+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping Question

Car Shopping Question

Alright, here's the situation:

I've been driving the same car for the past 12+ years. I am FINALLY going to get a new (used, but new to me) car. I have had my heart set on a BMW for the past 4 years. We've been looking at them & I don't want anything else. However, one of the biggest knocks they get from consumers is about their cupholders (the biggest knock is against the i-drive, which I'm not too keen on either). Bigger cupholders was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to, believe it or not! I hate the cupholder in my current car. You can't put big drinks in it. You really can't fit anything beyond a very small drink in it.

OK, this is going to sound like a ridiculous question, but I'm going to go out on a limb and ask anyway:

would you not buy your dream car over a cupholder? I'm seriously reconsidering, as I consider it a comfort/convenience issue.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Re: Car Shopping Question

I wouldn't drink a big drink in my dream car. So the answer for me would be no, I wouldn't let it stop me.

For what it's worth, Cadillac did a whole ad on how one important factor in a woman's decision to buy a car is the cupholder. (Thank you CNBC, for burning this ad into my brain) So it's certainly an issue that some people consider, and if you'll be spending a lot of time in the car, it might be important. If you're going to have the car for awhile, you want it to be a car that you really like. Superficial though this may sound, I spent an entire lease cursing the fact that we decided not to get the option for the back of steering wheel radio controls.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to change your mind about a dream car-- perhaps you'll find an equally well-made car that's a better fit for you and decide to go that route. Or you can get the BMW and work around the cupholder situation.

It would depend on how often I was in my car and for how long. If having a big drink was something that I had on a regular, or daily basis and I all of a sudden wouldn't have the ability to do so.. then it would bother me.

But two things: 1) you haven't ever had bigger cupholders, so it wouldn't be different than now so it wouldn't be a takeaway option... just a dream that you thought you might be getting, and 2) is there something else to accomodate your desire for a bigger cupholder? For example, is there a center console that can be opened up that would accomodate a bigger drink with a small modification? A few of our cars (I work for GM) have a big cupholder inside the console and you can choose to use it as such, or use it as a normal console. Perhaps your dream car can work that way for you?

If it is a big deal and you can't accomodate it... then I'd say that it wouldn't be irrational at all to not buy the car. It will always bug you.

eta: yay, Missy, our ads work!!!!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I recently bought a BMW and the dealership where I bought mine is very accommodating. Try asking the sales person for help; they've probably encountered this issue before. My cup holder accommodates regular sized cups/cans, which really doesn't bother me. I don't want that much liquid that close to my nav system controller, given how klutzy I am.

Cup holders are not a big deal to me anyway--I never could understand why there is so much fuss over them. But if it's such a big deal to you, by all means find another brand of car that has cup holders you like.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Time for a guy's perspective:

I can't emphasize that enough.

I once had a car that would accomodate a large (44 oz, I think) insulated cup between the driver's and passenger's seat. When I traded up, I found that the new car wouldn't accomodate a Dixie cup, let alone my Vat of Liquid Inspiration. It was only annoying while I was fighting it. After a few days, I said, "no big deal" and started using the factory cup holders.

The moral: You'll adapt.

Or you can buy a Homer, designed by Homer Simpson for his brother Herb's car company. "Strong and powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf bat." As I recall, BIG drinkholders were one of the design criteria
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

My husband had a Peugeot 607 in Chile that had NO CUP HOLDERS It was really annoying. I have a car now that has a little insert that kind of adjusts to fit the size of the drink. I agree though, you'll adapt. Also, you can also find really tall skinny cups that will still fit and hold more volume. If you've had your heart set on a certain type of car I wouldn't let the cup holders put you off.

holly, I would certainly ask the dealership about this. My co-worker bought a BMW 3 series about a year ago and it has adjustable cupholders in the console. When we go pick up food those big 32 oz. cups fit just fine. I'm not sure how an enormous 44 ouncer would do, though. Since you're buying it used they might have some options for you, or they can keep an eye out for a model with those adjustable console things.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I once had a car that didn't have a trunk button in the glove box and it just irritated the heck out of me. I think that is one of the reasons that I ended up trading it off. What's trivial to one person may be a big deal to another. My husband has a Ford F250 truck and it has 4 cup holders in the front. Two of them are expandable to hold bigger cups. I love them but don't like driving the truck that much. Too big for me. I drive a Pontiac Bonneville and the cup holders are alright, but since I'm only 5'2", I have to put my seat way up to drive which makes it a bit awkward to reach the cup holder in the center counsel. But, I love my car and plan to keep it for several more years if it holds out mechanically.

I don't know if this is the slightest bit helpful to you or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast