+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reunions - High School or otherwise

Re: Reunions - High School or otherwise

Thank you so very much for your kind words! You are all correct. I am who I am and I'm not all that bad. I certainly didn't have the same life as others but then I wouldn't be me and have what I have today. I can say that I do like myself much better, am more genuine, and am proud of owning my little home and taking care of my kitties. I am a good daughter, sister, and sister in law, and a good friend to those who will have me.

Boy, this reunion really knocked me for a loop afterwards which I wasn't expecting. And this week, after all the hugs and laughter, everyone has gone right back to their own worlds. And just like them, I've gone right back to mine!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3210712;
    Thank you so very much for your kind words! You are all correct. I am who I am and I'm not all that bad. I certainly didn't have the same life as others but then I wouldn't be me and have what I have today. I can say that I do like myself much better, am more genuine, and am proud of owning my little home and taking care of my kitties. I am a good daughter, sister, and sister in law, and a good friend to those who will have me.

Boy, this reunion really knocked me for a loop afterwards which I wasn't expecting. And this week, after all the hugs and laughter, everyone has gone right back to their own worlds. And just like them, I've gone right back to mine!
    Exactly. We can never measure ourselves against others as we will always come up short. But when we measure ourselves against our OWN beliefs, we always measure up to them and quite well.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I just got an email requesting an address from the girl that is putting together our 20 year. I don't understand how it could already be the 20 year when I just got out of high school 5 years ago.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3211139;
    I just got an email requesting an address from the girl that is putting together our 20 year. I don't understand how it could already be the 20 year when I just got out of high school 5 years ago.

good one dag!

I got a compliment from my SO's aunt - she said, you don't look old enough to be having a 20 year reunion - you look 25 yrs old!

You just graduated at a very young age!

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3211205;
    You just graduated at a very young age!
    Yeah, that's it...I was very young.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3207001;
    And I am surprised that most of those who attended seem to remember high school as a happy, fun, bonding time they will always cherish. For I do not remember high school like that at all. For me it as stressful, lonely, and unforgiving. And after last night, that memory remains the same for me.
    My 30th reunion is coming up November 1, and I remember high school the way you do--and yet I found myself entertaining the idea of going --WHY??? Fortunately, I snapped back to reality, and will not be attending. I know it would bring back all of those bad feelings, and actually of the few people I hung out with, none are going. Those who will be attending are the same jocks, cheerleaders, and club members that I never had anything in common with in high school. I'm glad I didn't spend my money on this!

Anyway, misskitty, I'm glad you are feeling better-- and you are right, there's nothing wrong with you. ;cheek
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;3207001;
    And I am surprised that most of those who attended seem to remember high school as a happy, fun, bonding time they will always cherish. For I do not remember high school like that at all. For me it as stressful, lonely, and unforgiving. And after last night, that memory remains the same for me.

I just for some reason (probably reading queenb's post) can totally match your feelings. My 3 years of middle school and 3 years of high school were just terrible, high school more than middle school. I was the kid who was taught to ignore if someone is bothering you, and many years later I told my mother that was a crock. I wasn't athletic, came from a different school than most others because of the districting and my Mom didn't want me to go to the neighborhood high school because it was full of hoodlums.

So i went to school, couldn't wait until 3:30 each day to get the hell out and go to my full time job. Graduation, I never looked back and could care less about anyone who went to that school.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My 20 year was a couple years ago and I didn't go to that because I didn't really hang around anyone in my class. They put together a first 10 years graduating classes thing (my school opened in 1976) and me and hubby went and it was pretty fun. I got to see some people not in my class that I hung around with more. But there were still the same cliques, a shame if you ask me, these people never seem to grow up

Funny how I just spent the last week helping my sister mentally prepare for her 20th which was this past weekend. She just called me today to tell me her thoughts and how she made it a priority to confront every person that she had an issue with at the event (she is very self-expressed). I don't know if Lildago went with her husband who was in the same class with her, but she really enjoyed it for the most part and cleaned up much her past.

I personally think it's an incredible opportunity to either resolve or move past some of the issues that still may be in your mind swirling around your head around high school. As previously mentioned on this thread, all the emotions and insecurities can come flooding back the moment you see these people and see them behaving in the same manner. You just have to have the right mindset and remember to be yourself in that moment, and tell yourself to stop worrying about everyone else's judgment. It's a lot easier to do at this point in your life than when you were young than you would imagine and can help bring closure to many issues.

For me, I came "out" to my closest friends and anyone who inquired, and found it to be one of the most liberating feelings EVER. I had deep conversations with people that I could only loathe or fear back in the day.

My sister was able to make a slightly "imbalanced" lifelong friend move past an unstated issue that had kept them apart for many years. The issue was never cleared up, as neither seemed to remember the exact reason, but they just agreed to move past that point in their life and be friends again.

She started talking to guy whom she confused for someone else, realizing 10 minutes into the conversation that it was someone that she had known since grade school and strongly disliked because she viewed him as a bully when very young. They had never interacted in High School. Upon the realization, she stopped the conversation and told him bluntly what she had thought of him back then, and asked him what he had thought of her. He responded by saying he came across as mean because he was bullied so much and extremely insecure. He thought she was really quiet and shy (which she is not), but then told her that had he known she was this interesting and fun, they would have been friends.

My sister also had strange expectations and had lost 30 lbs this year. She felt great, but felt slighted because she didn't win any of those awful awards (most changed, most eligible, most fertile, etc). I find it strange that she would need that sort of biased approval from these people after going through so much closure from issues, but sometimes we can't escape our need for approval and recognition, just like High School.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast