it's a hot topic at the moment, on this board & on our minds as Survivor is approaching it's finale & we're all excited & wondering who's gonna win. So I think I can reassure you that ROB persae is a key person in the dream, he's just a MASK you put on the person who's really in the dream ..... not a subconsciosly secret crush on Rob. lol.

Analysis? Well... I remember analysing another dream before where there was something about change, about changing yourself somehow and about the "old you" holding the "new you" back... I think this dream is in the same realm.

I have no clue what kind of change or whatever is going on of course, but ... whatever change you were "hesitant" or concerned about before, is taking place now or has taken place already in your life.

You are happy with it... you get along with your new you, or whatever new thing/change/episode happened in your life, but you yourself or someone else isn't thrilled about the change?
    They liked it the way it used to be.... but you want to be accepted for who you are right now.
    Someone (or you yourself) want you to change back, but you want to go forward & move on with your life in the direction you're headed?

It could also be the other way around, YOU were happier the way you were before but OTHER people like it the way it is now.
    and you want people to like you for you, take it or leave it?
    Let's say the change is dieting.... and you dont wanna diet anymore...so people will have to accept you for who you are... Or the change was in hair color...but you liked it better the way it used to be... and wanna change back?

Whatever it is, follow your own heart & your own desires.... it's your own life, you run it, nobody else. :-)

I'm probably just babling. lol. That's kinda what I read from it anyways, it's fun to do this with people I dont know at all do see if I'm at least somewhat right or way off base hehe
    Sicne I have no clue what's going on in your life... =)

(so I'm probably way off lol... let me know... whats the change by the way? Now I'm curious. Unless its too personal of course) )
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Wyndemere, you really are the Dream Goddess. You are right on target. I really have had a transformation of sorts--not much in looks, but in perspective. Seriously, you're great at this.

Oh, and I should really add that I didn't mean to single Rob out as a bad guy. I think I considered the vomit smilie as a defense mechanism, as in "I hope the FoRTers don't make fun of me!" Though I wouldn't date him, I think Rob is hilarious!!! I do not equate him with grossness at all, aside from the general patina of Amazon grime that all the contestants have.

wooo, well I'm glad I'm kidna right on target, its surprising to me too since I dont know you at all or what's going on in your life lol.

I think Rob overall is in a "negative" light because of all the backstabbing he's been doing so he was probably the face of negativity in your dream.

Its funny how people show up in your dreams randomly... lol

Analyst

I love dream analysis! I have always had a real fascination with my dreams .. I dream vividly - and in techni-color.

Most of the interpretation tools I've read over the years have been deeply rooted in symbols important to psychologists ... but I picked up a book a few years ago I really enjoy - "Understanding the Dreams you Dream" by Ira Milligan.

The book draws on scripture to define symbols.

If you'll permit, I'll outline the definitions of some of the symbols detailed in the dreams in this thread. I am not as good at analysis as Wynd, but maybe these will provide food for thought.

Kitchen - Heart: intent, motive, plans, passion, ambition, affliction

Shoulder - Support, bearer, authority, responsibility, stubborn

Movie (picture) - Memory: conscience, past experience, circumstance, imagination, a message within itself

seven - Complete: All, finished, rest

Four - Reign: Rule, kingdom, creation, world

Friend - Self: The character or circumstances of one's friend reveals something about oneself.

Pregnancy - In process: desire, anticipation, expectancy

13 - Rebel: rebellion, revolution, rejection

Twins (baby) - New: beginning, new idea, new work, dependant, helpless, innocent

trailer - Temporary: Place, situation, relationship

white - pure

$300 - conformity accepted/rejected

Interesting, Bumpkin!

I like what appears to be both your and Wynd's idea that a friend in a dream could represent the self.

Wynd: actually, I don't think Rob was pictured in a negative light in the dream. We just had a puzzling conversation. He could certainly represent a part of me not willing to put up with people who don't accept the "real" me. And that's kind of ironic coming from Rob (or Dream Rob), who hasn't been totally forthcoming with people. Perhaps I'm concerned about the ways I might have deluded myself/others? So rather than having a totally honest-seeming person in the dream, instead Rob is featured. The one thing about Rob that's cool is that he at least knows when he's honest and not, rather than thinking this game show is about personal relationships.

My boyfriend and I broke up this past Saturday. For three years it was a game, and when I was ready for it not to be a game, he said no. Perhaps that's connected to the dream? Oh, and I also lopped off two feet of hair (it's now chin-length) and bought a pickup w/ canopy. New me, huh?
    ----

Hey, folks! Feel free to submit your dreams--they don't have to be related to Reality TV. Let us take a stab at providing insight into your life (or at least let us pretend to have insights).

Dreamer

This one has been bugging me for awhile - and I can't quite figure out what it means.

It's less about a specific dream, than a theme that has been running through sporadic dreams for ... well, several years now. Well, now that I think about it, the theme has been going on for about 7-10 years. Weird.

In my dreams I am in my house. Oddly, I always dream of my *old* house, that I lived in previously. (I moved in 1995, 1996, 1998, and 2001. Last three, same town, different houses). Lately, my husband and I have been contemplating a job transfer to another state.

I'm in my house, and suddenly I discover a hidden room in the house. Imagine living in a house and never realizing this room existed. Once, it was a trapdoor I had never noticed before and I crawled into this whole other living area in the house.

Another time there was an old woman and a young woman living in the hidden room(s) and they were frightened when they saw me and tried to run away. (the only time people have been in the rooms). I couldn't catch them. I didn't recognize them.

Otherwise, I just find boxes and furniture and things. Sometimes it's *my* things. other times there are things in the room I've never seen before.

Usually I approach the rooms with fear (the unknown) or fright (strange people living in my house! how?).

Oddly, this week I've had the dream again, but this time the hidden room was in the home I live in *now*. It was an odd departure to the long-running theme. Because it is recent, I can remember it more clearly:

The door to this room just appeared. It was a simple bedroom. I was delighted to find it, because we desperately need a 4th bedroom in our home, and haven't gotten around to converting the garage to living space.

In the room was a bed - and I remember saying, "I was wondering where we put that." It had an old headboard/footboard on it that I thought we had sold at a yard sale. There were boxes and other items in there I hadn't seen in some time. I thought they were in storage.

The other departure from the theme this time (I think), I've always been alone in the house when I discovered these rooms. This time, my husband was with me and I wasn't as afraid as before. It was like, "Oh great - now all the kids will have their own room!"

Because this is a long-running theme, I feel like there is a message for me that I am not quite able to grasp. It really troubles me that I can't unlock these keys.

Funny, amazing - as I have typed this, two thoughts have sprung to mind which may help the analyst. (hmm .. finally even writing this down has 'unlocked' the following)

One: I do tend to think about things in terms of my heart being a house, with many rooms. Some are open, public, some are guarded, some are locked.

Then I think of the old saw about doors (of opportunity) opening, closing.

Two: Given some of the difficult and painful challenges I have faced in my lifetime, I know that my emotional survival has been dependent on my ability to compartmentalize. In fact, during a speech I give sometimes which discusses a particular trial, I say, " .. and I had to reopen a dusty box I had packed away in the corner of my heart ... "

I keep grasping little corners of the message. Then it slips away. I think I am too close to the picture to see it clearly.

Insight anyone?

(feeling velly vulnerable .... woooo )

Analyst

Dream 7
    Bumpkin, really inspiring post

It's fascinating that you liken the house to your heart, being that you're an open-hearted person. You keep finding new rooms there. Now I have that song in my head: "How can you mend a brooooooken heart...?"

Carl Jung considered the house, in dreams, to be representative of the soul. So the basement features the deep, dark lurking secrets, the hearth the family, and so forth. To read that you're finding new rooms in your house, my first instinct is that there is an undiscovered part of your self. It lies dormant and waits. The door isn't locked, so the room is accessible to you. But, it's been hidden from plain view for some time. Now that your husband is on the scene when you discover it, you may sense that he's privy to this hidden side. Or, you trust him enough that, were you to discover it, you'd reveal it to him.

I'm going to leap and say that the old woman and young woman are reminders of yourself at a younger age, and a projection into the future. They represent what would happen if this part of yourself stays hidden. They fear the "you" that discovers hidden rooms, but they are trapped within the context of the Hidden Room World. It seems safe to hide there, but to have to hide means there is a lack of safety outside the room, a kind of Anne Frank theme.

My guess, then, and given how open you are currently, is that you're ready for some kind of transformation. You will have to confront a fear to get to it. Once you transform, you'll have more energy to do things and will be able to "spread out," in the way that your family members in the dream were given more room. It takes energy to hide yourself.

Discovering this Hidden You might be something you could work on with your husband, or at least keep him informed about. Since he's with you when you find the room, it might be fun to request his help. Sometimes the people closest to us see what we're hiding from ourselves, but they let us maintain the delusion.

Compartmentalization, at least in my life, has been just part of the veil weaving. When you think that areas of your life are disconnected from one another, that's a clue that you're hiding something. Sometimes you need to work on one area to prepare yourself to work on a new area. In this case, you've worked on being open-hearted and vulnerable to prepare yourself for transformation. This is just a hypothesis from the evidence you've given me, so feel free to tell me if I'm very wrong.

One more thing--here's one useful method to figuring out what's hidden from view. Think about a problem area in your life: do you feel unfulfilled or suppressed or not fully expressed in some area? If so, try to figure out what you're pretending. What do you say to yourself to keep things static? Once you've figured that out, then see what that, the thing you say to yourself, protects. (What you protect, in this case, is what you hide.)
    Last edited by Shayla; 05-10-2003 at 01:11 PM.

Wow Shayla -- that's really something.

You've given me quite a bit to digest - and I am going to step away from this and come back to it later after a bit more thought.

It's interesting how a discerning observer can point out things that were - of course - probably obvious (to anyone but me?). I read your post being struck by how much sense your interpretation made.

Analyst

I love Shayla's analysis!! That is very cool. I'm just going to add some input that came to mind when I read the dream.

It seems to me that the places you find new rooms in are places where you are comfortable and settled in.... like your old house and your current house. You get comfortable somewhere, then you discover something new and it makes you nervous because it's something you don't have control over/something unknown in an environment where you normally have full control.

I agree that the young and old woman are aspects of you, and it's not as much YOU scaring them when you enter the room, it's that you are invading the unknown space where they were comfortable before you entered, but now that you ENTERED this space they have to deal with it... (i.e YOU have to deal with it and it frightens you).
    Other times when you can't catch people, maybe those are times when you haven't been ready to confront whatever it is you're finding, you're not ready to confront this new part of your life yet, not ready to deal with the changes so you run from it.

Sometimes you find your items in there, which are items you are comfortable with and know very well .... then sometimes there are unknown items in there that are hidden from the public eye, but you're taking a peek at it.... Familiar things must be things from the past and present that you deal with and the items that aren't yours are emotions & unknown aspects of yourself that you are discovering along the way... however if they disappear, maybe it's something you're not dealing with but that appears now and then.

The last one where you're at your current house with your husband, seeing the old bed with the headboard, it seems like once again you find a hidden room in your CURRENT comfort room (maybe this house is the first one you've REALLY been comfortable in since they older house you've dreamed about before.... )
    The bed is a familiarity that you treasure and have been looking for.... you're about to make another move and it comforts you to see familiar things to hold on to while the world around you is changing yet again.

But your husband is with you so you're not as frightened.... you're letting your husband in to your secret areas, maybe you are ready to open up to him about certain things that have been difficult to talk about?
    Or if you haven't, maybe it's a sign that you CAN infact open up to him about things that have been difficult & feel comfortable with it...

The headboard that you sold at a yardsale..you had it once, but you gave it away .. now it's back. It's something familiar that you had put away, but again you are grasping to the familiar when things are changing around you.... (i.e the possible job change & move)

To put it in a concrete context (which is against my dream religion lol, cause I do like to think about the INNER interpretations of dreams, which I have above, but can't deny the current situation you are in and what it may mean on the surface....):
    It seems to me that THIS time, you're looking at your future move in a positive light, maybe previous moves have been more uncertain somehow, seems you are more comfortable with this choice that you guys are about to make.

Maybe also.... moving to another state (seeing as your past moves has been within the same city) opts the opportunity to start completely fresh somewhere, and that thought is comforting to you somehow... nobody knows you at all, you can be who you want to be ... and maybe that scares you too (i.e the hidden rooms) because it's always tough to break out of an old shell & completely find yourself .... and to BE yourself ..... because everyone around you is used to seeing you in a certain way..
    However in a new state where nobody will know you, you now have the opportunity to be who you want to be because nobody has seen you before ... yet OLD friends & acquaintances will still know the old you, but stick to who you want to be ..... dont let the past stop you from breaking in your new shell and be who you want to be in the future.....

Wow..and hour went by while analysing this hah. LOL. Interesting stuff, I dont know how I did though but ... and I probably have a lot more to say cause I can dig even deeper but I'll stop now and go get some food .... lol =)

+ Reply to Thread